Battery Reach

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK
Fist ride in Sunday for my 6.9 drifter. Mainly trail and eco mode and about 2000ft of climbing. Managed to only get 18 miles out of the the battery - what’s a bit disappointed. What are your experiences. Would get about 30 out of my 2019 Levo and the same for the Cube with Bosch setup

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Fist ride in Sunday for my 6.9 drifter. Mainly trail and eco mode and about 2000ft of climbing. Managed to only get 18 miles out of the the battery - what’s a bit disappointed. What are your experiences. Would get about 30 out of my 2019 Levo and the same for the Cube with Bosch setup
Your previous bikes had significantly more battery capacity - 500Wh min, potentially even 700Wh (depending on model) for the Levo. Without a Tec pack the Jam only has 378Wh, or ~32% less than a 500WH battery. That aligns reasonably well with the range you are getting, though if you were riding with a Tec pack I would agree that is pretty awful and you should take it back for a check at the LBS that sold it to you.

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi jimmyjam,
I've just done a 20 mile ride on my Jam2. 1500ft of climbing and THREE bars of battery left.
The computer says 17 miles Eco, 13 miles trail or 9 miles Boost remaining.
The big difference being that my bike is tuned down.
If you're interested in down tuning, take a look at my thread :
"Focus Jam2 - Set up nirvana achieved ".
It's even easier to down tune since I started that thread with latest Shimano E-tube update that lets you turn Eco down.
Give it a go, you'll get much more range out of the integrated battery, but you'll have to put a bit more effort in.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Just back from riding the Breks trail in Suffolk..mostly flat but a lot of sandy tracks which drag at the wheels.
Not much elevation so did some of it OFF I have changed trail and boost as per this thread.
I weigh approx 67 kg and emptied my TECK Battey over the 41 mile round trip. Pretty good I thought.
Keep Pedaling

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I turned ECO down to low recently and already had Trail and Boost set to low. It's a lot easier on the parts like chains and cassettes and gives a pretty good workout. But I found myself shifting into Trail more often. I had one ride of 23 miles and about 1600 feet of climbing with 4 bars left. I recently turned Eco to medium and like it a bit more. I had 21 miles on my last ride with 4 bars left and 1700 feet but I think it was ready to go to 3 bars. Eventually I'll go back to low with ECO. I'm still recovering from a bad shoulder crash on my Giant Anthem 2.

Last edited:

Billy1mate

Apr 17, 2019
Dorset
The South Downs Way won’t be possible on bike battery on day 1 and TEC pack on day 2 then by the above reckoning? It’s 100 miles split 50/50.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
The South Downs Way won’t be possible on bike battery on day 1 and TEC pack on day 2 then by the above reckoning? It’s 100 miles split 50/50.
Maybe if you use ECO set to low 90% of the time. Switch to off on downhills and also maybe on flats, it could be possible. At least the first day will tell you. I might be able to squeeze 50 miles and 3K out of the standard battery in a low eco mode but it would be work.

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
18 miles and 2000ft is about right, that's what I typically get on my jam squared c plus 378 WH battery. I am 100kg and it's mostly off road.
If I go on flat tarmac I can get 40 miles plus.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
18 miles and 2000ft is about right, that's what I typically get on my jam squared c plus 378 WH battery..

I agree, That's why I bought an E-Booz range extender (think Trailwatts might also do them now). I have a TEC pack but that can be a bit overkill.

Also, I don't see the point in turning support levels down so low that the 'fun' of an e-mtb is also reduced.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I agree, That's why I bought an E-Booz range extender (think Trailwatts might also do them now). I have a TEC pack but that can be a bit overkill.

Also, I don't see the point in turning support levels down so low that the 'fun' of an e-mtb is also reduced.

I like the idea of the TEC pack but it's too big really, I'm hoping the Trailwatts one is available soon. I only need the extra battery for about ten miles or so.

I have eco and trail on medium setting but leave boost on high as its fun to use all the available power sometimes :D

steve_acp

Aug 14, 2019
Clun
My run top Hopton bike park and back plus one circuit of the big red trail (19 miles, 3200 ft) can be done on one charge finishing on the final red bar. Using mainly trail mode. 92 kg.

I now have the Tec pack... it’s liberating, removing any battery anxiety and allowing me to explore some very steep climbs in the local woods and hills. Loving this bike.

Interestingly, before buying the focus I borrowed a levo COMP carbon, default settings, and on a similar run, 21 miles and 3500 feet, the battery died at 20 miles. I wonder if the extra torque of the brose motor results in higher average current consumption?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My run top Hopton bike park and back plus one circuit of the big red trail (19 miles, 3200 ft) can be done on one charge finishing on the final red bar. Using mainly trail mode. 92 kg.

I now have the Tec pack... it’s liberating, removing any battery anxiety and allowing me to explore some very steep climbs in the local woods and hills. Loving this bike.

Interestingly, before buying the focus I borrowed a levo COMP carbon, default settings, and on a similar run, 21 miles and 3500 feet, the battery died at 20 miles. I wonder if the extra torque of the brose motor results in higher average current consumption?

True, the TEC battery is a bit of a lump (it's seems to be bigger than the Shimano 504wh battery) but with that on the bike, the world is your oyster.

The trouble is that whilst range anxiety with the TEC battery is a thing of the past, I have now developed rubbish motor and possibility dodgy warranty anxiety with my E8000 motor

steve_acp

Aug 14, 2019
Clun
True, the TEC battery is a bit of a lump (it's seems to be bigger than the Shimano 504wh battery) but with that on the bike, the world is your oyster.

The trouble is that whilst range anxiety with the TEC battery is a thing of the past, I have now developed rubbish motor and possibility dodgy warranty anxiety with my E8000 motor

Is that cos of riding with too much boost ☺️ Why would the warranty be affected? The tec pack is Shimano approved??

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I ride a Spesh levo expert (700w batt) yesterday did a 27 mile 2800 ft climbs and 3 hrs of riding. Weigh (ahem) 95kg with minion on the front at 19psi and an Eddie current on rear at 21psi. Rode all of it in trail mode with a wingman who rides a new Whyte with the Bosch motor. We both got the same range. I got back to the car with 7% left.

steve_acp

Aug 14, 2019
Clun

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles