Levo Gen 2 Battery cover/warmer?

Exrm193

Dec 18, 2020
Herts
Neoprene battery cover/warmer........now the shite weather is upon us, does anyone have a battery cover/warmer? I had one for my Haibike, but can't anything for the Levo....
Cheers

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Having an outside cover over the battery inside the frame does basically nothing. I use a heating pad to warm up my battery or remove it and place it in front of the heater on my way to the trail. Starting with a warm battery and continuously using it to keep it warm is your best bet.
Once it's really cold, it takes a ton of time to warm up at the low amp draw it experiences.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Having an outside cover over the battery inside the frame does basically nothing. I use a heating pad to warm up my battery or remove it and place it in front of the heater on my way to the trail. Starting with a warm battery and continuously using it to keep it warm is your best bet.
Once it's really cold, it takes a ton of time to warm up at the low amp draw it experiences.
Starting a ride with cold battery is a bad idea anyway. But by having bike/battery inside the house and going on a very cold weather ride, a neoprene battery cover/sleeve does help keeping the battery a bit more warm during the ride. I use this Basil Universal battery cover, but my tailor had to modify it a bit because Levo does have quite small circumference of the downtube compared to other bikes:

1639694784910.png

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
So then those of us who ride all winter in -15 to -20 c are slowly destroying our batteries ? Face it a piece of neoprene wrapped around a battery and frame aren’t going to cut it at those temps. 🥶

CruJones

Nov 24, 2021
USA
Face it a piece of neoprene wrapped around a battery and frame aren’t going to cut it at those temps. 🥶

I can't believe they are charging 50 GBP for that wrap. LOL There's no way that thing does anything after 5 mins and I'd be surprised if it actually provided a noticeable improvement at all.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Charging in a cold garage will not damage your battery at the .25c rate most chargers use. There could be a problem if you fully charge at a hot temperature and then the temperature drops 30c+. Lower temperatures will increase static voltage but it would take an extreme temperature change and most manufacturers keep a small buffer. For example my kenevo battery stops at 4.16 volts per cell.

Even at 1c or approximately 20amps you still won't have a problem as long as you are above freezing.

Storing at full charge and running below 10% will significantly shorten your battery life.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles