Battery lock won't open

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
As the title says ....

So went biking in Kinlochleven on Saturday and I kept getting an error code on the way down. I just had to reset and away I went, but the ride was juddery.

At the bottom a few of the boys had a look and suggested Iremove the battery and then put it back in. However I could only get the key part way in the lock so couldn't get the battery out. Turned out the the problem was the magnet at the rear wheel had spun round so was reset and problem solved.

But I still had the problem with the lock and battery. Got it back to the car park and with some wd40 and persistence we managed to get the lock and key working again.

Got home yesterday and went to put the battery on charge and now can't get key in at all. Went through the same process and got the key but it just wont turn the barrel at all.

Anyone had this problem before? Any ideas?

Cheers

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Sounds like maybe there's some crud in there? I have had the lock get stiff one in a while, and just lubed it up and sorted it - you can get replacement lock sets easily enough.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Sounds like maybe there's some crud in there? I have had the lock get stiff one in a while, and just lubed it up and sorted it - you can get replacement lock sets easily enough.

Thanks for the reply and yip ... I think so. After getting it cleaned out and a blast with compressed air it was fine. Then I got home and it had locked up again.

I also meant to say ... I was sure there was a little lock cover that slides down to stop anything getting in to the lock, bit when i asked the mates, all of theres were uncovered. So spoke to Shimano mechanic at Fort William on Saturday and he said that they do have a little cover to protect the lock but its probably jammed up and wont come down.

Buying a new lock for £10 isn't the problem .... its getting the existing lock opened so I can remove the old lock that's the issue ?

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
Blast it with loads of WD40. I had a frozen lock that defeated all efforts for an hour. Read up on t'internet, was dubious but low and behold, the lock suddenly went back to full working order.

Its MAGIC I tell you!
Or
The WD40 washes through the lock and it's workings removing tiny sand like particles to free everything up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles