Assist level, technical question...

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Mate and I cycled 43 miles today, both on Levo hardtails, we're similar in terms of fitness.

When we got back I had used 480Wh and he had used 445Wh but his average assist was 338% and mine was 237%, this doesn't make sense to me, unless I'm missing something... :unsure:

Any idea why using more assist used less battery? My peak power in eco and trail was less than what he had on his, assist level similar, if that makes any difference.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire

That did cross my mind, I'm still confused by the app assist levels, I'm wondering if the app assist percentage is very basic as in the mode you are in rather than how much it's actually assisting you... :unsure:

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I would suspect cadence. I ride weekly with other eMTB'ers and battery consumption can be very different. I like to spin, and my riding friend likes a very slow cadence. I use more battery....

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
According to EMBN a higher cadence uses less power, I think...

If it is cadence then why did my mate have a higher assist percentage but use less battery?

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
@stiv674 have spent half my afternoon looking into emts motor power and efficiency (yeah, I know.....) and I'm as unsure as you are about the numbers. However, if were to be scientific about it, we need to run more trials, so maybe if you keep an eye on it over the next few joint rides, a more sensible picture may appear.

Only other things I can think of:
  1. Were both of you starting out with fully charged batteries?
  2. Are you running very different tyres? They may have very different rolling resistances?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
@stiv674 have spent half my afternoon looking into emts motor power and efficiency (yeah, I know.....) and I'm as unsure as you are about the numbers. However, if were to be scientific about it, we need to run more trials, so maybe if you keep an eye on it over the next few joint rides, a more sensible picture may appear.

Only other things I can think of:
  1. Were both of you starting out with fully charged batteries?
  2. Are you running very different tyres? They may have very different rolling resistances?

Haha, well what else is there to do... ;)

Both left with 99% showing, same tyres and similar pressures, the only difference was his peak power in each mode was higher than mine.

Maybe there is just an issue with either of our apps.

Next time we go out on them I'm going to set all modes the same and see if there's any difference. I'm not bothered that I used more battery just confused by the numbers :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles