Base Or Comp Levo

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
In the process of deciding between a Levo or Orbea for my next bike.
If i go for the Levo i'm trying to decide whether to get a base one and upgrade parts or a comp, 2020 btw. I ride mainly in the peaks on rocky, technical climbs and descents.
How strong are the stock wheels on the Levo? How are the stock forks and brakes on the base and comp, any more must do upgrades?

Cannikin

Oct 15, 2019
San Marcos, CA
The big difference between the base and Comp is that 700w battery! One of those alone costs $1000+ That was the big decider for me. I plan on upgrading most of the components on the bike as time goes by.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Wheels on my year old Comp have been surprisingly good. I'm an average speed rider downhill and not a big jumper, but at 125kg (275lb) I've broken plenty of spokes and bent some rims on previous bikes. I run CushCore on both wheels, with a Blck Dmnd Eliminator on the rear, only had one flat in 3000km.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
The Comp. Only upgrade I've made is a Knogg Oi bell. Even the dropper remote is nicer than I expected.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
In the process of deciding between a Levo or Orbea for my next bike.
If i go for the Levo i'm trying to decide whether to get a base one and upgrade parts or a comp, 2020 btw. I ride mainly in the peaks on rocky, technical climbs and descents.
How strong are the stock wheels on the Levo? How are the stock forks and brakes on the base and comp, any more must do upgrades?
So many variables that make it hard to answer those questions. For me, I have the 2020 Comp and have upgraded the forks, shock, wheels, cassette, cockpit, brakes and seat. Others are super happy with the standard bike.

IMO Ebike riders have the greatest range of rider weight, talent and ability in the mtb world which makes it even harder to give solid advice about parts unless something is incredibly bad as you could have someone who is using the motor to get up the hill quickly and easily as a way to hone their downhill skills vs someone who has bought the ebike as a new toy to explore and perhaps potter.

The first thing I noticed on the first ride was that the forks had little support from damping and needed to be immediately looked at. Second ride the brakes couldn't cope on a steep descent so they were next on the list. Actually I think the seat was first...that didn't make it out of the shed lol

The base wasn't available when I bought the comp....looking at it now if they both had the same battery I would have bought the base model and upgraded the parts. But they don't, so I would would buy the comp.

Haedesz

Sep 20, 2019
Belgium
I have a 2020 Levo matte blue base model.
It's my first emtb and I love it every second I ride it.
For me 500wh is enough for 3 to 4 hours ride in my local area and personally Im never worried about battery life. 700wh would be way better ofcourse.
Very happy that the base model came with a (tranzX) dropper this year.

What am I changing for sure? The Sram Level T which are 4pot in the front, 2 pot in the back to another brand (shimano or magura). These are def. the weakest component of the bike.

Roval rims are good especially if you run Tannus armour with tubes or Cushcore tubeless. Which would be essential no matter which rims you choose looking at the terrain you mentioned.

Battery anxiety ? Take the comp.
Got the money to spare? Take the comp.

Upgrading a base levo instead of a comp will save you money IF you're not interested in the 700wh.

Chubba

Sep 17, 2019
Cape Town, South Africa
I personally wouldn't go base. The 700wh battery makes a massive difference to your range and seriously reduces you anxiety when riding. Ill give you an example - My mate and i went for a ride yesterday, he is on the 2019 comp with 500wh battery. This was a 55km/1300m ride - he got home with 12% left on his battery and i got home with 43%. He was stressing most of the return route and we cut it short due to his anxiety, which proved sensible in his case :) .
Both riding eco 25/35 with trail on the downhill single track.

54.5 km Mountain Bike Ride on October 20, 2019 by Darren L. on Strava

Comp comes with better parts as well:
GX rear derailleur
X-fusion dropper
Guide RE brakes
Rockshox Lyrik 35mm

Go comp, you wont regret it.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
+1 for the extra battery.

I’m always done before the battery is. The only days I’ve ever worried about I knew I would have been in any case as it was an XC Ride or Bike Park Wales.

It’s the best upgrade bar none and other manufacturers need tech pacs or range extenders.

It’s awesome.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I take it I can still get a 700W battery for the base at a latter date if I want? Money is tight right now, and the 500w is probably more than enough for me. my rides never go over 20 miles in a day

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I take it I can still get a 700W battery for the base at a latter date if I want? Money is tight right now, and the 500w is probably more than enough for me. my rides never go over 20 miles in a day

that on your normal bike?

Because you will defo ride further in less time on your e bike.

but as said, there is still good range on a 500w

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
I have the 2020 Levo base model and I have had problems from the start with the RS 35 fork as have others in the forum. Sent them back for warranty and SRAM replaced the lowers. The SRAM Level T brakes in my opinion are useless. What I have done now is replaced the forks to Lyrik select and SLX brakes 4;pistons. What a difference this has made to the bike performance. For the cost of this bike it should bring better components. If you buy be prepared to upgrade fork and brakes in the very near future.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles