Bafang m510

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
Dado
nice statistics.I would love to have an Android app showing these ones.Samsung phones do support ant+ protocol Garmin as well.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
i have done the github revision split on GitHub.
The Rev1 controller have same byte as M600 firmware… i am curious how physically that controller look, and how m510 rev1 firmware may be corresponding to m600 firmware.

KaroKönig

Feb 10, 2021
Germany
Strange. Have tried about 10 times, and using 2 BESST boxes! Every time exactly the same, they fail to write the firmware to motor on the final step, nothing happens.
Hallo Rob, the same for me today, wanted to install the 3.2 firmware and could only load it into the BESST box but not onto the controller. It only worked when I updated the BESST tool from 1.2.18 to 1.2.23 . Hope that helps 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

KaroKönig

Feb 10, 2021
Germany
Short ride with the new Firmware. Very good improvements. The engine finally responds to the pedal pressure. In level 9 you can control the power between 200 watts and 840 watts. You can now drive off without a BAFANG minute of silence and it seems to me that the engine is also quieter. No problem with the voltage display because I use 52 V batteries. There will be a longer exit tomorrow for confirmation.
Thank‘s @Rob Rides EMTB you saved me the weekend 😁👍

Last edited:

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Short ride with the new Firmware. Very good improvements. The engine finally responds to the pedal pressure. In level 9 you can control the power between 200 watts and 840 watts. You can now drive off without a BAFANG minute of silence and it seems to me that the engine is also quieter. There will be a longer exit tomorrow for confirmation.
Thank‘s @Rob Rides EMTB you saved me the weekend 😁👍

No problem with battery indicator in display?

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
When I get mine (finally) installed I’ll take pics and send to Bafang who will hopefully fix it asap.

Yep, nothing to do, just to wait till we get firmware from Bafang, which will be usable.

Just I dont understand how could they start selling motor, with a firmware, which is not behaving good. (this is happening with every new bafang motor for years). Then also big ebike producers can not start to sell it.
I can not tell customer, yes it is not smooth and there are big power kicks, and maybe in the future it will be fixed, but we dont know when bafang will roll out such a firmware.

At least they listening to you Rob. ;) They know your videos have a power and it can help to Bafang reputation and selling.

Anyway with v3.2 I have also feeling it has less noise and also mechanical vibrations are gone. I am comparing to 3.1 which was in my motor.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hallo Rob, the same for me today, wanted to install the 3.2 firmware and could only load it into the BESST box but not onto the controller. It only worked when I updated the BESST tool from 1.2.18 to 1.2.23 . Hope that helps 🤷‍♂️

Hmm, u were able to flash with different version of BESST? Interesting. Then our theories about different microcontroller can be wrong.
Could be like different flashing protocol then.

How old is that M510? Is it from first production batch?

KaroKönig

Feb 10, 2021
Germany
Hmm, u were able to flash with different version of BESST? Interesting. Then our theories about different microcontroller can be wrong.
Could be like different flashing protocol then.

How old is that M510? Is it from first production batch?
The motor arrived in the beginning of april, I think it is one from the first batch
716DBCC9-5309-46D5-BF3D-48A7F6FDA619.jpeg

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
one short review. 😀🍻

with ok firmware, it's a very good driving feeling, in my opinion.

OK firmware
CRX10NC4814i101003-1-cs-28-2230-boot3-0-20220517161110-48v-M510.bin

Bad firmware
CRX10NC4814i101003.0-28-2230-boot3.0-20220218085143----48v.bin - THAT ONE IS FOR DIFFERENT REVISION i suppose

today I was on the second drive with the new m510, it has OK FW. it is much better to drive, has a more linear power delivery and is somewhat stronger, but consumes a little more battery than the previous m510 with bad FW.

with bad firmware, it needs a lot more power for pedalling, but it is excellent in terms of battery consumption, it consumes approx. 10% less battery than OK FW on the new m510.

or maybe it's because of the controller, if the controller is bad or the FW, time will tell.

although the battery consumption is also questionable, it all depends on the driving conditions, the terrain, the wind... as we all already know.

I'll let you know about the engine and controller when I get the information. I filed a warranty complaint with the seller, so I'm waiting for an answer.

@Rob Rides EMTB don't install a bad FW, I don't know if me and @Puschtrale had a problem because of the FW or if the controller is like that.

KaroKönig

Feb 10, 2021
Germany
Made a longer ride with steep climbs today. The engine is definitely quieter and doesn't get as warm under load. The best improvement, however, is the now working torque sensor, which now works like the Bosch E-MTB mode. The speed is also displayed more precisely, with the 3.1 firmware it was always 3-4 km/h too much. The voltage display also seems to work, the only unusual thing is that it shows 100% every time it is switched on and only shows the correct value after a few minutes of driving 🤷‍♂️ The max power is over 800 watts 😁

02096026-14F6-4806-9FA5-FDCFFC6419A0.jpeg

KaroKönig

Feb 10, 2021
Germany
The 3.2 is the best
OK now thouroughly confused! Which firmware is the best / safe one to use?

The 3.2 firmware is currently the best in terms of motor control. Unfortunately only useful for 52V batteries. Depends on the switch-off point whether you can also use them for 48 V batteries

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
OK now thouroughly confused! Which firmware is the best / safe one to use?

Yes 3.2, just with 48V battery you dont have correct % and wont drain battery till the end, due to higher cutt off voltage (controller setup to 52V battery)

@Karo, each firmware has its "default" speed and circumference, so just to update circumference after flashing when you see speed reading off - but I am sure u know about this.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Yes 3.2, just with 48V battery you dont have correct % and wont drain battery till the end, due to higher cutt off voltage (controller setup to 52V battery)

@Karo, each firmware has its "default" speed and circumference, so just to update circumference after flashing when you see speed reading off - but I am sure u know about this.
To sum it up: We would kindly ask You @Rob Rides EMTB to contact Bafang and ask for update of 3.2 firmware to fit to 48V Battery. That would be great! Thanks mate!

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
M510 overheating test. Outside was like 32C, ascent 250m, full throttle, very light pedalling, 113Wh used Firmware 3.2

600W at motor temperature 100C degree is great, just dont put your leg on the motor. ;) Sorry for not steady camera.

Last edited:

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Bratislava, Slovakia. It is our TV tower, hill "Kamzik" aka Chamois. And also Kellys Theos comes from this small country. ;)
Thanks mate! Very nice location! I know Kellys is a slowakian Brand, Theos is a great looking bike - but never saw one on the street until now - only on Robs review!

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Thanks mate! Very nice location! I know Kellys is a slowakian Brand, Theos is a great looking bike - but never saw one on the street until now - only on Robs review!

Thats right, rumors were here - Kellys produced 15 pcs so far due to bike market situation. :(

I would take hard cut off even at 37V ;) Where are the times, when we were able to set everything on HD motor...

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Thats right, rumors were here - Kellys produced 15 pcs so far due to bike market situation. :(

I would take hard cut off even at 37V ;) Where are the times, when we were able to set everything on HD motor...
Does anyone have information, up to which voltage m510 can deliver the "nm" power that is specified?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles