Review Asgard Access Plus 29er Bike Shed

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Bit of info for y'all.

I've got the 3 bike Sold Secure storage version of this and it's a little snug.
My Merida 2019 E-OneSixty (medium) will only fit diagonally across the shed and even then it's a squeeze.

The E-OneSixty has a pretty average wheelbase Vs modern bikes and is 650b (albeit with 2.8 tyres). As wheelbases are getting longer then I'd recommend going for one of the larger Sold Secure units or the special 29er one.

I'm not seeing a huge difference between the sold secure and standard units. An integrated lock/handle and the roof doesn't lift but that's about it I think (happy to be informed otherwise). So I'm not sure it adds a whole lot more security in the long run.

I'd recommend one as they're properly robust and a very good extra layer of defence which will slow potential thieves down quite a bit. Just make sure you measure you're bike from the furthest points tyre to tyre so you know what size to get.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I think you're right, I dont believe there is a great deal in it between the standard and 'sold secure'. Maybe a certification which would add to the cost of the unit. I doubt in the real world whether one is substantially more secure than the others.

The insurance companies certainly don't seem to think so as the two didn't make any difference in premium to me - all the insurers kept asking was "Is it ground anchored?". (Whether this is meaningful or a symptom of outdated behemoth insurer processes who knows).

On a side note, I wish they'd provide door catches for when the doors are open. The wind catches them and they swing around all over the place when open, smashing into bikes/me/anything else in their way. A right pain in the a***. I'm having to fashion a bracket myself to hold the doors open for when loading/unloading the bikes. Not something I'd expect from a near £600 unit ☹️

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Yeah, right about something to stop the doors crashing about, a right pain and very loud, I'm sure the neighbour thought I was burying the missus under the patio while I was building it ?

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Mine is inside the garage but even so the doors can be a pain.
I wonder if we need to do a group submission back to Asgard and offer to test a few prototypes out ?.

I do wonder how it would stack up against an angle grinder? I can't find any real tests of them.

The insurance companies are clueless. So long as it says sold secure gold on the lock and "is it secured to an immovable object" then they don't care. I have a frequent rant about magazines giving shite information on how to make a bike secure and having done everything they suggested and more I still got broken into three times. <Insert Sean Bean gif saying "Bastards">

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Thats not a bad idea - all it needs to be is some metal hinge thing that folds over the top when open and all sorted. If only I had a 3d printer...

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Personally, I don't have space to latch up the doors due to how wide I can open them. Nor would I bother if i could: Just wedge my foot on one, arse on the other, as I drag my bike out.

Maybe apply some foam pads so it doesn't bang if the door does slam?

"I do wonder how it would stack up against an angle grinder? I can't find any real tests of them." - Hopefully long enough and loud enough to alert you to their presence.

I think the knack to securing the Asgard is that even if a crim' does manage to cut or jemmy open a door or the lid, they can't just drag a bike out the gap. Always lock the bikes on the *inside* of the locked shed. Use a ground anchor, use chains, make it so they have to get right in to the back of the shed, cut stuff at awkward angles, before they can move the bike...

Also, connected security cameras and door alarms are cheap now. Use 'em.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Careful using those disc padlocks as in the OP's pictures, they're easily bypassed. I won't say how, but it's extremely quiet.

I am no expert but I've always assumed the locks are the weakest point.

They certainly are not my last ( or first) line of defence...

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
What locks would you recommend?
I noticed some spots of rust on one lock already and I don't want them to be knackered.
After Monkey Dogs post, I just checked LPL's old video on disc locks. It showed an Abus 'plus' disc detainer lock which I didn't know existed. Has a Kryptonite style key. I would have bought that if I knew about it...

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
After Monkey Dogs post, I just checked LPL's old video on disc locks. It showed an Abus 'plus' disc detainer lock which I didn't know existed. Has a Kryptonite style key. I would have bought that if I knew about it...

Nice one I'll check them out.
The locks supplied do seem a bit naff, specially given the price of the box and how secure they are rated.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Nice one I'll check them out.
The locks supplied do seem a bit naff, specially given the price of the box and how secure they are rated.

I can see why they chose to use disc locks: The Asgard shed can shield the lock while still making them easy to use. I like that design, very hard to attack the lock with brute force.

However, there are very few premium disc locks, probably due to how thin they have to be. So 90% of the disc locks you can buy, including the ones Asgard supply, are just 'okay' - strong but moderate/easy to pick (if the crims are capable of doing so).

I would also guess that the placement of the shield around the lock makes them harder to pick. Holding them steady, applying force in the right places, from the right angles, all gets hard when the locks are in place (compared to some guy on a YouTube video who can comfortably grasp the whole lock and hold a tension bar in one hand, while picking with the other).

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

Hi SquireRides - are these the locks in the video? - Keen to replace the stock locks

Cheers

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Hi SquireRides - are these the locks in the video? - Keen to replace the stock locks

Cheers

No, not those. Confusing terms here. Disc padlocks are disc shaped padlocks, *not* disc rotor lock (locks that secure the rotor). Oh, and then there's 'disc detainer' which refers to the internals of the lock. Lots. of. discs.

These are the Abus disc padlocks that have the more secure disc detainer internals: ABUS Padlock 20/70 (08854)

But having looked for them, I know why I didn't buy them: I can't see any keyed alike packs so you'll end up using two keys to get in to the Asgard...

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
No, not those. Confusing terms here. Disc padlocks are disc shaped padlocks, *not* disc rotor lock (locks that secure the rotor). Oh, and then there's 'disc detainer' which refers to the internals of the lock. Lots. of. discs.

These are the Abus disc padlocks that have the more secure disc detainer internals: ABUS Padlock 20/70 (08854)

But having looked for them, I know why I didn't buy them: I can't see any keyed alike packs so you'll end up using two keys to get in to the Asgard...

Cheers mate - they look good, big step up from the OEMs ?

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
What locks would you recommend?
I noticed some spots of rust on one lock already and I don't want them to be knackered.

If they'll fit in the lock housing. Abloy 340. If you want near impossible to pick.... Protec 2 core. IIRC The original Protec core key can be 3D printed.
I use three Abloy 362's on my garage. I'd be f##ked if I lose all the keys :ROFLMAO:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Definitely swap the crap original locks out!

2DE2E967-4046-45C5-AAD5-776AADDCD156.jpeg

8C8CF990-4138-4221-A6B0-9DD5FC1010CC.jpeg

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Ouch, which locks did you buy to replace them?

Abus Diskus 20/70's plus two Abloy 340's to secure the inside of the main doors.

Have gone the whole hog and am building up reinforcement panels to mitigate the Asgards weak spots! Plus shed is wired into the house alarm now and 4K CCTV fitted! I may have also accidentally wired the shed to an electricity supply so if the inside surfaces are accidentally touched without disarming, the culprit gets a nasty shock.

Only thing is I only store the kids cheap bikes in there as I've got myself a lock up now away from the house, so its all a bit pointless and over the top.

I've been very bored during lockdown.

Tomunleashed

Dec 29, 2020
Bristol/ North Devon
I just got the larger version of this, found it very easy to assemble as it all screws from the inside. Thinking of getting one of these little gadgets to put on the inside which sends you alerts if the door is opened...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Rob, are you still heating your shed with this method ? Just got an Asgard and don’t want to remove my battery everyday. Wondering how much running costs are also
@Rob Rides EMTB

As an FYI I have used those dimplex heaters a fair bit at work for drying cupboards - they where originally designed to mitigate condensation under windows, and give off a low radiant heat.

We would usually install them via a timer switch, then you can programme them to come on and off at certain times.

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
@Rob Rides EMTB

As an FYI I have used those dimplex heaters a fair bit at work for drying cupboards - they where originally designed to mitigate condensation under windows, and give off a low radiant heat.

We would usually install them via a timer switch, then you can programme them to come on and off at certain times.
Cheers man

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
A little even-longer-term update on my long term review: I kind of wish i had bought he optional wooden base now. Two years in and the metal base is chipped through to the steel in several places. I will have to get that sealed to avoid rust. Was inevitable as I have a gravel path and the sharp stones get dragged in on my chunky tire tread. So... Consider the wooden base to make maintenance of the shed less of an issue long term!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Update from me as a few people have asked about insulation -

I've just insulated the shed with this stuff: Double Foil Bubble Insulation, floor wall caravan shed loft roof Free UK Postage | eBay (Double bubble foil insulation), have also added a 40w tubular heater from Screwfix (Dimplex ECOT1FT Wall-Mounted Tubular Heater 40W 408 x 81mm). Have got it set to kick in around 4 degrees c.

I'm also going to follow @SquireRides 's advice. The floor is chipped and wrecked. Am picking up a sheet of ply to rectify that!

Looks ok, we'll see how it goes!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles