Battery question(s)

Bradsocal

Sep 9, 2021
Socal
Any idea if the rise would work without the internal battery, using the range extender only? The bike peddles surprising well with the motor off and would be even better minus the 4 lbs of the internal battery? I’m thinking about bike parks and shuttle runs without the added weight, and using the extender for longer non shuttled rides. It would be like having a regular enduro/trail bike with a motor option? Its Just a thought, had my rise for a few weeks now and loving it. Coming from a FF niner WFO.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
There was a question yesterday regarding a SantaCruz bike with the same words....allmost.
SantaCruz support said the bike was not testet without the battery, so any damaged to the bike would be on your own.

It might be the same issue with this bike....it might loose strength if run without the battery inserted.
The mechanics.....well, I guess it's just to try it out - it's not very difficult to remove the battery.

Bikes with the Fazua is more suited to this situation.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Looking at the white paper, which orbea calls the blue paper... it appears that the wiring for the power button, charging port, main battery connection and motor connection point are all on the same harness. It does not appear to have a pass through of the harness from the charging port directly to the motor, which means to me, the range extender will almost certainly not function or pass power to the motor, without the main battery in place. Expanding on that, the range extender may actually be relying on the main battery for BMS and sensors as well... I have no evidence to back that up, just a hunch. Which is all a moot point entirely, because there would be no functioning power button, which if I were designing it, and an end user could damage the system by running it without the main battery in place, would be a pretty smart way to design it to ensure that would never happen.

Regarding taking 4lbs off of the bike, I think that it would not at all be worth it. I have a 38oz water bottle that I use on a trail bike that weighs in at 28.5 lbs. That 38oz water bottle comes in at 2.4lbs when full. I cannot tell the difference in weight of the bike with the bottle full or empty while riding it. Maybe, in certain situations, with 1.6 more pounds (equaling 4lbs) I could tell the difference, but I highly doubt it.

BLcu0Pg.jpg

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Orbea has said that this bike CANNOT be used without the internal battery, as it is part of the frame. I mean that the battery is required to ensure the structure integrity of the frame. No warranty claim is valid if the frame breaks for using it without the battery.

Bradsocal

Sep 9, 2021
Socal
Thanks for the replies, I never thought about the battery adding structural integrity to the frame.. it was just a thought I had and figured I’d run it past the group.. thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles