Basingstoke Newbie

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Hi,
Just joined at the recommendation of my trail mate ‘Cakey Boy’

Mad about bikes as a kid / teenager, but got lost in the wilderness for a time. Been back in the saddle for a few years now and loving it even more than I did as a kid. Purchased my first hard tail ebike 18 months ago; definitely the way forward for a 50 something who enjoys the mud. Upgrading to full suspension soon and looking forward to meeting some of you on the rides.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Hi fella, I’m in Basingstoke too (Chineham). Mainly ride at Swinley, QECP, Forest of Dean etc.. keen to expand horizons and try new places including the forum group ride in Surrey on the 27th. Found much riding in the Basingstoke area? Keep meaning to try Pamber Forest (Silchester) and Beyans Enclosure near Mortimer.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I'm based about 6 miles from Swinley but work in winchester so pass basingstoke often. Same as above, is there much riding there? I know a mate who likes to head down to Forest of dean who lives in Basingstoke whereas I just stick local to swinley or ride up to surrey hills :)

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I'm based about 6 miles from Swinley but work in winchester so pass basingstoke often. Same as above, is there much riding there? I know a mate who likes to head down to Forest of dean who lives in Basingstoke whereas I just stick local to swinley or ride up to surrey hills :)

Bramshill Plantation near Yateley has a bit of potential, it’s a large area and on first visit seems pan flat with horse bridleways but if you venture over the back there is some elevation and it gets a bit more interesting. Not been over there since I got my ebike, keep meaning to explore and see what’s there’s.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Bramshill Plantation near Yateley has a bit of potential, it’s a large area and on first visit seems pan flat with horse bridleways but if you venture over the back there is some elevation and it gets a bit more interesting. Not been over there since I got my ebike, keep meaning to explore and see what’s there’s.
Oh yes, used to live by Bramshill and know the area well. Also lived in yateley. The riding there is fun, mainly faster due to simpler terrain but still you have a good time as you will be exploring :)

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Oh yes, used to live by Bramshill and know the area well. Also lived in yateley. The riding there is fun, mainly faster due to simpler terrain but still you have a good time as you will be exploring :)

Ah ... you sound a lot more familiar with the area than me. Is there much there off the beaten track?

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Hi fella, I’m in Basingstoke too (Chineham). Mainly ride at Swinley, QECP, Forest of Dean etc.. keen to expand horizons and try new places including the forum group ride in Surrey on the 27th. Found much riding in the Basingstoke area? Keep meaning to try Pamber Forest (Silchester) and Beyans Enclosure near Mortimer.
Mainly trails around the outlying villages of Basingstoke. Aim to get a little more adventurous, hoping to join the Surrey ride, as picking up a full suspension bike this Saturday and Swinley in the not too distant.

Cakey boy

Aug 14, 2018
Hampshire
Me and @Frankieboy live the other end of Basingstoke to yourself we have some good routes around the candovers and up around watership down if you or anyone fancy’s hooking up for a ride around this way give us a shout !

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Hi,
Just joined at the recommendation of my trail mate ‘Cakey Boy’

Mad about bikes as a kid / teenager, but got lost in the wilderness for a time. Been back in the saddle for a few years now and loving it even more than I did as a kid. Purchased my first hard tail ebike 18 months ago; definitely the way forward for a 50 something who enjoys the mud. Upgrading to full suspension soon and looking forward to meeting some of you on the rides.
You must be cakey boys mate who's buying the cube action team
Let me just tell you what a great bike that is...as all cubes seem to be.....welcome to the forum. Hope to see you both soon on the trails.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Me and @Frankieboy live the other end of Basingstoke to yourself we have some good routes around the candovers and up around watership down if you or anyone fancy’s hooking up for a ride around this way give us a shout !

I’d definately be up for that. I’ve done a couple of Evans sportives locally which go around the Candovers but mainly on fire roads and bridleways. Must be some more interesting trails.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
You must be cakey boys mate who's buying the cube action team
Let me just tell you what a great bike that is...as all cubes seem to be.....welcome to the forum. Hope to see you both soon on the trails.
Yes indeed.
First clapped eyes on th AT the cycle show 2017 and I’ve been hankering after one since. This will be my 3rd Cube and agree they’re a great bike for the spend. Picking it up Saturday, so only 3 sleeps left!? Really can’t wait to get out on it.
Thanks for the welcome, hopefully meet you if I make the Surrey hills ride.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
What part of the world are you from?
Burton on Trent, in the midlands
But my mates got an "action team" as well & we use his van to get the bikes about, so I can't expect him to take me all over the country
I'm sure in the summer he will be a bit more forthcoming about travelling further, we have been to bike park wales, but we took our whytes and used the uplift.
Another mate has just moved to wales, just south east of BPW so will be going down to his house & stopping for weekend ride outs
"ADVENTURE RIDES" as they are called now ?
Just need a spare battery now

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Burton on Trent, in the midlands
But my mates got an "action team" as well & we use his van to get the bikes about, so I can't expect him to take me all over the country
I'm sure in the summer he will be a bit more forthcoming about travelling further, we have been to bike park wales, but we took our whytes and used the uplift.
Another mate has just moved to wales, just south east of BPW so will be going down to his house & stopping for weekend ride outs
"ADVENTURE RIDES" as they are called now ?
Just need a spare battery now
Yeah see what you mean, that’s defo a trek.
I’m liking the sound of adventure the weekend. Me and a few mates did some kayaking last year. This year we’re walking in the Lake District. I’ve fancied doing the Southdown way for a while now, so might make more of an adventure of that in the summer. I’ll find out more, thanks.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Ah ... you sound a lot more familiar with the area than me. Is there much there off the beaten track?
Not super familiar because I didn't ride too much around there to be honest. I enjoy Bramshill a lot more. It's more open but again, there's nothing special there as such in the way of trails but its a lovely place to just get out an ride.

I've always live closed to Swinley so go there most often or I'll ride to Surrey hills which takes considerably longer for me but worth it once you get there :)

Jakejake

Apr 24, 2020
UK
Reviving an old thread... I don't suppose you guys have any Strava routes or similar I can peruse? I'm in Basingstoke and looking for some inspiration...

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Hi Bud

I am just down the road from you in Kingsclere , I have a few couple of nice routes I have recently done around Basingstoke although mainly try to get over to swinley
If you drive / can transport your bike there some nice woods over hermitage way ( 5 miles other Side of Kingsclere ) which have some interesting jumps etc made

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
If you guys are on Facebook there’s a “Basingstoke MTB“ group where routes are discussed and rides organised (Covid permitting).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles