Battery sleeve/cover for external e8010 battery?

-W-

Jan 6, 2019
Finland
There seems to be lot of different neoprene sleeves/covers for Bosch external batteries and also some for older Shimano ones. But I haven't been able to find any which would fit to e8010 battery.

Has someone beeing able to find one, and not just some "general" one (because it should have a really snug fit to do some good).

Othervise I wouldn't bother of using one, but since living in Finland and also loving winter riding, temperatures below -10c aren't totally uncommon to me..
315836_2857445.jpg

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I didn't have an issue with the battery last winter riding in below freezing weather.

My toes, on the other hand, did get cold. I bought these toe thingys last year, but have not tried them yet.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
There seems to be lot of different neoprene sleeves/covers for Bosch external batteries and also some for older Shimano ones. But I haven't been able to find any which would fit to e8010 battery.

Has someone beeing able to find one, and not just some "general" one (because it should have a really snug fit to do some good).

Othervise I wouldn't bother of using one, but since living in Finland and also loving winter riding, temperatures below -10c aren't totally uncommon to me..

I made one from 3mm neoprene, makes a big difference in range especially on longer rides. Without it, the last two bars were gone in no time but having the cover it's closer to normal.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 12.52.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 12.52.55 PM.jpg

-W-

Jan 6, 2019
Finland
Thanks Tamas - it is nice to hear that those truly make some difference! (y)

I think your version is also good because it covers battery almost completely - I have seen some of sleeves just covering half of battery, or the part which goes between battery and frame is thin plastic/nylon = cold aluminum basically against the battery (I assume that thin neoprene also goes between frame and battery in your version?).

But if you cover it almost completely it should be like putting your mobile phone to the pocket of warm winter jacket = battery stays at decent condition (but if you take your phone out of jacket the performance of battery will drop quite fast).

Maybe I need to ask some sewing help from missis.. ;)

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thanks Tamas - it is nice to hear that those truly make some difference! (y)

I think your version is also good because it covers battery almost completely - I have seen some of sleeves just covering half of battery, or the part which goes between battery and frame is thin plastic/nylon = cold aluminum basically against the battery (I assume that thin neoprene also goes between frame and battery in your version?).

But if you cover it almost completely it should be like putting your mobile phone to the pocket of warm winter jacket = battery stays at decent condition (but if you take your phone out of jacket the performance of battery will drop quite fast).

Maybe I need to ask some sewing help from missis.. ;)
Yes, it completely wraps around it as there is enough space for the 3mm neoprene between the frame and the battery.

Reactions: njn

-W-

Jan 6, 2019
Finland
Considering how good heat transfer capabilities aluminum has, I prefer to wrap only the battery inside of neoprene and not also aluminum frame if possible.

Because basically that aluminum frame/down tube inside of neoprene will be almost as cold as rest of the frame outside of neoprene = at least one side of battery will be pretty cold.

Always this isn´t possible of course and then wrapping everything inside of neoprene is for sure much better than nothing. But just touching the aluminum frame with your bare hand in -15c gives the idea about this and I want to give all the help to battery which I can... :p

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Considering how good heat transfer capabilities aluminum has, I prefer to wrap only the battery inside of neoprene and not also aluminum frame if possible.

Because basically that aluminum frame/down tube inside of neoprene will be almost as cold as rest of the frame outside of neoprene = at least one side of battery will be pretty cold.

Always this isn´t possible of course and then wrapping everything inside of neoprene is for sure much better than nothing. But just touching the aluminum frame with your bare hand in -15c gives the idea about this and I want to give all the help to battery which I can... :p
For that matter he could fix some neoprene or similar to the frame where the battery meets

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I bought this neoprencover and its fits very good on my Merida eonesixty 900e...

That’s a great price in that one , I bought the same one on eBay at £16 it’s not a bad fit , does the job ok

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I was eyeing up this one - I know its meant for an integrated battery but I like the way it covers up everything

https://www.thelittlebikeshop.co.uk/product-page/e-bike-battery-cover-integrated-frame-tube-battery

View attachment 9442
I like that too , have you got one ? Wondering how well it would fit a normal surface mount battery .
I also been thinking about popping a little hand warmer heat pack inside the battery cover on cold days Wether it would help battery life

-W-

Jan 6, 2019
Finland
6Ri2fF1jQhOD0gxXBBAmb9gejiSBG64r4N3svvvQjTmMQEIpu_Oay1IDPCwn9jKmI_7UreModFvIcCQQZng4AiBpv6QtVidSuc1x7kjnqscqrH6S3bZtR2ZKpTAISH-lhvy7p0IaFs-8lsEf-mPb8x7ZTPF4CjFwz4PH9D4lB6PXXjHOUDDcI4Zmkhi-WioyIsrQfSumx9rXjJj9V2wT7DcUoawBjDxZrWfPSlcQEPQAXZMrtLCIqePe4ccHCsn5F9_d1oEKJ38hURexIyOkZIJ38oUvuHlg2BPL2e1LRG6HcyHj3KpFvVKVULVg4_GGLTrdpOcDH4uTB-blztlFoW8alBBZ51xu0nScnzTOk7G3Gc2Uz0Mf5ZTekfZt5mJoZqseYq3sTkv7cEqRI58dLzbJRdCmnVeRa1SD2pXS6RMpnt2X2Uge1jSjVyCIyxQhBaVUie5rjtWg-d3JTkcMcSz5aZ9C7ngz0y_rSc6bY36td6hTJzCvh7TFw60MgvJIymaWr3aw5lC0LibZqTy0sCBCGKguumCXk-pQmh1ePT4mnX3Dq9xcpjpfpXh7-T_604U3L4iYh64Pu8N7y25jwvG5plixVBoReYzo0JCncUM0O617OU8yOPlVq7exKgAkitzHlkL3360UQliAbXQus_Uh=w800-h549-no

Hopefully it does something good - at least it was much more costly than buying something of the shelf.. :LOL:

Ended up buying this neoprene: Neoprene 3 mm, Fabric on Both Sides | Shelby

Not the cheapest, but got that fast and the quality of it seems to be really good: excellent flexibility and laminating of fabrics is good. Also that Pattex transparent contact glue sticks so good in that one, that I didn´t even sew the seams - just glued.

Last edited:

kane

May 16, 2018
Brechin, Scotland
Does anyone use the downtube electric cups to protect the battery ports when its on a bike rack? I have a Devinci ac , and it has an e8020 internal battery. I can’t find any caps to protect my ports . I’m cling filming the frame at the moment ,but it’s a pain in the hoop.

kane

May 16, 2018
Brechin, Scotland

EVO46

Jan 26, 2019
NL
To try it fiets wel M-wave battery protector. bought by Hollandbikeshop.com. Artnr 561824 € 12.95

IMG_20190205_173720.jpg

IMG_20190205_173803.jpg

IMG_20190205_173832.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles