• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Battery bolt on Levo Expert

Binhill1

๐ŸŠ Tango Man ๐ŸŠ
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Looking for a longer bolt for levo expert . Fitted aluminium bash plate not a lot of thread using original bolt probably lost 5mm. Spec is M12x1.25x10mm. Probably looking for 15mm. Know best place for bolts. Nothing locally to me

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Specialized have done this for a reason, I think because it goes into a blind hole, in a brass insert I think, and this allows the air to get out as you screw it in. By the way it is alloy. Also every ride at the moment is a mucky one and the hole gets blocked so not sure any of this matters.

Binhill1

๐ŸŠ Tango Man ๐ŸŠ
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Specialized have done this for a reason, I think because it goes into a blind hole, in a brass insert I think, and this allows the air to get out as you screw it in. By the way it is alloy. Also every ride at the moment is a mucky one and the hole gets blocked so not sure any of this matters.
Ah I see clear as mud eh. As you say it's chocked with mud just blew through it. Yes goes into brass right enough might struggle to get similar but I think it needs to be longer as losing 5mm with the bash plate. Thanks

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Perhaps another thing to bear in mind is the job of this bolt. Torque is 6.2Nm, not a lot for such a big bolt. I wonder if it's not so much about fastening the whole battery in as fastening itself in and acting as a kind of peg for the battery to hang from.

Binhill1

๐ŸŠ Tango Man ๐ŸŠ
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Perhaps another thing to bear in mind is the job of this bolt. Torque is 6.2Nm, not a lot for such a big bolt. I wonder if it's not so much about fastening the whole battery in as fastening itself in and acting as a kind of peg for the battery to hang from.
Yes see w
Doesn't move about either I'm just concerned only getting couple of turns in now with bash plate. Saying that 750 miles seems ok

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Just checked the bolt connecting the bash guard to the battery as it also screws into a brass bush. It's alloy, looks like specialized don't like steel bolts screwing into brass.

Binhill1

๐ŸŠ Tango Man ๐ŸŠ
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Just checked the bolt connecting the bash guard to the battery as it also screws into a brass bush. It's alloy, looks like specialized don't like steel bolts screwing into brass.
Your on the ball Kenny must be engineering background. So I need to get alloy just a wee bit longer, getting more Speacialized as we speak. My aluminium extra bash guard i am adding on approx 4mm thread.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Just had a wee look round the internet, brass and steel threads leads to corrosion. Purely as an aside, the motor mounting bolts are also alloy, wonder if there is brass bush in there - also there are brass bushes in the engine cover, wonder if the screws are alloy. Have you considered counter boring the new bash guard?

Binhill1

๐ŸŠ Tango Man ๐ŸŠ
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Just had a wee look round the internet, brass and steel threads leads to corrosion. Purely as an aside, the motor mounting bolts are also alloy, wonder if there is brass bush in there - also there are brass bushes in the engine cover, wonder if the screws are alloy. Have you considered counter boring the new bash guard?
Looking for 5 mm dinna think I would get that much to be honest if I counter bored it. Chase up bolt folk tomorrow

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Not if the bolt head is seated against the bash guard. The force goes straight into the bash guard. If the bolt thread is a bit long the force will go into the bottom of the insert.

Binhill1

๐ŸŠ Tango Man ๐ŸŠ
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Seems a high risk way to fix a bash guard anyway imho. Any impact is fed direct via the scree to the brass threaded insert in the battery.
Could be right there some big rocks clattering off it on some of the hill tracks i've come down . One managed to knock the battery plug out the other week. Going to see if i can get some big squares of Velcro and try that .

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The only time I have had an impact on that bit of my bike was a rock step on a climb...in which case any guard would act as a skid plate. What is needed then is not only surface protection but distribution of the impact.

Binhill1

๐ŸŠ Tango Man ๐ŸŠ
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The only time I have had an impact on that bit of my bike was a rock step on a climb...in which case any guard would act as a skid plate. What is needed then is not only surface protection but distribution of the impact.
Don't want to lose any more clearance for bash plate I'm no lightweight. Rocks can bounce off any thing just pot luck what they hit , big tyres are great but throw a lot of crap up at you .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles