Bash guard prototype for e Sommet

DavidL

Aug 25, 2019
Edinburgh
Thought I would have a go at knocking up a bash-guard on CAD and 3d print it. Prototype 1 looks promising.
bg1.jpg
bg2.jpg

grover

Apr 23, 2019
PT
you should probably extend it to the back mounting bolts for extra protection!
i am planning on doing one with kydex.

DavidL

Aug 25, 2019
Edinburgh
All you need to do is buy the correct one for the E Sommet and take the edge off on this side and it will fit. I used a grinder but a dremel type tool would probably be better.

Vitus E-Sommet Motor Protector 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles

View attachment 17800
I hadn't seen that, but after reading the review I will probably still make my own.

"
The only reason I bought this replacement guard was to protect the steps shimano e800o motor, I had no other option. I smashed the first one on the first rock garden I hit, crap plastic, you'd be better off with cardboard, it cannot sustain any heavy impacts. I have no idea what the design behind this was as it it is total rubbish. What is needed is a heavy duty skid plate, either metal or thick impact resistant plastic which can take abuse.
I am totally disgusted with the quality of this part."

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I hadn't seen that, but after reading the review I will probably still make my own.

My E8000 bike came with a guard pre-installed which looked very similar to that. It was already cracked from delivery. Your prototype looks like it would absorb more energy and possibly crumple if necessary and has handly holes to store small snacks or a very small multi tool :)

cat1

Aug 9, 2019
United Kingdom

"
The only reason I bought this replacement guard was to protect the steps shimano e800o motor, I had no other option. I smashed the first one on the first rock garden I hit, crap plastic, you'd be better off with cardboard, it cannot sustain any heavy impacts. I have no idea what the design behind this was as it it is total rubbish. What is needed is a heavy duty skid plate, either metal or thick impact resistant plastic which can take abuse.
I am totally disgusted with the quality of this part."

If you want something more substantial you would probably better off with the rockguardz one then.

Vitus E-Sommet 2018-19

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
I make heavy duty bash guard/skidplates for the Meridas but one of my mates has a Vitus E Sommet and as it uses the Shimano motor as well and he has fitted one to it. It really needs the position of the bend altering to fit better so if there's enough interest I can sort it. They are so tough I offer a free replacement if it breaks. I've sold over 100 and not had one break or dissatisfied customer. A few photos of the guard on the Vitus.
SOMMET.jpeg
SOMMET.jpeg

SOMMET2.jpeg

SOMMET3.jpeg

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
I make heavy duty bash guard/skidplates for the Meridas but one of my mates has a Vitus E Sommet and as it uses the Shimano motor as well and he has fitted one to it. It really needs the position of the bend altering to fit better so if there's enough interest I can sort it. They are so tough I offer a free replacement if it breaks. I've sold over 100 and not had one break or dissatisfied customer. A few photos of the guard on the Vitus. View attachment 18139 View attachment 18139

View attachment 18141

View attachment 18142
I would have one

DavidL

Aug 25, 2019
Edinburgh
I make heavy duty bash guard/skidplates for the Meridas but one of my mates has a Vitus E Sommet and as it uses the Shimano motor as well and he has fitted one to it. It really needs the position of the bend altering to fit better so if there's enough interest I can sort it. They are so tough I offer a free replacement if it breaks. I've sold over 100 and not had one break or dissatisfied customer. A few photos of the guard on the Vitus. View attachment 18139 View attachment 18139

View attachment 18141

View attachment 18142
That looks nice and beefy!

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK

View attachment 18141

View attachment 18142

Unbreakable, I like that. Am interested in buying one if you make e-sommet specific one.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It is the Thok Mig, comes on the bike but can be bought as a replacment part, dont know if it will stright fit to other brands, and postage is steep from Italy.
thanks.
looks pretty good. Sadly the mounting bolt positions are not the same place as on an E-sommet

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds

View attachment 18141

View attachment 18142
Finally got around to fitting mine, heated it up a bit to get it to fit better then decided I didn't really like the look of it with the cable ties so modified it to use the original mounting holes.
20200130_115906.jpg

peteh80

Jul 11, 2018
Preston

View attachment 18141

View attachment 18142
I'll definitely have one of these if they're still available?

saladdodger2

Apr 6, 2020
Inverness, Highland

View attachment 18141

View attachment 18142
Hi Rallysaloon. Just bought an E-Sommet VRS and I'm looking for a decent bash guard. Yours looks ideal, just wondering if you have produced any more of these as I'd definitely take one?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles