Bafang m510

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Besst pro worked on the M510, changed the 5 support levels to 10/25/50/75 and 100% and am very satisfied. In level 1 max 80 W power, good for saving battery or training your own fitness. In the 2nd level max 240 watts, in level 3 max 450 watts, ideal to annoy the Shimano EP 8 riders in trail mode 😉, and 670 or 840 watts in levels 4 and 5

View attachment 95712

Great news on the BESST Pro working on the M510. Will have another go on mine tomorrow, although last time I tried I couldn't make any changes to the speed / power %, only the wheel diameter and top speed.

I changed out my M600 to the M510 last week as was happy with the power and weight reduction, but really disappointed with the 'on-off' power delivery at low torque / cadence riding (which seems to be a common trait). I had firmware version 3.1 installed from new and then immediately changed it to the 3.2 version (with the usual faf of having to change the BESST version etc. to get it to upload) but got there in the end. The 'on-off' power trait improved slightly with firmware 3.2, but annoyingly is still there. Next step is to re-calibrate the motor but if that doesn't work then......?????

I did notice that on flat smooth surfaces (such as cycle paths or the road) the motor behaved just fine, its when the terrain got rough that the annoying power 'on-off' happens. Makes me think its something to do with the torque sensing; perhaps its a little 'sensitive'?

My setup is M510 with a 52v battery and 160mm crank arms. Speed sensor magnet on the spokes.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Good review of configuration. I was able to use this feature of best pro with my rev1 engine that I bought of @ficorama. I am still trying to figure out which level of acceleration I want on the motor. Currently I have it set to 5/8 but I find the motor is a bit too jerky in the higher(=>3) levels which makes turning in tight corners and technical climbs a bit too tricky. I can see you have it set to 7/8. How do you find it in the situations described above? And which version/fw are you currently using?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Besst pro worked on the M510, changed the 5 support levels to 10/25/50/75 and 100% and am very satisfied. In level 1 max 80 W power, good for saving battery or training your own fitness. In the 2nd level max 240 watts, in level 3 max 450 watts, ideal to annoy the Shimano EP 8 riders in trail mode 😉, and 670 or 840 watts in levels 4 and 5

View attachment 95712
I would be more than happy to have that in M500/M600.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Today I have reprogrammed the motor and set the acceleration parameter to minimum. I tested the bike briefly and tbh the motor still feels jerky, especially at level 4 and 5. Not sure if there is a difference with my previous setting (5/8). Maybe this parameter cannot be overridden on my fw. Any thoughts on this? Also tried the torque sensor calibration function in besst pro, but that doesn't work. Did somebody have any luck with that?

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Interesting for those with the M600, is it worth the change for the small amount of weight saving or just stick with the M600 until it dies and then replace it with the M510 ?

I enjoyed my E10 with the M600, but IMO it is a little too powerful (with the standard firmware) for 'technical' riding. Definitely a quieter motor compared to the M510, but not significantly. I haven't tried a lesser powerful firmware though, which might change my opinion.

Even though I've not ridden the M510 much yet, it does 'feel' (apart from the 'on-off' issue) more like a lighter assisted MTB, rather than an all out electric bike (if that makes sense?).
Weight wise I couldn't really feel any difference TBH when riding, but any help for when lifting the bike over gates etc. is welcome for my old back! My next step is to build a 14S 2P 52V battery (using Samsung 40T cells) for shorter rides and maybe then the overall weight reduction will be felt when riding.

I would say that if you're happy with the M600 (power, range, 'rideability') then stick with it, as any perceived benefits of the M510 will be minimal. Time will tell however on how much 'support' and 'development' Bafang will give to the M600 going forward, where as you would expect the newer M510 to get most of the limelight IMO.

Also I should add that the M510 does feel / run hotter (obviously working a little harder) then the M600 when riding the same hills and hence may require more maintenance if the grease breaks down quicker etc. Thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I enjoyed my E10 with the M600, but IMO it is a little too powerful (with the standard firmware) for 'technical' riding. Definitely a quieter motor compared to the E510, but not significantly. I haven't tried a lesser powerful firmware though, which might change my opinion.
Changing to the 9 levels gives an ever slightly lower No 1 level. To be honest I've given up on the Full Fat Ebikes ever being all round light weights similar to the riding experience of a normal mtb, I've accepted that mechanically its never going to be possible. When riding with other Full Fats I seem to be in level 3 most of the time, if they are derestricted bikes, then sometimes even Level 4, doing usually about 1000m of climb on singletrack in around 2 1/2 hours.

However I've now sold all my analogues and have an EZesty which is just under 20kgs to fill the lightweight / analogue void. Having the two different catagories seems to fit my riding requirements better than an analogue and a Full Fat. Perhaps the M600 reliability and the light weight maybe an option for others.

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Using 9 levels at present. By the seat of my pants I would say level 1 is very slightly a lower power setting but without actual Bafang confirmed settings, it’s just that, seat of my pants.

Do you have the exact details of the power settings of both the 5 & 9 levels as I would be curious to know what some of the mid levels are ?

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Hey guys, let's stick to m510 in this thread so that nobody gets confused.. And in regards to that, did anybody manage to use successfully the individual level adjustment function in the new(1.30) besst pro?

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Hey guys, let's stick to m510 in this thread so that nobody gets confused.. And in regards to that, did anybody manage to use successfully the individual level adjustment function in the new(1.30) besst pro?

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
I was actually referring to this screen IMG_20220831_190208.jpg

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
Hello everyone, nice to read the progress on this thread.

In conclusion,
For M510 there is a Firmware Besst pro version for Rev I
For M510 there is a Firmware Besst pro version for Rev E
For M600 there is no Firmware Besst Pro version
For M500 there is no Firmware Besst Pro version

Please correct me

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Kyokushin
, maybe in a future. It is complicating things as then needed 4 cables and what takes the most during completition is cabling.

But first I need to design and put into production custom PCB. So still lot of work. But proof of concept sucesfull. And Bafang is allowing also to switch during ride. ;)

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Any ideas where to discretely and securely attach the black box?

Into head space and also cabling will be here, so only one cable will go out of the frame, as it was without BB. Dengfu has there plenty of room, and just to glue it on left side of frame (theoretically, other ebike frames, where not possible to get here from battery space, could be inserted over bottom hole after removing fork ). Then you put some small sticker on the frame, where is located magnet sensor (will be in the middle if device).
On order, customer will specify length of cables, plus initial Low/High speed. But anytime you can open it and change speeds with rotary switches.

Last edited:

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
Great job, @Dado!

I am curious, does this reset to 25km/h everytime you switch off the power, if not, could you programm it like that? That would be crucial in certain circumstances...

There still is no "trail" (like Bosch, Shimano, etc.) mode on the newer firmwares, or have there been some changes in regards to this?

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Great job, @Dado!

I am curious, does this reset to 25km/h everytime you switch off the power, if not, could you programm it like that? That would be crucial in certain circumstances...

Technically maybe possible. There is some turn off procedure and need to make it in some small time window.
What is the difference when it reset to 25kmh after turn on? ;)

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
What is the difference when it reset to 25kmh after turn on? ;)
There might be a situation where I can't use the magnet to change modes, before someone takes a closer look at the bike. Turning it off is often possible without raising any suspicion. Also, just as a general safety feature.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
There might be a situation where I can't use the magnet to change modes, before someone takes a closer look at the bike. Turning it off is often possible without raising any suspicion. Also, just as a general safety feature.
You may set a 'timeout' for one or two minutes and bike will shutdown. IF someone will want to 'take a closer look' then will need to turn on the bike, not matter the bike automatically did shutdown or you did it. Bike will be turned on 'again' and speed set to 25.

thats perfect legal/offroad switch with auto-start in legal mode.
I have a hope Dadno will add support for throttle also ;)

There is also one more point - the bike may lost the power in some situation (for example a crash etc) where battery will disconnect, so in that case the change on "shutdown" will not happen, but a change on "turn on" will always happen when someone will put battery on and turn on the bike.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
As Kyokushin writing, device has meaning only when you have timeout turn off set. Otherwise what would be the logic, how should device know when to switch back to low speed?

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
I think there might be a language barrier at place, on my end, @Dado 's end, or both?!

I was proposing to have a feature that always resets the motor to 25km/h when turned off - or being turned on again (the latter should be silent - as in not showing on the display if possible).
The reason for it is obviously to avoid getting in trouble in the unfortunate case that one leaves private property, where it is perfectly legal to ride as fast as one can, and then forgets to turn off the unlocked setting to ride on a public road -without having to use the magnet again.

How that is solved technically, I will leave to the experts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles