Best car for 2 emtbs

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Thinking of selling my Transit and going back to a car. While I like the Transit I won't be entering any events so no need for something large enough to sleep in.

Ideally looking for something which is long enough to take 2 bikes inside with front wheel off and a fork mount arrangement so need decent floor to roof height.

Couple of dealerships from different makes I have spoken to don't think any of their estate cars will be tall enough and Citroen Berlingo type of cars are stupid money at the moment imho.

I also have 2 large dogs so SUV type is out of the question as they are too heavy to lift into the back.

Are any of you carrying the bikes inside their cars and if so what makes and models work with a fork mount on the floor rather than the bike flat on its side. I admit to being too lazy to take rear wheel of as well especially for driving to trails about 30 mins away.

Thanks in advance

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Thinking of selling my Transit and going back to a car. While I like the Transit I won't be entering any events so no need for something large enough to sleep in.

Ideally looking for something which is long enough to take 2 bikes inside with front wheel off and a fork mount arrangement so need decent floor to roof height.

Couple of dealerships from different makes I have spoken to don't think any of their estate cars will be tall enough and Citroen Berlingo type of cars are stupid money at the moment imho.

I also have 2 large dogs so SUV type is out of the question as they are too heavy to lift into the back.

Are any of you carrying the bikes inside their cars and if so what makes and models work with a fork mount on the floor rather than the bike flat on its side. I admit to being too lazy to take rear wheel of as well especially for driving to trails about 30 mins away.

Thanks in advance
I have a Nissan Elgrand and it is ideal, you can also fold down the seats to sleep in it.
The only problem is they're a 2.5 or 3.5 V6 petrol so they're thirsty.
I have mine LPG converted so it half's the fuel bill and makes the running costs acceptable
There's also no need to remove the front wheels as it is both long enough and tall enough

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I think you'll be stuck with a Berlingo type affair, I have a Mercedes C class estate, and although i can fit 2 bikes (or more) in the back, they will not be upright as the forks and bars will be too high.
I Have a Galaxy rental at the moment until I get my new company car and that fits in the bikes easily but they are expensive and in demand.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve got the use of a Yeti at the moment and it’s nowhere near big enough; ok, it’s not mine so I’m being careful with it but my S3 KSL won’t go in without removing both wheels.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I’ve got the use of a Yeti at the moment and it’s nowhere near big enough; ok, it’s not mine so I’m being careful with it but my S3 KSL won’t go in without removing both wheels.
Weird, i get a large rail in with the front wheel off no problem at all. Have also fitted a medium kenevo in at the same time with front wheel removed.
Have also had the large Rail and a large E160 in with front wheels removed.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Just get the car that suits you and your dog's and get a tow bar fitted and a duel ebike rack.
You won't regret it.
I've had 5 series estates etc and no matter what you get its a faff with heavy muddy ebikes.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Just get the car that suits you and your dog's and get a tow bar fitted and a duel ebike rack.
You won't regret it.
I've had 5 series estates etc and no matter what you get its a faff with heavy muddy ebikes.

totally agree. The rack on the truck is ideal, when I had a discovery it was still a faff and the boot would be covered in crap.

much easier to just stick the on the rack and not worry about it after a ride.

kombi van and fork mount I think is the ideal setup though tbh

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Weird, i get a large rail in with the front wheel off no problem at all. Have also fitted a medium kenevo in at the same time with front wheel removed.
Have also had the large Rail and a large E160 in with front wheels removed.
Can you take a pic next time please? I'm stuck with the Yeti for a couple of weeks.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Can you take a pic next time please? I'm stuck with the Yeti for a couple of weeks.
Here’s one I found when I was researching buying a yeti.

0119F011-7CAD-4B22-99F6-28E8821CEA2A.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What year is that Yeti and how easily do the rear seats come out? Or do you mean folded flat rather than removed?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
2014. The seats are designed to come straight out, just fold them over and pull a lever and they come straight out. Can even leave one in to lean the bike against.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Really clever system. I’m 99% sure the earlier yeti is the same in the back too, dimension wise.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The one I'm using is a 2014, I didn't realise the seats came out so easily.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Weird, i get a large rail in with the front wheel off no problem at all.
Quoting myself as I sit corrected, although I wouldn't do it with a dirty bike. Or a passenger; I had to move the seat so far forward even Warwick Davis would complain about the lack of leg room!

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
the problem and the reason why I got a van instead of a bike rack is that if you have a bike rack in the back of the car, the bike gets extremely dirty when you ride.

for and solve that problem, you have to have some kind of protection you put above the bike and I can not bear to bother with that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles