Asphalt commuting tyres - recommendations

Chaindog

Nov 20, 2018
Germany
Yes, tan is quite flashy, but I love the Look. And the speed is just wow.
20200321_131720.jpg

tnull5

Sep 2, 2020
Valencia, California
Any recommendations for 29er for commuting also. Super moto-x looked promising but it's only for 27.5''
Specialized Pathfinder Pro. I am running the 42. I ride a lot on pavement. In fact, I am installing gravel bars and GRX shifter/levers. I have a second set of wheels that will have MTB tires. But I have ridden fire roads and some trails with these Pathfinders and have had pretty good traction. So much faster on the road though.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Out of interest, how do your bikes ride once you hit 15 mph / 25kmh? Does the power wall feel less significant? I would imagine that if I installed commuting tyres on mine, I'd spend the vast majority of the time over the support speed limit.

tnull5

Sep 2, 2020
Valencia, California
Out of interest, how do your bikes ride once you hit 15 mph / 25kmh? Does the power wall feel less significant? I would imagine that if I installed commuting tyres on mine, I'd spend the vast majority of the time over the support speed limit.
Mine goes up to 20mph. At that point it cuts out. But at that speed, I don't feel a huge amount of resistance. With MTB tires, I felt the rolling resistance right away. With these, I don't. So for pavement and light dirt, these are the way to go.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
With high pressure slicks on smooth flat or downhill tarmac crossing the assistance limit becomes way less significant.
Mtb tyres (especially the tough casing soft compound aggressive DH treads so many Emtb riders use) can be robbing you of 50w+ per tyre more than a decent low rolling resistance slick.
Uphill you'll still be on a tank of a bike so just stay within your motor's assistance limit.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't actually use slicks at all anymore. Just harder compound faster rolling single ply mtb tyres at 50-55psi.
2.5 Maxxis DHF EXO dual compound up front and Maxxis 2.3 Minion SS EXO dual compound rear.
Slicks are not advisable at Ebike commuting speeds on ice/snow.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Nice, I fitted some Mezcals the other day too :)
I was tempted by the tan ones, but went with the 2.6 wide instead

View attachment 27604

How wide do these tyres come up when fitted to your rim? Also how wide is your rim? I have 2.6" (65mm) Conti's on a 40mm internal rim which come out at just over 2.6" at 72mm. I have some nice full fenders and plan to use these on some newer 30mm internal rims.

Cheers
Jake

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
How wide do these tyres come up when fitted to your rim? Also how wide is your rim? I have 2.6" (65mm) Conti's on a 40mm internal rim which come out at just over 2.6" at 72mm. I have some nice full fenders and plan to use these on some newer 30mm internal rims.

Cheers
Jake
Hi Jake,
2.578" or 65.50mm according to a cheap digital caliper
My rims are 30mm inner width

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Hi Jake,
2.578" or 65.50mm according to a cheap digital caliper
My rims are 30mm inner width
Thanks for the fast reply! Okay so that puts them at spot on 2.6" so I think I'll grab a set of these! Out of interest - I'm the puncture king (even when using tubeless!) but how have you found these in terms of how often you get punctures or any issues with them sealing punctures? I ride about 10k miles a year so opted for heavy tyres but they're a bit of a slog...

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Thanks for the fast reply! Okay so that puts them at spot on 2.6" so I think I'll grab a set of these! Out of interest - I'm the puncture king (even when using tubeless!) but how have you found these in terms of how often you get punctures or any issues with them sealing punctures? I ride about 10k miles a year so opted for heavy tyres but they're a bit of a slog...
I don't do tubeless.
I have some tannus armour in the rear and haven't had a puncture yet, but I also haven't been riding off road at all for a while now, only commuting to work and back.
I've unwittingly ridden over broken glass a couple of times though with no issues.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I don't do tubeless.
I have some tannus armour in the rear and haven't had a puncture yet, but I also haven't been riding off road at all for a while now, only commuting to work and back.
I've unwittingly ridden over broken glass a couple of times though with no issues.
Thanks. I won't be using the tyres on an ebike - just my commuter too (Bombtrack ADV+). Thanks for getting back to me. Now to order some!

laissez

Jan 31, 2021
Finland
I don't actually use slicks at all anymore. Just harder compound faster rolling single ply mtb tyres at 50-55psi.
2.5 Maxxis DHF EXO dual compound up front and Maxxis 2.3 Minion SS EXO dual compound rear.
Slicks are not advisable at Ebike commuting speeds on ice/snow.
I use these Suomi tyres wxc 300 tyres for winter commuting in Finland
1613677046704.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. Our winters don't compare to yours. those tyres wouldn't work too well riding into the city over here.

AlwynM

Jun 5, 2020
Liverpool, UK
Thanks for the inspiration guys, I went ahead and ordered a pair of tan Mezcals and a spare set of wheels. I wasn't' happy with the cornering of the stock tyres, the back end was 'lively'' when accelerating out of a corner. Now, it's nice to be able to have tarmac wheels to swap over to.

Pextouras

Mar 5, 2021
Sweden
Thanks for the inspiration guys, I went ahead and ordered a pair of tan Mezcals and a spare set of wheels. I wasn't' happy with the cornering of the stock tyres, the back end was 'lively'' when accelerating out of a corner. Now, it's nice to be able to have tarmac wheels to swap over to.

Have you tested them out yet?

I´m looking for a set of new tires aswell. Been riding the Schwable Smart Sam 29x 2.6 DD.
But want something more focused for hardpack, commuter style, fast and can take high speeds 40kph.

AlwynM

Jun 5, 2020
Liverpool, UK
Have you tested them out yet?

I´m looking for a set of new tires aswell. Been riding the Schwable Smart Sam 29x 2.6 DD.
But want something more focused for hardpack, commuter style, fast and can take high speeds 40kph.

Yes. I've just got back from a 2 hour blast around the city on road / tarmac. Far better and the difference in rolling resistance is really noticeable and they're very quiet.

I couldn't locate the 2.6" version so went for the 2.25".
I
mezcals.JPG

Last edited:

laissez

Jan 31, 2021
Finland
Are the Mezcal's puncture resistant? I was going to get super moto-x but they are only 27,5 and I have 29er bike. Looking for durable commuting tires for my emtb.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Schwalbe Super MotoX, Big Ben and Big Apple are pretty much the same tyres but produced in different sizes. the latter are available in 29x2 & 29x2.3 which is a good size for commuting.
They're plenty durable

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Didn't know that.
"Ordnung muss sein!!" is a very well know expression here. "There must be order" ...or something like that. Works REALLY well in this case!

Long Way Home

Jun 9, 2022
Cornwall
I know that this is an old thread, but it's still relevant, perhaps more so today, anyway I swapped out the Bontrager XR3s after day one, to fit WTB "ThickSlicks".
They're a fairly narrow 2.1", offer little rolling resistance and have to be more efficient than the original fit.
My bike is a 2022 Trek Powerfly HT and my commute, over 30 miles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles