battery extender issues with www.extenderbattery.com

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
I brought a battery extender from www.extenderbattery.com it was the 256w extender that would fit in a water bottle change. On the website the extender looked like it would be perfect for what I need. Most of the guys I ride with now have 625 or 700w batteries so this would allow me to carry on ridding my Giant Trance SX e+ 0 pro for a few more years as it is perfect for what I need. Also as my Trance is a 2019 the warranty is almost up and as it was an ex demo bike and only cost me £2,800 I thought I would give it a go.

The battery turn up and all looked good, you have to hard wire these extender in and that was not an issue either. So charged the extender ready for my next ride for a route I have done many time so I know what the standard battery would normally be. Anyway it did not work. Read the website again and checked my wiring again, no issues.

So put a multi meter on it and found it was putting out 43v and not the standard 36v. I was told by an electrician mate that this could have caused damage to the bike. Lucky my bike seems ok at the moment and I have removed the extender.

I am still in discussions with the guy in Italy when there are based and he has said said it back. This will cost another £60 as it is not light.

So has anyone else had any experience of these/this guy ? Or is it just bad luck ?

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Hi,
36V is the nominal voltage for the battery but the real value is between 42V (when fully charged) and 29V (when empty). If you measure 43V on the extender it means that it is fully charged.
It is better to connect the extender to the battery when they are both fully charged so they will discharge together on the bike (even if there is a protection diode).
How did you connect it to the bike ?

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
Thank for the information as that really helped. YOU wire it in as per the photo attached. This worked ok and if I put a multi meter in the plug on the end of the cable I have just added i get 36v so I know the cable is correct.

So they say turn the bike on and after all the lights come on on the controller then plug in the battery. It will drain both batteries at the same time.

trancewiring.jpg

Struthbooth

Nov 20, 2019
Perth Western Australia
Hey,
Any update on your Battery extender? How did it go on your trance? Would you recommend getting one?
I am thinking of something simular for my Stance. There just isnt alot of options out there.

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
In the end the issue was with the plug between he battery and cable on the bike ( it has a pug so you can remove it). So once I put a decent plug on it worked fine and does what is says on the box. So I have a 500wh main battery and a 252wh extender. Works as it should, very basic with no lights or switches, just plug in a go.

I have the Trance SX 0 Pro so the coil rear shox would touch it if it was in the water bottle holder, so have it under the top bar. But if you have a show with out the extender can then it would fit in the bottle holder.

I wired mine in and drilled an hole behind where the bottle holder is and the cable comes though there. Yes may be a bit over the top but I did not want water getting in when the cable comes out the motor housing. Also when I remove it I can out a small bung int he hole to cover it up.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
Hi,
36V is the nominal voltage for the battery but the real value is between 42V (when fully charged) and 29V (when empty). If you measure 43V on the extender it means that it is fully charged.
It is better to connect the extender to the battery when they are both fully charged so they will discharge together on the bike (even if there is a protection diode).
How did you connect it to the bike ?
Hi
I bought an 252wh xtender from trailwatts for my focus jam2 2019. It started to play up first ride. I thought you could run just by itself but was told to run when internal battery at 100%. In my mind it sort of negates the whole extender philosophy of whacking a charged extender in backpack or car then use when internsl battery is empty.
I posted a few weeks ago but didbt get any feedback so you opinion would be aporeciated.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles