Bafang m510

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I've never tried the M600 engine and I'm not aware of its problems.
Had some gear issues early on, moved to a steel gear but now the later versions again have a plastic main gear ( really quiet similar to the Brose ). I haven't had any mechanical issues in the 1500kms I have done.

There are some firmware development needing doing, principally that level one is too powerful. You can around this somewhat by using the 9 levels available on some of the displays. Still too powerful though to ride with analogue friends. The Apps are there, primed ready to go and yet not able to say upload latest firmwares. Bafang really are way behind in this respect.

Riding is more cadence based rather than true torque response, although it is torque sensitive, its just needs dialling in better to suit the riding you are doing. Biggest change I made that seemed to really benefit the engine was to go to 52 volts and short cranks, the engine likes to be up above 45 rpm and best at around 90 rpm where it starts to flatten off not unexpectedly.

Good motor so far.

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
greeting. I use a 14s4p 21700 cells 52v battery. engine m510, I have rev1 and rev2! firmware rev1 48v last shared by @Rob Rides EMTB works fine for me. firmware rev2 "52v" shared by @Rob Rides EMTB doesn't work well for me. @Puschtrale satisfied?
Sorry, still dont get it. To reassume:

My m510 with 48 v battery at delivery had installed this CRX10NC4814i101003 1-28-2230-boot3 0-20220127132519
Then I installed this one CRX10NC4814i101003-1-cs-28-2230-boot3-0-20220517161110-48v-M510 (

Now in my files i do have these firmwares and i just do not understand anymore what the differences are and which one should be the actually best of it 🤷‍♂️ :)
1658842023363.png

BootsDave

Feb 5, 2021
Aveyron, France
As far as I’m aware, the only difference between them is that the version with -cs- in the file name doesn’t start to reduce power until the battery percentage is much lower. This was the one supplied to Thaeber by Chili Shen.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia

My m510 with 48 v battery at delivery had installed this CRX10NC4814i101003 1-28-2230-boot3 0-20220127132519
Then I installed this one CRX10NC4814i101003-1-cs-28-2230-boot3-0-20220517161110-48v-M510 (

Now in my files i do have these firmwares and i just do not understand anymore what the differences are and which one should be the actually best of it 🤷‍♂️ :)
View attachment 93293
see on github there is sorted firmware rev1 and rev2. and for the rest, you'll have to search the forum a bit and evaluate what you need, of course, and try it out. each of us is suited to something different, so I can't say which fw suits you. I ride in pass 1 and 2, pass 3 on a bigger hill, while some guys ride pass 4-5.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany

View attachment 93293
The 48v-M510 is the firmware I‘m running. I followed all the discussions here, and if Your engine is running this firmware it‘s probably the best option currently available. The 43V 18A (1st in Your list) may supply more power and even better battery attenuation, but I didn’t want to give it a try yet because I’m traveling to Finale Ligure tonight 😊

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
The 48v-M510 is the firmware I‘m running. I followed all the discussions here, and if Your engine is running this firmware it‘s probably the best option currently available. The 43V 18A (1st in Your list) may supply more power and even better battery attenuation, but I didn’t want to give it a try yet because I’m traveling to Finale Ligure tonight 😊
Are you going to test the 43V firmware with a 48V battery?
wich you a nice trip!🏖

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
I agree, the GitHub firmware repository is getting messy. Why don't we write a description and our findings for every firmware directly to GitHub description? It is always pain to find any information in the forum.

Btw. Why Bafang does not have it's own category/folder under Motor manufacturer in this forum? I wrote to admin - no response. Bafang deserve it!

Btw2. Is there any upgraded firmware for M510 36V?

Btw3. Do you make any maintenance to motor it selves? Greasing/cleaning bearings etc. Or are these motors maintenance free?

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
I agree, the GitHub firmware repository is getting messy. Why don't we write a description and our findings for every firmware directly to GitHub description? It is always pain to find any information in the forum.

Btw. Why Bafang does not have it's own category/folder under Motor manufacturer in this forum? I wrote to admin - no response. Bafang deserve it!

Btw2. Is there any upgraded firmware for M510 36V?

Btw3. Do you make any maintenance to motor it selves? Greasing/cleaning bearings etc. Or are these motors maintenance free?

Kamo, go ahead and make a description of firmwares on Github. Nothing is stopping you. Then you will understand how time consuming it is to test every firmware properly and of course there will be lot of people who wont agree with your findings and there will be even more mess.

Go ahead set up new category/folder under motor manufacturer. Do u think somebody will be doing it for you?

If you find some new 36V firmware do post here and put a short comments from testing. There is no proper firmware for 48V yet.

Guys, every new firmware was here shortly commented, just read the past posts.

captainhightop

Feb 26, 2021
UK
Kamo, go ahead and make a description of firmwares on Github. Nothing is stopping you. Then you will understand how time consuming it is to test every firmware properly and of course there will be lot of people who wont agree with your findings and there will be even more mess.

Go ahead set up new category/folder under motor manufacturer. Do u think somebody will be doing it for you?

If you find some new 36V firmware do post here and put a short comments from testing. There is no proper firmware for 48V yet.

If you want to add a table, you don't need to be a markdown ninja in GitHub. There are many sites to do it for you:
Obviously you'll have to submit your revisions to be approved, but all you need is an account. If no-one wants to approve it, you've either done a bad job or rubbed someone up the wrong way ;-)

Either way if it's just for your own use or a group want to use it, fork the repo and the strongest/most popular will survive!

I use git everyday, it's not too hard and you can work in many different ways

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B

You probably didn't get my points and thoughts how we could improve...
... You can't create a new category in this forum without admin rights...

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
Had some gear issues early on, moved to a steel gear but now the later versions again have a plastic main gear ( really quiet similar to the Brose ). I haven't had any mechanical issues in the 1500kms I have done.

There are some firmware development needing doing, principally that level one is too powerful. You can around this somewhat by using the 9 levels available on some of the displays. Still too powerful though to ride with analogue friends. The Apps are there, primed ready to go and yet not able to say upload latest firmwares. Bafang really are way behind in this respect.

Riding is more cadence based rather than true torque response, although it is torque sensitive, its just needs dialling in better to suit the riding you are doing. Biggest change I made that seemed to really benefit the engine was to go to 52 volts and short cranks, the engine likes to be up above 45 rpm and best at around 90 rpm where it starts to flatten off not unexpectedly.

Good motor so far.
Thank you for the assesment, to me that still sounds like Bafang hasn't sorted anything out with their firmware(-s). The discussion following your post only proves that to me. If I read, that everyone has his own preferred firmware, there is something fundamentally wrong. I like a DIY approach and the ability to repair the things I own, but to me that reads like beta software at best.
Say what you want about the established motor manufacturers and their closed system approach, but of all the bikes I testrode in my last two jobs in bike sales (hint: many), I have never encountered motors with such "peculiarities" as Bafang's.
The motors may be mechanically sound, and on paper the M510 looks pretty much like what I am looking for, it is comparatively light weight, has enough power and torque, was developed in conjunction with a real EMTB-team, and so on.
But even though I don't mind fiddling around with something in the beginning, I want to ride my bike and not hook it up to my computer twice a week, to check if another firmware resolves issues of the current one, or if it introduces new quirks.
Wasn't there also mentioning of time to boot up the M510?! If yes, that is just a joke for an Ebike motor...

If a one-man-company like Innotrace apparently does a better job, than a large corporation like Bafang, that is just sad IMO.

A bike with each of Bafang's motors will easily cost 4000€ in the end, for that I expect a better motor performance than what I am reading here.

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
If you want to add a table, you don't need to be a markdown ninja in GitHub. There are many sites to do it for you:
Obviously you'll have to submit your revisions to be approved, but all you need is an account. If no-one wants to approve it, you've either done a bad job or rubbed someone up the wrong way ;-)

Either way if it's just for your own use or a group want to use it, fork the repo and the strongest/most popular will survive!

I use git everyday, it's not too hard and you can work in many different ways

Captain, I dont wanna comment on github, that was Krokan request. He can do it if he wants.
I have came here as posts here were reasonable (not like FB groups and recently also endless is full of bullshit) and sharing firmwares and info what I observed. I can mistaken, we are like beta testers for firmwares which show up here. Just I dont like if somebody will come and start to complain it is messy and how it should be organized. Yes, it is mess - Bafang is not maintaining it well. They putting out faulty firmwares and now that 2 versions of firmware for M510 do it even worse.

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
Captain, I dont wanna comment on github, that was Krokan request. He can do it if he wants.
I have came here as posts here were reasonable (not like FB groups and recently also endless is full of bullshit) and sharing firmwares and info what I observed. I can mistaken, we are like beta testers for firmwares which show up here. Just I dont like if somebody will come and start to complain it is messy and how it should be organized. Yes, it is mess - Bafang is not maintaining it well. They putting out faulty firmwares and now that 2 versions of firmware for M510 do it even worse.

Man, I'm not requesting not even complaining about anything, just saying how we could improve and how we could make it more easier to get a basic info about every firmware we have available.

captainhightop

Feb 26, 2021
UK

Yeah the two versions of the controller are a proper pain in the proverbial and now with a focus on 52V batteries it's getting even worse. I can build a 52V battery, but I've got 2x48V ones already and why the hell can't they get it right.

I've had 2 x M510s and they had exactly the same problem with dropouts at lower cadences and assist levels (they are a bit better with waiting to pedal for 60 seconds first, but still not as good as a cadence only system like the BBSHD or the very early Bosch units - I think they were mainly cadence based).

I don't use Facebook as it's toxic so I can't comment on that (but not surprised), but I do find this forum is nice and friendly and a bit more "real" than the subreddits on Bafang and general ebike stuff.

It's a bit like the early days of smartphones where you had to use custom firmware just to get a good experience, but I got fed up with that too. Especially if you end up bricking the device by installing the wrong version! I'd rather be out there riding than messing about on the laptop (I have enough of that at work!).

Even the big names aren't totally on the ball with the firmware stuff although their app experience seems to be streets ahead of Bafang's paltry offering!

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
I took a ride on the M510 and I am very happy, it seemed to me that it is more powerful than my very old M600 (500W, more than 4 years ago). There is no time to deal with the firmware yet, we need to travel more time to feel the difference.

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
i know, i mean the cable between 2 have the same color wires?
Wires of different colors. The electronic tester helped me. It's not difficult. A little later I will take a photo of the color of all the wires. I think you can connect any buttons to the engine. It is necessary that there are only 3 buttons on the remote. I also liked Levo. Someone had a Levo button on the forum.

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
Has there been any in-depth review of the M510? So far I have only found forum entries and the usual press releases.

@Rob Rides EMTB, I am looking forward to your review of this motor, please excuse if you answered this before, but do have an ETA on it?

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Wires of different colors. The electronic tester helped me. It's not difficult. A little later I will take a photo of the color of all the wires. I think you can connect any buttons to the engine. It is necessary that there are only 3 buttons on the remote. I also liked Levo. Someone had a Levo button on the forum.

wait for your photo, i also have c961 button.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Hello everyone. unfortunately I decided to sell Dengfu. if someone is interested, it can be complete or in parts. send a message and let's make an agreement.
list of equipment on the bicycle.
Frame: Dengfu e10 XL
Motor Bafang M510
Battery:21700 Samsucells smart bms I have 2 pcs.
One: 52v 14s4p 20ah
Second: 48v 13s2p 10ah
Charger 48v and 52v depends on the battery
Fork: Rockshox 35 150mm
Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RCT Debon Air 210x55mm
Brakes: Shimano mt420 203 rotor
Tire Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29x2.6
Dropper 170mm
Rear derailleur shimano xt 12 spd
Cassette: shimano deore 12 spd
Shifter: shimano deore 12 spd
Cranks 170mm
Stem and handlebar 31.8 760mm

I have another M510 engine, besst tolls, Miranda cranks 160mm.... ask, everything can be found. I ship within the EU! payment is PayPal with buyer protection.

I have already sold to colleague @thaeber and bought it for me, so he can confirm that I am not a fraud. thank you

Since private purchase no guarantee or returns

Last edited:

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
Yes, everything works and boost works. There are three buttons on the new and old remote control. There are two more wires on the old one, it's probably vibration. I have already made a remote control, I will not be able to say for sure about the wires. Use any remote control where there are 3 or more buttons.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles