• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Badass box for 2019 turbo levo

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Hi guys on a previous thread I started I was wondering if anyone had unlocked the speed limit on their levo?? a few good blokes suggested I use the badass box! has anyone ever used one on the 2019 and did it work??
Eagerly awaiting some advice!!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Don't know if it would work due to the sensor/magent being on the disc rotor rather than the chain stay/wheel?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ahh . .didnt realise they had managed a work around - IMO the Badass box is the best device of its type simply because you don't have to interfere with the electronics of the bike. I have used the Shimano version and it works perfectly, but obviously it halves the distance you travel and doubles the speed on the recording/display side

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Trail Watts is soon to release their own derestricted speed sensor cable.
Testing currently, should be out by the end of April. An in-line module within the cable itself.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
So opening your motor case voids warranty?
All you are doing is swapping your speed sensor cable.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
So is about £150 plus postage to the UK plus tax and import duties? :eek:

The mechanical one in here works well too and is allot cheaper. (y)

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I think with the mechanical one you need to be a bit handy on the DIY front.
Very true mate.
On mine I had to modify it a bit but it wasn't too bad. Only time will tell how long is going to last though lol........the badass box might work out cheaper in the end :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Paulpetta

Mar 18, 2019
Palm Cove
So is about £150 plus postage to the UK plus tax and import duties? :eek:

The mechanical one in here works well too and is allot cheaper. (y)
Very true mate.
On mine I had to modify it a bit but it wasn't too bad. Only time will tell how long is going to last though lol........the badass box might work out cheaper in the end :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeap! I know few people who did the mechanical conversion and ended up getting the BAB because of the annoying frequent errors popping up / engine stop working..This may happen because of the incorrect distance between the speed sensor and the magnet..or the replaced magnet has different magnetic properties than the standard one..

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Yeap! I know few people who did the mechanical conversion and ended up getting the BAB because of the annoying frequent errors popping up / engine stop working..This may happen because of the incorrect distance between the speed sensor and the magnet..or the replaced magnet has different magnetic properties than the standard one..

Yea? How many people do you know?

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
That can't happen. I've no axe to grind for or against, but there''s no 'incorrect distance between the speed sensor and the magnet' - that demonstrates a desperately poor notion of how it all works - and as for different magnetic properties - all the magnet needs to do is produce an induced current.

Justify alternative approaches however you like, but please don't make things up, or believe others who make them up either.....

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
That can't happen. I've no axe to grind for or against, but there''s no 'incorrect distance between the speed sensor and the magnet' - that demonstrates a desperately poor notion of how it all works - and as for different magnetic properties - all the magnet needs to do is produce an induced current.

Justify alternative approaches however you like, but please don't make things up, or believe others who make them up either.....

Perhaps the relevant point is that whilst the mechanical solution is a very cool and neat pice of home engineering, its requires some mechanical understanding, familiarity and confidence to understand how to install it due to the need to take into account hub type, disc type, and model, whereas my grandma could install the BAB.

Both work well if installed correctly, but one option is considerably easier to do, and as such may be a better option for many people.

Paulpetta

Mar 18, 2019
Palm Cove

Pardon me mister Xcentric...but if the magnet and the speed sensor are not aligned correctly then there will no be communication between the two and your e-bike will get into limp mode.. simple as that!!
On the other hand, the intensity of the 'induced current' as you said, also plays a key role but this may not apply to the badassBox installed on the Specialized..as the BROSE system works fine with the standard magnet..If you would be familiar with the badassBox you will know that in order for the BAB to work the magnet should by aligned (with the black logo) towards the hub...
hope this explain

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Pardon me mister Xcentric...but if the magnet and the speed sensor are not aligned correctly then there will no be communication between the two and your e-bike will get into limp mode.. simple as that!!
On the other hand, the intensity of the 'induced current' as you said, also plays a key role but this may not apply to the badassBox installed on the Specialized..as the BROSE system works fine with the standard magnet..If you would be familiar with the badassBox you will know that in order for the BAB to work the magnet should by aligned (with the black logo) towards the hub...
hope this explain
But if the magnet is not aligned it shouldn't work at all, not some times work and some doesn't?
I can tell you though that the magnet is 100% aligned to where the original magnet was.

Now I'm not telling you that what you say about people having problems with it is not true. I think the bigger issue with the mechanical unit is to make sure the sun gear is tight in the shaft and is not binding. If that happens, the planetary gear obviously stops spinning and then there is no readings as the magnet is stuck in one place.
Like R120 said already, the mechanical unit is for folks that like to tinker with stuff and have some mechanical knowledge as is not a 100% finished and polished unit. But is allot damn cheaper than the ass box .

:)

Paulpetta

Mar 18, 2019
Palm Cove
But if the magnet is not aligned it shouldn't work at all, not some times work and some doesn't?
I can tell you though that the magnet is 100% aligned to where the original magnet was.

Now I'm not telling you that what you say about people having problems with it is not true. I think the bigger issue with the mechanical unit is to make sure the sun gear is tight in the shaft and is not binding. If that happens, the sun planetary gear obviously stops spinning and then there is no readings as the magnet is stuck in one place.
Like R120 said already, the mechanical unit is for folks that like to tinker with stuff and have some mechanical knowledge as is not a 100% finished and polished unit. But is allot damn cheaper than the ass box .

:)
Well! I may got the wrong information here but please let me know if I am correct on this:
Are you guys glueing the magnet on the inside of the crank-pedal and relocating the speed sensor on the swing arm facing the pedal?
If this is the case then here is my answer to you:

Not really. Surprisingly, it will still work but then you will have the engine cutting off issues (this happen only if the magnet and speed sensor ARE NOT too far from each other..(this is way you get an error # code for this particular issue)..Obviously, this is more common on e-bikes that have the magnet on the wheel spoke (and the speed sensor on the swing arm) as the magnet have the tendency to rotate and/or move overtime due to vibrations and etc...
No kidding here but the funny thing is that many rider don't know how to fix it and they still ride around with the engine cutting off:geek::geek:..and I have meet a guy with the Specialized with the same problem..:oops::oops:

Agree with you! if you are mechanically minded then definitively you can do a nice job and save some money..

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles