As Strava hates e-bikes....

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Is it not about time that Strava gave the same support to e-bikers, including KOM, challenges and Segment Searches and such like? So e-mtb riders can enjoy a community seeing other riders segments etc if they so wish. It seems so old fashioned and shortsighted just to give e-mtbs effectively no fun and sideline them?

Last edited:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Perhaps it's because we are all cheating! Strava can become highly addictive. Smashing out K, or QOM's and segments, can spoil, many a persons view of a ride for sure. There's no discrimination between a gravel bike and an mtb, so why is an Ebike, mostly excluded? Only Strava have those answers.

To say, vote with your feet, and decline the use of Strava, given the amount of FPKW on their premium accounts, won't make much of a dent, given that revenue stream. Ebikes are mostly frowned upon, however by the uneducated. We all have ailments, whether it be through mental health, illness or post surgery. The important thing is, being out on a bike, surely?. I know a few, who still haven't amended their bike profile, so there are still flaws within. Some, that I've asked, say it's in 'protest' to Strava not recognising their efforts, regardless of what is being pedalled.

Strava, could, amend all of their leaderboards. Afterall, there are categories for age and weight, so a specific ebike channel, isn't beyond them. Again, I guess it all boils down, to how ebikes are perceived. Change isn't necessarily bad. Simply look at how this market alone has grown recently. However, we are the converted. Perhaps we should concentrate on the benefits our bikes allow us, rather than a stopwatch app, telling you how good, or poor, you are in comparison to others. Only you can decide which is best, for your personal wellbeing..

I still ride anologue. I feel the addition, of an E, has improved my levels of fitness, despite being a new convert. Perhaps that's simply just, a placebo. My two 'main peds' now are vastly different and I ride them accordingly. I could be 'lazy' and only ride the E. However, I don't lose sight of the fact that I'm very fortunate, and have the luxury, of a choice.

Last edited:

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Perhaps it's because we are all cheating! Strava can become highly addictive. Smashing out K, or QOM's and segments, can spoil, many a persons view of a ride for sure. There's no discrimination between a gravel bike and an mtb, so why is an Ebike, mostly excluded? Only Strava have those answers.

To say, vote with your feet, and decline the use of Strava, given the amount of FPKW on their premium accounts, won't make much of a dent, given that revenue stream. Ebikes are mostly frowned upon, however by the uneducated. We all have ailments, whether it be through mental health, illness or post surgery. The important thing is, being out on a bike, surely?. I know a few, who still haven't amended their bike profile, so there are still flaws within. Some, that I've asked, say it's in 'protest' to Strava not recognising their efforts, regardless of what is being pedalled.

Strava, could, amend all of their leaderboards. Afterall, there are categories for age and weight, so a specific ebike channel, isn't beyond them. Again, I guess it all boils down, to how ebikes are perceived. Change isn't necessarily bad. Simply look at how this market alone has grown recently. However, we are the converted. Perhaps we should concentrate on the benefits our bikes allow us, rather than a stopwatch app, telling you how good, or poor, you are in comparison to others. Only you can decide which is best, for your personal wellbeing..

I still ride anologue. I feel the addition, of an E, has improved my levels of fitness, despite being a new convert. Perhaps that's simply just, a placebo. My two 'main peds' now are vastly different and have to be ridden accordingly. I could be 'lazy' and only ride the E. However, I don't lose sight of the fact that I'm very fortunate, and have the luxury, of a choice.

Yes you make some really good points.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
I am personally happy for ebikes to remain separate, but a few features would make me VERY happy.......

1) The ability to easily copy an existing bike segment to an ebike segment
2) The same functionality whereby if a new ebike segment were created then it does as the bike segments do and goes back to previous rides and shows it.

3) If none of the above were done then it would be nice to show normal bike segments on your rides, but have a separate leaderboard for ebikes.

For segments that have been created for e-bikes Strava works very well (pretty much the same as for normal bikes), but there are very few segments created.

Another issue though is that any leaderboards obviously don't take into account the assistance levels of the bike and therefore people would just set their bike to 100% and blast one or two hills just to get KOMs. Personally though I'm more interested in seeing my own improvements over particular segments over time, Its always good to get a rough comparison of how I compare to other riders, but the useful information is how I compare to myself 3/6/9 months ago.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Is it not about time that Strava gave the same support to e-bikers, including KOM, challenges and Segment Searches and such like? So e-mtb riders can enjoy a community seeing other riders segments etc if they so wish. It seems so old fashioned and shortsighted just to give e-mtbs effectively no fun and sideline them?

No.

Strava segments are USER implemented. So get off your high horse and create your own segments.
Once there are loads of E bike segments I'm sure Strava will begin to implement some of the features they gradually added (over years) for regular bikes.
Emtb is small. very small.

Emtb is also a completely UNlevel playing field. - Ie. pointless

If you aren't having fun without STRAVA sell your Emtb and buy a regular bike.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Strava works exactly the same way as everything else for ebikes.
I just use it in private mode as if you use ebike and create your own segments you can mainly be competing against yourself.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
No.

Strava segments are USER implemented. So get off your high horse and create your own segments.

I partially agree here, however I created a number of bike segments and I'd love to be able to just go to those and copy them to e-bike rather than creating them from scratch again.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Yes you make some really good points.

In essence, why support a product (financially) that doesn't recognise all of your 'efforts' ? Strava, like any data acquisition, can easily be manipulated. Strava isn't the only ride app available to the masses, however it may well be the most popular. Again, it all boils down to, what you wish to achieve from it, and how all of your data is implemented. Whether you chose to go private or public with your results, is entirely your choice again.

Are you for real?

Yes.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Used to use MapMyRide - had maybe 100 courses and segments I used to basically see if I was riding lazy or something like that. Not really interested in KOM crap but love seeing that I finally beat a time I put down on my analogue bike 10-12 years ago. As of last month they no longer do segments. Fortunately you can download your history as a CSV so I can at least follow the naming and add all my courses and segments to Ride with GPS or whatever I end up going with.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
No.

Once there are loads of E bike segments I'm sure Strava will begin to implement some of the features they gradually added (over years) for regular bikes.

wow! a lot of venom there !!! If you aren't having fun without STRAVA sell your Emtb and buy a regular bike ...really !!!!

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp

No.

The only question id ask on your post is, why do you feel its unlevel?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
There has long been an ebike section to Strava????
It is a pain you cannot copy segments over from the regular bike section, it is also a pain you cannot enter short segments which are more applicable to mtb’s In general.
There didn’t use to be many ebike segments, it is starting to fill up now though. Like Gary said, if the ones you want are not available, take a bit of time out to enter them. It doesn’t take long although you cannot do it via the app.
I don’t see the point of ebike climbs, maybe for some of the technical ‘uphill flow’ trails. As pointed out, the variance between motor brands makes comparison daft and it will get blown away when the Flyon’s eventually start to hit the trails.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I wonder just how many emtb riders.....or mtb riders in general, are interested in ride stats? I recognize the priorities of roadies are time distance (and pain!) but for me at least with mtb whether on analogue or ebike it is all about the fun factor and man/machine versus the terrain.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I wonder just how many emtb riders.....or mtb riders in general, are interested in ride stats? I recognize the priorities of roadies are time distance (and pain!) but for me at least with mtb whether on analogue or ebike it is all about the fun factor and man/machine versus the terrain.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
We are only a few eMTB bikers i Denmark. So nothing to compare with.
I just upload data to Strava. Change type of work-out to bike.
Then I can compare times - I'm only interested in timing of down-hill.
When finish comparing I just revert the workout to eBike :cool:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Used to use MapMyRide - had maybe 100 courses and segments I used to basically see if I was riding lazy or something like that. Not really interested in KOM crap but love seeing that I finally beat a time I put down on my analogue bike 10-12 years ago. As of last month they no longer do segments. Fortunately you can download your history as a CSV so I can at least follow the naming and add all my courses and segments to Ride with GPS or whatever I end up going with.

Years back (about 12..), when I first moved to my, then new, location, I used Ride with GPS, along with track navigator, I think it was called. This for me was an ideal tool. I could import someone else's gpx, to then get turn by turn navigation on routes I clearly had no idea of what direction to take, being on unmarked trials. This was way before those options were available on strava/garmin and such like, and without the need of any form of subscription. New routes learned, trial knowledge gained. Over time, the need from these apps, for me, decreased. However it's good to know that other riders still find these 'alternative' apps useful, and that there is other recognised ride platforms, rather than the aforementioned, mainstream, linked apps.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ditto...I use Komoot for navigation and to record new rides. But I also use a gopro because video of a new ride is more important to me than time distance or heart rate.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Like myself - there are many that are only interested in using an app to log rides. I do know a couple that compete with KOM crap but most are using whatever app to monitor distance or hours as well as elevation climbed and compare with last month or last year.
Me, when I go up a kilo I look to see how much riding I have done. Also log my dog walks for the same reason.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I partially agree here, however I created a number of bike segments and I'd love to be able to just go to those and copy them to e-bike rather than creating them from scratch again.

There is a thread somewhere on here where someone wrote some nice code to copy the "bike" segments you ride into e-bike segments - automatically after you've ridden them.

The other thing to do is find the segment you're talking about - to find the original ride you did when you made the segments. Edit the ride to "E-bike" and "private" - create the segments the same as you did for "bike", then change it back to how it was and viola , your segments are there and ready to be E-biked.

I think much of the support is already there. OK, you can't segment search, but you can find people who've ridden in areas and find the segments they've ridden and so on. But you still get KOM's and they changed it a few week back so the KOM's now show in your "KOM" stats. or QOM's if you're a lady or one of those nasty people who set yourself as a lady so you can collect lots of QOM's .. :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

You think it's unfair a gravel bike can be used because why?
You deem it to be an unfair advantage?
That's pretty funny when plenty mountainbike's can be built lighter with lower rolling resistance tyres than a gravel bike

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
You think it's unfair a gravel bike can be used because why?
You deem it to be an unfair advantage?
That's pretty funny when plenty mountainbike's can be built lighter with lower rolling resistance tyres than a gravel bike

Nope. I said that Strava doesn't discriminate between the two.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They should always be created from scratch anyway IMO. That way you can ensure the segments don't have stupid/shit/dangerous start or finish points and you can check GPS data is actually accurate and follows the actual trail you want to make a segment from. (regular) Strava is full of awful segments that make no sense or deviate from the actual trail badly due to poor GPS tracking (recorded by phone in pocket etc.).
I don't know how long you've been using strava but when it first became popular it was fairly barron (segment wise) and has grown and grown with use and user input.
you want segments?
simple. go create 'em!

I personally don't have any interest in Ebike segments. They're utterly pointless because of the different assistance levels/torque outputs and motor controllers in all the various class 1 emtb motors. Nevermind tuning/derestriction/blevo etc.

The only question id ask on your post is, why do you feel its unlevel?
see avove ^^

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Strava is for homos with huge egos and something to prove.
And running around calling people "homos" and worrying about others who want to challenge or improve themselves shows a pretty high level of insecurety on your part. ;)

sort of agree that if you REALLY want to prove your worth on a bike. enter a race. a proper race though. not an emtb one. ;)

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
And why should it?

(same point)

Ok. I create a profile on Strava. I add a new bike. I'll call it.. 'specialized'. I go out and ride a local trail then upload my activity. I find that I've smashed every previous KOM, and the majority of all the segments, except for a couple where I've been beaten by someone, riding, a 'CRF'. Damn them!.

Do I gloat that I've smashed it? Do I smile smugly that I've 'conned' Strava? In fact, have I 'conned' everyone, including myself? Who is the real winner in this scenario?
Strava (KOM's) for me hold no interest, due to the egotistical nature of 'competition', over a tiny strip of land, and an imaginary trophy. I am competitive and have held international race licences, in various disciplines for a little over 35 years now. However, I digress. All cycling should be fun, regardless of what you are sitting on.

I think the OP was asking, when all the required data is inputted correctly, why then doesn't Strava recognise those efforts, on previously ridden/recorded segments, irrespective of whether they ride a mtb, gravel or ebike? Friends I know, that ride an E, have said similar too. Others have previously stated that they've already created said segments, however upon changing their bike profile, those segments don't automatically transfer, it seems.

If you have no interest in Strava eBike timings, I don't understand, why you feel the need to comment? Perhaps that was your personal challenge. Whilst, I can appreciate that this is an open forum, maybe your 'sarcasm' has been misconstrued as, aggressive. Attack is the biggest form of defence, for some. Whilst I'll openly discuss any valid debate, you can't argue with an idiot. Nobody is right, or wrong, just a difference in opinion, and I'll welcome any form of, factual education.

Would it be sarcastic of me to point out that you've spelt insecurity wrong? Or would that portray me, as being obtuse? I'm sure though, that, you'll deal with it, princess..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles