Battery eco mode test

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Thought i would see how far i could get on full battery on eco mode ,wife away so had day pass. Started great Buckie to Finichty along beach then going up Sheepies road a narrow overgrown singletrack technical climb which i cleaned lest week . Have started to play with mission control so dropped accelaration and a few other things. Stopped half way up the steep bit so trying to get going again went right over edge roly poly ( the acceleration is something i need to get used to ) . Rolled 10 feet or so all ok but will be stiff tomorow the back or rib area twisted i think. Anyway carried on along the coast track as far as Findlater Castle and going back towards Bin hill 17 miles so far stopped for lunch , mission control cut off connection. Decided as back stiffening i would not carry on test so zonked the power up to Turbo and up to top of Bin hill and back home that was just over another 17 miles home on full piff 18 percent left in battery . So impressed with battery life 34 miles just wonder what i would get on just eco .Im 15.5 stone in the scud . Will have to retest on eco watch this space.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Looks very good to me, I'm similar weight to you and on steps system e8000 and on eco 90% and trail 10% I can manage 28 miles with 600m of climbing. Battery has less than 10% left.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Either I have a conservative riding style, or the motor and cells on my Giant are really good. I seem to end my 20 mile plus rides with around 40% or more remaining.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Either I have a conservative riding style, or the motor and cells on my Giant are really good. I seem to end my 20 mile plus rides with around 40% or more remaining.
Not an expert but probably not far out I was about same maybe 25 miles coming home with 40 ish thats why i need to have a good test run on eco just to see how far I can go never mind abody else

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I'm also heavily built at around fifteen and a half stone, got a 50 miler across the South Downs next month planned in so getting a little range anxiety, I need to ride from Petersfield to Brighton on a charge if possible.

Bilko

Aug 18, 2018
Dorset
Managed 59 miles in Eco on my Giant Dirt-e pro with a couple of squrts of full power for a couple of short hills. I will get 60 if it kills me :)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'm also heavily built at around fifteen and a half stone, got a 50 miler across the South Downs next month planned in so getting a little range anxiety, I need to ride from Petersfield to Brighton on a charge if possible.
Not clue about South downs area but sounds good

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.

I'd say that's a stretch on a 500Wh battery, how hilly is the route?

Topov

I have managed 42 miles and 3000ft of climbing on My Kenevo riding very conservatively, was 30% road aswell, but really don't want to ride like that all of the time, usually a blast in the surrey hills will get 24miles of fun riding

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
I have managed 42 miles and 3000ft of climbing on My Kenevo riding very conservatively, was 30% road aswell, but really don't want to ride like that all of the time, usually a blast in the surrey hills will get 24miles of fun riding

yeah i ride in the surrey / Dorking areas i can only get around the 20 ish miles in, just changed to 2.6 tyres to see whether that makes any difference

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
Remember tires selection do make a difference and PSI.

yeah since owning the bike i have been running 2.6 Marys but the rear one is dead now so went for 2.6s minions EXO+ MaxxTerra so thinking thinking that will help as on a normal bike Marys are normally slower rolling at lower PSI

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well got proper test today 41miles all on eco 30 was off road , 3300 feet gained not sure how accurate that is . 15 percent left so happy with that can now plan a few old favourites.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Look in Mission Control and it'll tell you how many Wh you used on the ride - better than relying on bars for this kind of thing. I guess other brand's apps may do the same.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Look in Mission Control and it'll tell you how many Wh you used on the ride - better than relying on bars for this kind of thing. I guess other brand's apps may do the same.
So my app says 601 used and app also saying 15 percent left so that adds up does it , I'm not sire about all this stuff

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
So my app says 601 used and app also saying 15 percent left so that adds up does it , I'm not sire about all this stuff

that'd be about right for a 700Wh battery.

which is why Wh means more than battery %ge, because my battery is 500Wh and I'd have been pedalling my 48lb bike a few miles by now.

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
East Kilbride, Glasgow Scotland
I got 44 miles yesterday on an E8000 shimano with a 504wh battery. Came back with about 20-25% (2 lights) left on the battery. I’m 85kilos and ride mainly in ECO. Was about 2700ft of climbing.

Does anyone know how accurate the E-Tube app is at estimating range in each mode. On a full charge mines is estimating 78k running on ECO. I ask this as I am comparing to my old giant stance bike with a 504wh battery and was estimated at 149k on a full charge and could easily do 105k in one ride and have at least 15% battery left. My new bike is a canyon with the E8000 shimano system, same size battery but looking at what the app says I don’t think I’ll be going as far on this one.

Only had the bike a few days so not fully tested yet, 44miles in my furthest so far.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I do not know if that changed but some months back a few reported that the light were just an approximation, not reliable.
It seems some systems give an approximation according to recent situation so at top of some hill it might be different than 3 minutes before or after.
You probably know, tires, tire pressure, surface wind counts so is cadence etc... Also your eco might be set different than my eco so trust yourself any answer is potentialy wrong. I know i can do 4 hrs, more if i choose to go for range. Changing gears like a normal bike helps.
When you find out share if the range is similar or witch has more, many look at that subject.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I had a brief taste of the South Downs Way yesterday ( stupidly hot day ) with my motor settings detuned via the app as an experiment. One steep climb in particular was a real lung buster. We stopped at its summit and stared back to the start point across the downs and realised what a killer its gonna be for me.

I now know for sure that (as I only have one battery) I will need to carry my charger and find a pub at the mid-ride point otherwise I will be exhausted before rides end, along with my battery.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Some very short distances for eco. I get 20 miles on turbo with some flat and some hills 1600-2000 ft climbing. 2.8 tyres,500w Bosch, 15stone and 2.5 year old battery.

John K

May 30, 2019
Brighton, UK.

It could be a stretch but thankfully the Downs between Petersfield and Worthing are not as demanding as those at Brighton. If you eco 90% of the time and trail 10% you might just make it.

If you make it all the way to Steyning (SDW between Worthing and Brighton) then there's no way you'll make it up the next hill above Brighton, Truleigh Hill. Just cycle towards the sea on the Downs Link path along the river Adur and take the coastal route to finish off.

If at any point your batteries run out post-Amberley and you get forced into eco mode then just head south to one of the many train stations along the coast and catch one to Hove or Brighton.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles