Bafang m510

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
It’s a pity that BAFANG doesn't test its software itself before selling the motors 😉
What do BAFANG think the engines are used for? Go shopping at the weekly market?

They were very good getting the update done in less than a day, and surely it's great they are open to external feedback and testing.

This is far better than before, when there was never even a response to questions.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Think what its like for us in the UK, Oct to April in some years. You get to learn how to ride the mud and slop and in some ways I find dry trails almost boring. :cool:

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Sounds very like the issue I've had, although I can still communicate and flash the controller with the BESST tool. The original HMI won't come on at all, but the 2 others I have will turn on when attached to the BESST tool and the motor, I can even run the motor calibration and it spins. So frustrating that we're having these issues. Both M600 and M510 motor's are not communicating directly with displays at the moment for me.

I've now got the Innomaker CANBUS dongle and also all the components to make the opensource ebike controller on a prototyping board, so maybe I can figure out what's gone wrong once I get time to connect it all up.
So ou think the controller is fried and damaged? Would mean the entire motor will not work anymore? Oh my gosh. That would suck. So all i can do is reinstall the old m500 and see if that one will work right? I thounght it has to do with the MHI DP C241 but i understood that with "controller" you mean some parte of the motor, so the motor controller right? Do you have any other idea how i could check if the m510 will still be working or if he is gone ;-)

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
Think what its like for us in the UK, Oct to April in some years. You get to learn how to ride the mud and slop and in some ways I find dry trails almost boring. :cool:

With the type of soil we have here, riding when the trails are wet causes a lot of damage and erosion to the trails, and is very frowned upon.

We've had constant rain since January, and water is literally coming out of the ground when it stops raining.

We had a few days last week of clear weather, so a few trails were able to open up, but it's come back with a vengeance today.

shikhov

May 11, 2022
Russia
I just tried to update the firmware of my m510 to this one CRX10NC4814i101003.0-28-2230-boot3.0-20220218085143.bin
Unfortunately when uploading it to Besst Tool an error occurred and the error led was blinking and the Besst Tool giving a permanent "Piiep". I resetted Besst Tool and disconnected it from my Controller (DP C241). Unfortunately now my controller is not woeking anymore - it just gets no electricity from my battery. When connecting it to the Besst Tool i cannot read parameters - so no connection is possible 🙈 and i can therefore not check where the problem is and what i can do.
Just flash firmware again and it should work. I had the same issue.

captainhightop

Feb 26, 2021
UK
So ou think the controller is fried and damaged? Would mean the entire motor will not work anymore? Oh my gosh. That would suck. So all i can do is reinstall the old m500 and see if that one will work right? I thounght it has to do with the MHI DP C241 but i understood that with "controller" you mean some parte of the motor, so the motor controller right? Do you have any other idea how i could check if the m510 will still be working or if he is gone ;-)
For me it's the controller (electronics in the motor), it will only communicate with the BESST tool and nothing else, not my CANBUS dongle or the HMI. I can send commands via CANBUS to the HMI and change the voltage display etc. but can't send commands to the controller via the dongle or the HMI. The BESST tool however can send at least the position calibration command to the controller and that moves the motor.

The BESST software also displays all of the info from the controller (voltage, speeds, etc.) and info from the HMI (button state etc.).

I hope for your sake the issue can be fixed by a reflash of the stock firmware, but that does not fix mine (I can reflash though - and to all appearances does actually reflash - although the newer firmware with the altered power attenuation is faulty and will not execute the second step of the flashing for me and a few others).

captainhightop

Feb 26, 2021
UK
Does anyone think an M500 controller could replace the controller in a M510 motor (like some people using the M600 controller in the M500, with a couple of wiring mods?). I can't find M510 controllers anywhere, but M500s are commonplace

captainhightop

Feb 26, 2021
UK
Ok, but @shikhov mentioned he did successfully load it to the controller?
Everyone:
Has anyone actual verified they've flashed that specific firmware?
(screenshot of BESST controller page with actual version of that specific firmware).

I have yet to see it and every attempt to flash the 0.28 version failed on mine whereas even on a partially fragged controller the 1.28 one always flashes.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Does anyone think an M500 controller could replace the controller in a M510 motor (like some people using the M600 controller in the M500, with a couple of wiring mods?). I can't find M510 controllers anywhere, but M500s are commonplace
There is different torque sensor, and M600 controller is not working in M510 enclosure, so M500 will also not.

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Just flash firmware again and it should work. I had the same issue.
But how do you flash it? Do i not have first to connect and read the parameters of the controller? When connecting Besst Tool to the bike and click on "Controller", then "read" i get the error that "main data is empty". S i guess Besst Tool does not recognize the controller anymore, so therefore you can also not update the firmare. Or how did you manage it?

shikhov

May 11, 2022
Russia
But how do you flash it? Do i not have first to connect and read the parameters of the controller? When connecting Besst Tool to the bike and click on "Controller", then "read" i get the error that "main data is empty". S i guess Besst Tool does not recognize the controller anymore, so therefore you can also not update the firmare. Or how did you manage it?
Type "CR" in the SN field and you'll be able to update firmware.

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
I had exactly this issue and was able to fix it by doing what @shikhov states above, though in my case I typed in the full SN as I happened to have a screenshot of it. Nice to know that only "CR" also works! Scared the bejesus out of me when it happened though.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
let's ask one important question. Are you happy with the M510? pluses both positive and negative. and for comments we will ask @VMG Chris to send to Bafang. this way they are just meaningless stories.

KaroKönig

Feb 10, 2021
Germany
Hi All,

To answer your questions regarding power drop out and battery SOC from my experience.

I have noticed power drops and for me there have been 2 reasons.

1. Speed sensor magnet adjustment. The M510 seems to be more sensitive to magnet position, but I'm using the new dropout sensor and brake rotor mounted magnet. Adjusting the position, and using stainless steel screws closest to the magnet resolved this.

2. Under very light crank pressure/torque, it does cut in and out. BUT I'm talking about very light pressure on the pedals. Once riding normally and in the correct gear, there are no issues.

In regard to the battery SOC. Because our trails have been constantly wet since January, and we have the 820Wh battery in the Typhon, I haven't been able to do a proper range test until the weekend just past. I did notice at 40% there was a significant power drop. I have been in contact with Bafang this morning, and they acknowledged this was for power saving and battery protection, however I have asked for less conservative attenuation, and it looks like they will build this for me. I'm not sure of the exact numbers they will do, but I asked for 12A at 30% and 10A at 20%.

If they provide a new version of firmware, I will ask if I can share it with you, but there's no guarantees that I'll be able share it. As mentioned previously I have a business relationship with Bafang, and I cannot jeopardize that.
I have replaced the BAFANG magnet with a weaker Bosch magnet with 2 stainless steel screws and hope this will stop the dropouts. I am satisfied with the battery management as far as I use a 14S battery and at 40% there are still 46 volts. A good value to reduce performance.
3B7EE36D-4351-40D9-AF35-3763C504EFAE.jpeg

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
Finally we had a break in the weather today. A week a go I finished the ride at 38% battery, so I have deliberately not charged it all week

Trails are still really wet, so I did road hill repeats, approximately 2km each climb

The battery had recovered to show 75% after a week.

After 4 x 2km climbs at Power level 5, the power dropped to 30% at which point the current should drop to 12A.

To be honest, I really didn't feel the change in current at 30%, because I think the voltage drop was producing less power already, but about 1/3 of the way up the climb it dropped from 29% straight to 0% and the motor cut.

Perhaps Bafang do know what they're doing in regards to how the battery and motor performs at lower voltage and current levels.

I'll ask for a new firmware where the current drops to 10A at 30%, and then I'll go and test again.

So in total the 820Wh battery delivered 47km and 1700m of climbing all at Level 5.

You'd have to subtract a little of this due to the week that the battery had to recover slightly.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
I was pushing hard and making the motor work today,

Pushing less would draw less current, so I think you'd get more range.
I noticed the power loss below 40% very drastically, as I was climbing a steep and technical trail when suddenly the support dropped. Felt like someone pulled the plug. Display said only 500+ Watts available from that point.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I noticed the power loss below 40% very drastically, as I was climbing a steep and technical trail when suddenly the support dropped. Felt like someone pulled the plug. Display said only 500+ Watts available from that point.
Aren’t you guys expecting just a tad too much from the battery ? It’s not energy infinitum and if you expect your battery to push out 500W’s constantly in the last 1/3 of its capacity then you will have only 10s of minutes not hours left.

Anyway 500W’s is a lot of power on a bike on single track, are you just using the throttle and not peddling 😄

captainhightop

Feb 26, 2021
UK
Aren’t you guys expecting just a tad too much from the battery ? It’s not energy infinitum and if you expect your battery to push out 500W’s constantly in the last 1/3 of its capacity then you will have only 10s of minutes not hours left.

Anyway 500W’s is a lot of power on a bike on single track, are you just using the throttle and not peddling 😄
I tend to agree, 500w is plenty, if the limit is applied sensibly i.e. not jumping in and out of attenuated and non attenuated.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
The battery had recovered to show 75% after a week.
Residual voltage is different to actual charge, that figure would drop back to the original charge level within a few miles.

So in total the 820Wh battery delivered 47km and 1700m of climbing all at Level 5.

That’s extraordinarily good if you indeed were on the top level, I would suspect a lot of the time neither you or the motor were working hard and the motor drawing little Watts to achieve that amount of climb.
Guys be careful in issuing range figures, unless you can use the throttle to fully load the motor all of the time, then just because you are in level 5 doesn’t mean whilst peddling the motor will draw max current.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany

May be You know more about Volts, Watts and Ampere then I do 😊 (because I don’t know much!) and I highly appreciate Your feedback. My understanding is, with a 13S Battery, the pack should have plenty of life left when I measure 46,5 V at 40% SoC? I would expect the Battery BMS cuts off at appr. 42V? Am I wrong?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles