• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Badass bikes 4 speed limit derestrictor box.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have one, fits in under a minute, would definitely zip tie it on using the slot provided even thought the fit is secure. Does what it says on the tin with no fuss. I haven't put many miles on it, but have taken it on some pretty rough trails though mud etc no problems, and the box itself is discreet when fitted. I went for it because of simplicity of installation and that you don't need to open up the motor covers - also very easy to take off.

Only thing i would say is visually i don't like the spoke magnet tool free screw, but it does the job

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Got my badass box for my Merida R160 900E Shimano Motor with Di2, and am really pleased with it. Managed 46 Km/hr on the flat with the stock gearing, which is plenty. Best thing is how it has smoothed out the ride by not coming up against the awful braking feeling when the limiter comes in.

D

Deleted member 1275

@Rockyw I couldn't agree more. I have just tried a friend's Badass v3.4 box, coincidentally on exactly the same bike and size as mine. This is the best upgrade my friend has done to his eMTB for sure. So much so that he thinks his analogue bike may get very little use now.

Coincidentally again, on a flat off-road (private land) straight in favourable weather conditions - I also managed ~46kph - but for me it wasn't about hitting a higher speed than usual but simply loosing that awful braking feeling (on the Bosch system) that nearly always happens at the worse possible time. At least for me.

German instructions came with the device but very simple to fit (and importantly to remove) but I did recommend he add a zip tie as @R120 suggested here. The cover did seem a little loose and I didn't think my friend would want any mud etc getting in or risk it bouncing off.

What did make me laugh was the very un PC image on the packaging - not complaining you understand but not sure how they get away with that, particularly as he got it through Amazon. ;)

D

Deleted member 1275

No worries. I agree with your first assessment of it. A good bit of kit to be fair. I was really sceptical about them but it does look like it works without any ‘hard’ installation. Thanks.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
And i agree with the you on the packaging! I like the fact you can just pop it off, and you don't have to open the engine cover or muck about with any wiring/software - i don't use it all the time, but do when i think i am going to be riding trails where the cut out will be annoying.

D

Deleted member 1478

Can it be detected at service? My dealer was telling me that any motor warranty issues on the E8000 get interrogated remotely by Shimano ex Japan online through a hook up to the bike via the dealer's diagnostics.

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
When you take it off, does the bike work fine with the badassbox magnet exactly where it was or do you need to readjust it each time you take/put the box on/off?

D

Deleted member 1275

When you take it off, does the bike work fine with the badassbox magnet exactly where it was or do you need to readjust it each time you take/put the box on/off?

I think it my situation the magnet needed to be readjusted to ensure correct alignment with the factory sensor when the box was removed.

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
Can it be detected at service? My dealer was telling me that any motor warranty issues on the E8000 get interrogated remotely by Shimano ex Japan online through a hook up to the bike via the dealer's diagnostics.
I don’t really see how they could. There might be ‘evidence’ but I don’t think they could PROVE anything.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Anyone have issues with their motor cutting out for a second or so intermittently? Only happened since I fitted the bad ass box. Most likely magnet placement?

For reference, 2019 Merida e160 900e with Shimano steps e8000

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Just by chance I visited a webpage which listed all the available ways devices to derestrict a bike and the badass system seems like the easiest to install. My question is therefore why would anyone use any other system with all those fiddly wires and taking covers off etc?

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Well my box is faulty now. 3 new batteries, recalibrated numerous times. Doesn’t “freeze” at 23kph anymore.

Back to the reseller I bought it from for a replacement. I had nothing but issues with mine. Wouldn’t buy again.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Well my box is faulty now. 3 new batteries, recalibrated numerous times. Doesn’t “freeze” at 23kph anymore.

Back to the reseller I bought it from for a replacement. I had nothing but issues with mine. Wouldn’t buy again.

Yep, mine too. Worked great for 2 months then just out of the blue got the W013 (wheel speed not detected) error constantly, seller sent me instructions to "reset" it but didn't work. I should sent it back for repair or replacement but can't be arsed. I just use steps unlocker now.

Bit of a shame as it cost nearly $300 AUD.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Yep, mine too. Worked great for 2 months then just out of the blue got the W013 (wheel speed not detected) error constantly, seller sent me instructions to "reset" it but didn't work. I should sent it back for repair or replacement but can't be arsed. I just use steps unlocker now.

Bit of a shame as it cost nearly $300 AUD.

So I got a replacement today and same issue. I thought the odds of the same issue are slim to none. So started from scratch. Recalibrated to 23kph, same issue. Then tightened and aligned the speed sensor... same shit, finally I took the magnet off, gave it a hit with contact cleaner and remounted. Bloody thing now freezes at 23kph as designed!

The thing is I did that with my original one (refitted magnet) and no difference. So I think I’ll be in for more pain but seems the box is SUPER sensitive to magnet placement.

AndreaFx

Aug 1, 2019
Milano (Italy)
Sorry for the intrusion ...... I state that I don't have the badass 4 but this box doesn't work with firmware 4.7.0 (like more other speedbox)
What firmware do you have?
Another thing.....W011 is "speed not detected".
W013 is torque sensor error (normally appear if the pedal is blocked by a foot or by the sidewalk when turn on the bike)

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
So I got a replacement today and same issue. I thought the odds of the same issue are slim to none. So started from scratch. Recalibrated to 23kph, same issue. Then tightened and aligned the speed sensor... same shit, finally I took the magnet off, gave it a hit with contact cleaner and remounted. Bloody thing now freezes at 23kph as designed!

The thing is I did that with my original one (refitted magnet) and no difference. So I think I’ll be in for more pain but seems the box is SUPER sensitive to magnet placement.

Shit, who would’ve thought.

Johnvin

Sep 16, 2019
Edmonton
Got the badass box 4 and am glad that I don't hit that brick wall when the limiter kicks in.i'm riding a cube reaction race 500 the fastest I got it up to is 28.5 miles an hour but I had to pedal pretty hard to get there,I find 24-25 mph alot easier to maintain comfortably.

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
Got the badass box 4 and am glad that I don't hit that brick wall when the limiter kicks in.i'm riding a cube reaction race 500 the fastest I got it up to is 28.5 miles an hour but I had to pedal pretty hard to get there,I find 24-25 mph alot easier to maintain comfortably.
I'd be content with that speed increase. Is the device big and does it become an eye sore?

Johnvin

Sep 16, 2019
Edmonton
Sorry for the long wait but I was up north at work for the last month.anyway no it's not an eyesore at all and it's really easy to put on and take off.

DonkeyKong

Nov 10, 2019
Sweden
Can I ask what motor and firmware you have Johnvin?
I have Cube Eagle - 19 with Bosch cx.
Im thinking of buying..

Johnvin

Sep 16, 2019
Edmonton
Can I ask what motor and firmware you have Johnvin?
I have Cube Eagle - 19 with Bosch cx.
Im thinking of buying..
Sorry my friend,I haven't checked this account in awhile but the motor is a bosh performance CX and it's a 2018 model I'm not sure of the firmware but I can tell you that I'm not going to let the lbs update my ride.i hope this helps you out.

DonkeyKong

Nov 10, 2019
Sweden
Sorry my friend,I haven't checked this account in awhile but the motor is a bosh performance CX and it's a 2018 model I'm not sure of the firmware but I can tell you that I'm not going to let the lbs update my ride.i hope this helps you out.
Thanks mate!
I got myself Volspeed 3 instead and so far it works great, I have the new firmware and it doesn't work with Badass 4, but any day the new badass is coming ?

Johnvin

Sep 16, 2019
Edmonton
Be careful with the new firmware check this thread for the firmware that works I believe that it's anything below 4.7 I think don't quote me though go on this forum and just also what fimware will work with your bike.hope you figure it out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles