• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

BadassBox 4 for Bosch Gen 4 2020 any expirience?

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
After I updated to firmware 1.1.0.0 (85nM) the badassBox 4 worked fine for 2 weeks until I got the 504 error, I'm not sure if it's because of the dongle or if I only was unlucky, as there has been cases where people get the 504 error without any tuning at all. In any case, you'll have to ride the bike in limp mode for 90 minutes and the error goes away. It was worse in previous firmware, I got the error after 3 days with the badassBox 4 installed.

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
After I updated to firmware 1.1.0.0 (85nM) the badassBox 4 worked fine for 2 weeks until I got the 504 error, I'm not sure if it's because of the dongle or if I only was unlucky, as there has been cases where people get the 504 error without any tuning at all. In any case, you'll have to ride the bike in limp mode for 90 minutes and the error goes away. It was worse in previous firmware, I got the error after 3 days with the badassBox 4 installed.

Best to go for a VOLspeed, the badass is essentially a magnet so has no way of bypassing bosch's anti tuning system

VPK

Aug 22, 2020
Finland
I had Badass4 (set to about 37kmh) on my gen4 firmware 1.0.2.0 for about 250km before error 504 occurred. Riding around 90mins without the box worked. Then I used it untuned for few weeks before updating to 1.1.0.0. Now the box is on again (set to about 31). Not many km with that yet. LBS told me that despite the update 504 errors won't be emptied from the system. After three strikes it won't work and have to take it to LBS and they will work it out with Bosch. Not sure what that actually means. Anyone had three strikes of 504?

Reactions: Ura

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
I had Badass4 (set to about 37kmh) on my gen4 firmware 1.0.2.0 for about 250km before error 504 occurred. Riding around 90mins without the box worked. Then I used it untuned for few weeks before updating to 1.1.0.0. Now the box is on again (set to about 31). Not many km with that yet. LBS told me that despite the update 504 errors won't be emptied from the system. After three strikes it won't work and have to take it to LBS and they will work it out with Bosch. Not sure what that actually means. Anyone had three strikes of 504?
I've had two strikes, will update if I get a third. But how to you set speeds with badassBox 4? For me it deristricted all the way to 50km/h... there was no option to limit that further with the dongle attached.

VPK

Aug 22, 2020
Finland
I've had two strikes, will update if I get a third. But how to you set speeds with badassBox 4? For me it deristricted all the way to 50km/h... there was no option to limit that further with the dongle attached.
Share info what happens after 3rd strike if it happens.
You can set anything between 25 to 50.
1. Display off and battery off the box
2. Spoke magnet directly next to the box and display on
3. Battery in (at least 15s off)
4. Display shows something 25 to 50. You can set it by turning the wheel
5. When ready keep magnet away from box for 30s.
Took me many attempts to get it right.
If I understood right 504 shouldn't occur so easily with lower values. 31 is enough for me as I ride almost only in woods.

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
If I understood right 504 shouldn't occur so easily with lower values. 31 is enough for me as I ride almost only in woods.
I had no idea this was possible. I now use Volspeed v.3 with my speed capped at 35km/h as I find it a good balance between good speeds and decent battery life. I've been riding the bike daily for two weeks now with this setup and no issues, but we shall see. I'll definitely keep ya'll updated if I get any errors.

Last edited:

jabjab

Sep 4, 2020
hungary

Can you elaborate more on this, how to do it precisely? What display do you mean? The bike's display? How would that be connected to the Badassbox? I would try this before I sell the box for good, but can't figure the how.

VPK

Aug 22, 2020
Finland
I mean bikes display. I have Purion but it should work with any display. Spoke magnet has to be exactly by the box when you switch the display on (2) and held steady when you put battery back in (3). It is best to hold brakes trough all this. This took me 3 or 4 times to succeed. If and when you get it right the display shows something between 25-50. Set value by moving magnet across the box about 0,5kph at the time(4).
I had better instructions as pdf about how to do this but can't find it to attach. I'm sure they'll send it to you if you ask [email protected]

jabjab

Sep 4, 2020
hungary
Mine is Intuvia, but couldn't get it work the way you suggested. But I wrote the support, let's see if they help.

jabjab

Sep 4, 2020
hungary
Well, I wrote the compna,y and first they returned with a step-by-step instructions, and when I failed to make it work, we figured that the firware is not suitable for it. So they axchange it FOC, I shipped it back as of today. Great customer service so far.

AF1

Jan 12, 2021
UK
I'd like to elaborate on what JabJab said. You have to have the correct BA Box4 Version for your Gen 4 Drive Unit Firmware.

I have Drive Unit firmware version 1.1.2.0. and have been told I need a post April 2020 manufactured BA Box which apparently has detection evasion. Like JabJab, I too have sent mine back, and agree that BA Customer Service is very good so far.

Probably a good idea not to update the Bosch firmware in future!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles