Bearings failing after 120 miles

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Took my Lapierre overvolt into my LBS for warranty work on my hub and they picked up on noisy motor bearings and play .
The bike has only covered 120 miles ! Anyone heard of bearings going so prematurely?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Unfortunately, yes.

Best/worst I’m aware of is 97 miles!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My first lasted 300ish miles (actually changed at 350) the second is well over 800.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
The Secret Bosch Manual says you should avoid heavy soaking the drive side of the motor (it has a low IPX water-proof-ness rating), and it states you should re-grease the seal behind the chain-ring.

I'm interested whether most of the failures we are experiencing are down to most people not being aware of these two points, or whether these are just bad units that you'll always see, statistically.

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
The Secret Bosch Manual says you should avoid heavy soaking the drive side of the motor (it has a low IPX water-proof-ness rating), and it states you should re-grease the seal behind the chain-ring.

I'm interested whether most of the failures we are experiencing are down to most people not being aware of these two points, or whether these are just bad units that you'll always see, statistically.

Interesting maybe Bosch should supply a maintenance manual with the bike, if I had a maintenance schedule I would follow it.
Not soaking the drive side is practically impossible unless you only ride in the 2 weeks of summer we have ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My LBS specifically told me not to do this as it may invalidate the warranty. I have ignored them.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
My LBS specifically told me not to do this as it may invalidate the warranty. I have ignored them

They told you not to grease behind the drive side seal yourself?!?!?

I do get the impression Bosch expects you to take the bike in to your LBS for servicing every 6 months. But seeing as they sell replacement seals and grease, I'd be surprised if they didn't expect customers to do it themselves.

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
They told you not to grease behind the drive side seal yourself?!?!?

I do get the impression Bosch expects you to take the bike in to your LBS for servicing every 6 months. But seeing as they sell replacement seals and grease, I'd be surprised if they didn't expect customers to do it themselves.
I had my bike in my lbs 50 miles before it failed it received a clean bill of health in regards to the motor, on the documentation next service due at 750 miles .
The shop mechanics seem to be under the impression the the motors are sealed for life.
My background is from mx and enduro the idea of not doing regular preventative seems bizarre.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
The shop mechanics seem to be under the impression the the motors are sealed for life.

This is the myth everyone has heard. At best it means its sealed TO YOU for life. But not to Bosch or the LBS who have to replace them when theyre not maintained.

I should be clear: Replacing the seal and grease does not involve going inside the motor. Don't go there. Its all reachable externally.

Bosch is moving in the right direction now. As I noted above, they sell seal/grease packs, they also now sell a relatively easy bearing replacement. But next, they do need to be a bit clearer about the DOs and DONTs and maintenance of the motor for the consumer.

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
This is the myth everyone has heard. At best it means its sealed TO YOU for life. But not to Bosch or the LBS who have to replace them when theyre not maintained.

I should be clear: Replacing the seal and grease does not involve going inside the motor. Don't go there. Its all reachable externally.

Bosch is moving in the right direction now. As I noted above, they sell seal/grease packs, they also now sell a relatively easy bearing replacement. But next, they do need to be a bit clearer about the DOs and DONTs and maintenance of the motor for the consumer.

They could learn a lot from companies like KTM , You get a really good owners manual which has the maintenance schedule and basic owner maintenance and a full parts catalogue.

The sealed for life was quoted to me only yesterday at my lbs ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles