Asphalt commuting tyres - recommendations

Adam Fox

Oct 17, 2019
Cambridge
Turbo levo 2019 HT
I use it more as a commuter bike, riding roads rather than trails.
Was thinking about changing to slick tyres when winter is over. Anyone had experience? Will there be a marked improvement in speed over the current “stock” tyres?
Do you have recommendations, or advice on tyre sizes to be looking at?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I have Serfas Drifters on my spare wheelset. No difference in speed as with either knobbies or slicks I always sit on the 32kph limit but certainly a lot cheaper than the knobbies I use and besides giving much better grip on ashphalt they also last way longer than knobbies on the hard stuff.
Was going to try Schwalbe Big Apples but could not find any in 29er size here in NZ.

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
Maxxis hookworm looks good in 29. what about the minion SS? Sort of foot in both camps. Options and all that.

Hookworms in 26" were absolutely stupid heavy..

I run Specialized Compound Controls on my slick wheelset on my Levo.

20191226_153910.jpg

Deadeye

Oct 6, 2019
Florida
Thanks for making this thread. I am looking for better rolling tires as well. Even if speed isn't affected, I would think it could give more miles per charge because of low rolling resistance on the road. I know with acoustic mountain bikes its a night and day difference on the road between aggressive knobbies and smooth tires.

The Schwalbe MTB tire looks good but looks like its only 2.1.

The Mezcal comes in 29 x 2.6 and this is the top of my list right now. MEZCAL

Last edited:

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
I’ve just put Schwalbe smart sams on my 2020 Ht, they are listed as 29 x 2.25, but are considerably narrower than the 2.30’s supplied as original, they still give the knobbly look but roll a lot quicker without the noise. I have only done 15 miles on the road with them so far and they should be ok on the local rough cycleways as well. They do a plus version which is more puncture resistant and suited to emtb.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've got a good few thousand commuting miles on 27.5 Schwalbe Big Ben and Moto-X tyres. (they're available in 29 too)
Have used them in widths of 2.0, 2.4s and a 2.8 (only upfront) and would probably recommend the 2.4s to most.
I run them between 50-60psi and at that pressure they're very fast rolling but also quite robust, this also means they're fairly heavy (for a road tyre) at 800-1100g
Other than the slight lack of handling response over a lightweight (3-400g) road tyre the weight only really effects acceleration which TBH is a bit of a non issue unless the bike is switched off. The bike freewheels massively faster than with any mtb tyres and actually feels alright when ridden with the motor switched off.
The larger in width you go the lower the pressures you'll be able to run without sacrificing too much rolling resistance, the main advantage here is comfort rather than grip as with an mtb tyre. IMO the 2.4 just handles better upfront than the 2.8.
I'd never run a 2.8 rear. On any bike. Ever!

Smart Sam's aren't a fast rolling tyre on the road at all.

Schwalbe BIG ONEs are easily the fastest rolling high(er) volume tyres (27.5 or 29x 2.35) you'll find. But at only 400g and depending on your weight, riding style and commuting terrain you may find them less than durable/puncture resistant.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Ran Icons on my 29er XC race bike after importer stopped bringing in what I was previously using. Real fast rolling on gravel roads and hard pack.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Forgot to add a pic. For 2.0 they are generous in their sizing and i notice very little max speed difference - and damn do the roll well.
Serfas.jpg

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
I’ve just put Schwalbe smart sams on my 2020 Ht, they are listed as 29 x 2.25, but are considerably narrower than the 2.30’s supplied as original, they still give the knobbly look but roll a lot quicker without the noise. I have only done 15 miles on the road with them so far and they should be ok on the local rough cycleways as well. They do a plus version which is more puncture resistant and suited to emtb.

Quick quiet cheap hard wearing tyres,I used them for commuting on a trek powerful, easy to ride at 18 -20 mph even with the motor drag.

Good resistance to thorns too.

Right that's my sales pitch done for the day.

Adam Fox

Oct 17, 2019
Cambridge
Ok, so after some deliberation, I decided on Wiggle | Schwalbe Energizer Plus Tyre - GreenGuard | Tyres
I’ll update when I get them in the bike.
Scwalbe seemed to be the go to for most the replies, but I thought I would try a slightly different option. Should be interesting. A 9.8 mile commute, an average of 30 mins. Strava will give me an idea of speed difference. I’ll check battery as well, to see if it’s more economical on performance.
I’ll let you know, and post a pic.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
19.6mph average?

You naughty boy :sneaky:

The difference between the MoxoX/Big Ben slicks and Minions/Mary off road tyres (at 50+ psi) for my commute is only a small difference in speed (couple of minutes over 10 miles) but the effort required to hold that speed drastically drops with the faster rolling tyres.
If only there were also a type of clothing we could wear that reduces wind drag aswell, eh? :unsure:

Adam Fox

Oct 17, 2019
Cambridge
Oh shoot! I’ve been called out. BLEvo has a part to play!!! Commuting, I wanna be at work and home as fast as possible, sweating as least as possible, I’m not ashamed to admit! Cambridge is a long straight road, without hills.

Deadeye

Oct 6, 2019
Florida
Just switched from stock tractor tires to Mezcals a few days ago and it has unlocked the ability to....coast without pedaling for more than a few yards lol. Also, cornering on asphalt/concrete no longer sketchy. Seems like a good mix of on/offroad capability.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Another vote for Schwalbe Moto X.

I've done ~2000 km (2.4", 27.5) without any flats, super hard wearing, I reckon they will last me easy another 2000 km. I don't think they are tubeless ready, but Schwalbe makes some light 27.5 tubes I'm running them with. Very happy with these, will buy again.

They will handle a bit of gravel, but one needs to be careful in turns.
_1270009.JPG

Deadeye

Oct 6, 2019
Florida
Just switched from stock tractor tires to Mezcals a few days ago and it has unlocked the ability to....coast without pedaling for more than a few yards lol. Also, cornering on asphalt/concrete no longer sketchy. Seems like a good mix of on/offroad capability.

Quick power consumption comparison from stats in my mission control app. Identical rides taken on the same 9.8 mile flat loop of mostly asphalt, concrete, and raised decking. All in eco mode. 2.6 stock butcher tires vs. 2.6 Mezcals - both sets w/ 30psi.

Butcher/Eliminator Stock tires
Time: 41 min
Average Speed: 14mph
Average Support: 152%
Total Consumption: 114 wh

Mezcal Front/Rear
Time: 38 min
Average Speed: 15mph
Average Support: 142%
Total Consumption: 104 wh

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've done ~2000 km (2.4", 27.5) without any flats, super hard wearing, I reckon they will last me easy another 2000 km. I don't think they are tubeless ready, but Schwalbe makes some light 27.5 tubes I'm running them with. Very happy with these, will buy again.
I'm around 3000 miles (4800km) on my MotoX 2.8 front and 2.4 rear and neither are showing very much sign of wear.
run tubeless the entire time.
a few punctures in that time and only one has needed to be patched from the inside. - sealant will fix punctures but as I run 55-60psi in the rear sealant simply cant plug slightly larger holes.

They will handle a bit of gravel, but one needs to be careful in turns.
They're pretty shady on damp/frosty roads too. when leant over they have way less grip than my roadbike's 700x25mm tyres @110-125 psi
They're easily tough enough for off road use though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles