• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Armour for trail riding?

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Having fallen off at low speed and smacked my hip, I wondered if it was worth getting any armoured shorts and top for trail riding?
Whats your thoughts?
A - Man up a bit! or B - Yea get some! If it's B feel free to recommend some stuff suitable for trail riding?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have them, I had a nasty off earlier in the year where I landed on my hip, and was lucky not to break something, but ended up not being able to ride for 6 weeks and with my hip/top of leg swollen up and looking like it had been 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. Invested in some straight after.

I have some 661 shorts which have the pads and a chamois built in.

SmackIt

Jul 21, 2019
Reno
I just went through this. Placed a huge order on Amazon for everything the industry has to offer. For shorts... Alpinestars Men's Bionic Pro Shorts as a base layer with the Alpinestars Drop Pro Shorts on top. Yes, they're very expensive, but it was the only combination that felt just about as comfortable as wearing regular riding shorts. I've worn them on a couple rides now and was impressed enough to order another set. That's $450.00 for 2 sets of shorts, but at least I'll never shred my hip again and miss valuable riding time. I'm still evaluating knee and elbow pads.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I spent my first several months being abnormally attracted to the ground and most immobile physical objects.

Broke a rib on one of my first downhill attempts when I lost a right of way argument with a fallen tree. Didn't learn as I thought body armour was OTT and somewhere in my head.... uncool .... (like that would matter looking at everything else I was wearing).

A few months later and a fractured pelvis and I learnt my lesson.. So unless it's really hot and I just go for a "potter about", I now always armour up. Upper body. Armoured under shorts. (both the cheapo fox copy ones until I find something else I like) knee pads. shin guards (added after slashing shin open to the bone and having to stitch myself up).

So yes .. wear armour. With my track record, it's saved me from numerous hideous fractures, injuries and PAIN ! Once you've had it on 5 minutes, you forget it's there. If you've got it on and you don't need it. fine. If you've not got it and you needed it, you've probably damaged yourself.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
I've only just started using full armour for my chest and back after breaking a rib in May when my Vitus E-Sommet landed on me.
I've always wore elbow & knee pads, decent gloves and helmet but the Alpine Stars armour gives the back and chest protection I didn't have before.

I first wore it on a trip to Morzine in July and I was a bit paranoid about looking like a storm trooper out on the trails so didn't wear it the first day. But whilst queuing to get on the Ski lift to the top, most people were wearing similar gear, so wore it the rest of the trip.

I wasn't too hot either considering it was 36 degree at 4pm! I wore the armour with no shirt and it was easy to get on & off even though I was sweating heavily. I wasn't on an emtb but a rented Nukeproof Mega and I wasn't just riding downhills the whole trip.

Trail riding on a normal mtb was OK with the elbow/knee pads as it wasn't that much extra weight but having full armour adds a bit more and isn't as comfortable when climbing. But on an emtb you won't notice it. Plus it will keep you warmer when the weather gets colder :love:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
At first I would not wear any sort of protection other than gloves and a helmet. When a newbie, I used to be irrationally concerned about looking like "all the gear and no idea". Yeah, I know immature, or a severe case of "are you looking at me?!. But pain is a very good teacher! So gradually I armoured up.

The first item was proper protective glasses after receiving one too may prods around the bony orbit which may have equally gouged out an eye. Now it's usually brambles or the low branch hiding behind the first low branch that swipes me across the face.

Following a rather nasty ground strike when cornering hard on a downhill bend and my front wheel washed out. I cracked my knee cap and I still can't sit on that heel to this day! So I started wearing knee guards. I later upgraded to combined knee & shin guards when I switched to flat pedals (pedal strikes) and started to ride amongst brambles and nettles! (shins).

Elbow guards came soon afterwards. It seemed that every time I fell off I landed on an elbow and damaged my shoulder ligaments, as well as severe gravel rash to the forearm.

Then a proper trail helmet instead of the XC helmet that I had been wearing. I have broken every single helmet I have ever owned except the two I have now. I don't want to be even a tiny bit brain damaged! :eek:

My backpack protects my back of course and my gloves & boots my hands & feet and my Sealskinz mid length socks protect my lower legs not covered by my knee & shin guards. :)

When descending Jacob's Ladder in the Peak District, I did a full superman over the bars. My bike went on without me cartwheeling and bouncing from side to side for about 60 yards or so. I did a full 360 degree roll on the rocky ground and much to my astonishment, landed on my feet! I stood there waiting for the pain and there was none! Result!

Along the way I have bought 661 vest and shorts that protect the shoulders, chest, hips, and base of spine. And a full face helmet. I no longer use the 661 body armour (it is just too hot), but I wear the FF whenever I go anywhere outside my comfort zone. I no longer care about "all the gear and no idea"! :) As anyone can tell by looking at the rest of my clothing, the style of which I would say was called "grunge". :LOL:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The use of the word "armour" can be misleading. There are degrees of protection ranging from motorcycle/MX kit down to stuff that can be worn beneath mtb shorts and jersey that no one except yourself knows you are wearing. I use Leatt DBX shorts and short sleeved vest. Neither is obtrusive or creates any unwanted body heat and together with some knee pads and gloves provide all the protection you need for trail riding and even some more adventurous Enduro use. I recommend you look for kit with D30 padding. There is a lot of cheaper kit that may look similar to the leading brands but the padding is invariable just a cheap foam which will provide little if any impact resistance.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I thought body armour was OTT and somewhere in my head.... uncool .... (like that would matter looking at everything else I was wearing).

I was a bit paranoid about looking like a storm trooper out on the trails so didn't wear it the first day.

At first I would not wear any sort of protection other than gloves and a helmet. When a newbie, I used to be irrationally concerned about looking like "all the gear and no idea".

How old are you guys??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
@R120 i will take a look at them. I ended up in hospital thought I had broken my pelvis but just bruised it. Wasn’t steaming along either just a heavy fall on a very hard rock.
Exactly my situation, except I cased a jump that I overshot and landed on a root, and then into A & E

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
C wear what you want when you want to.
I recommend you try any prospective protection on before you buy.
pay particular attention to comfort as you move and whether or not it stays in place.
Armour that's too uncomfortable to wear is pointless as is armour that doesn't stay in place.

I have well fitting comfortable DH, enduro and trail armour/protection to cover/protect pretty much every body area. I pretty much never wear any protective clothing anymore (did when racing/riding DH), never wear gloves and rarely ever wear a helmet. (I just don't like them)
Choice is good.

Get well soon boys

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
"ALWAYS" wear POC shorts hip and very lower back, POC hard shell shin up over knee no longer for sale, Fox sells similar hard shell shin/knee and Full face helmet. This morning rode technical rock wore forcefield upper hard shell motorcycle road racing armor. I'm 65 and ride nothing but EMTB not a very good rider crash several times a week ride almost daily. Until you crash hard on hard shell armor you'll never believe how well armor works, most times no injury but oddly NO PAIN. I have crashed hard enough on my knees to tear the skin under the armor imagine the same impact without the armor. I look ridiculous but I've never been sidelined once since I started riding at 59 and crashed hundreds of times. I'd rather be cool (after a hard hit) than look cool as I hit the ground.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I've had a few crashes, one in a bikepark, with only the typical kneeguards, and let me tell you, I won't be doing that again.

So now I rather look uncool but stay injury / Pain free. I don't heal up like I did 20 years ago unfortunately.

Have a Leatt hardshell upper body and back armor that works very well for me in the more rowdy situations. Also the IXS softer "shirt protectors" have got very good reviews, so god that I have ordered one recently. Not ridden it yet though but wanted something lighter for trail use that was a bit less restrictive and breathing rather than the bikepark stuff. Also ordered O'neal padded shorts that I have also yet to try.

Plenty of options out there that are great it seems... IXS, Fox, O'neal, POC, Leatt, Dainese. Alpinestars... And the list goes on and most of them are good but can depend a bit on body shape and such I hear..

If possible try on before you buy as Gary said.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
[QUOTE="

When descending Jacob's Ladder in the Peak District, I did a full superman over the bars. My bike went on without me cartwheeling and bouncing from side to side for about 60 yards or so. I did a full 360 degree roll on the rocky ground and much to my astonishment, landed on my feet! I stood there waiting for the pain and there was none! Result!

. :LOL:[/QUOTE]

Nothing worse than an OTB on Jacobs, last time I rode it both me and my mate did it on the same ride, I avoid it now.......

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
At 79 I dont heal as fast as you whippersnappers (Not you Steve) so need all the protection I can get .have TLD elbow sleeves and Fuse shin guards,and Mechaniks padded knuckle gloves.still deciding which Knee/shin pads and working on padded hip shorts........interesting that in Scandinavia the VOAPs wear padded hip shorts to guard against pelvic damage in falls in care homes so I will be ready when the time comes.
Just been riding with 12 year old grandson .....wow he is fearless ...deffo going to need full body armour if I am to keep up with him....:p

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have been laid up for over 2 weeks now with a borked ankle. Managed to slam it between the motor and the ground causing all sorts of trauma. Probably another couple weeks before I can shred again but have no interest in armor.
Back 30 years ago, down here they brought in a rule that you had to wear shoulder pads for MX/SX. I freaking hated them with a passion and found they caused crashes by snagging things. That and they just made me over-heat (due to an industrial accident that halted my promising MX career).
Have put on shim pads and my old MX shoulder pads as well as my MX helmet when running the National DH track in Rotovegas but just stick to helmet & gloves normally - plus glasses on a new track that I don't know and might be overgrown, as well as in the winter for mud protection.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Have been laid up for over 2 weeks now with a borked ankle. Managed to slam it between the motor and the ground causing all sorts of trauma. Probably another couple weeks before I can shred again but have no interest in armor.
Back 30 years ago, down here they brought in a rule that you had to wear shoulder pads for MX/SX. I freaking hated them with a passion and found they caused crashes by snagging things. That and they just made me over-heat (due to an industrial accident that halted my promising MX career).
Have put on shim pads and my old MX shoulder pads as well as my MX helmet when running the National DH track in Rotovegas but just stick to helmet & gloves normally - plus glasses on a new track that I don't know and might be overgrown, as well as in the winter for mud protection.

Likewise. Whenever I crashed wearing body armour, whether it be mx, or in a set of leathers, it was the armour, that did the 'damage', rather than solely protect me. I've seen guys break their neck/vertebrae, wearing a neck brace, and given my experiences, have always rejected body armour use. If you ride tense, you'll suffer muscle fatigue and break bones, should you crash.
Today, i wear gloves, to help with heat retention, as many a busted finger have left me with poor circulation and permanent nerve damage. I will always wear a helmet and depending on what I'm riding, goggles or glasses, as i now wear contact lenses.

That said, I'm toying with the idea of knee pads. A previously broken patella, aches when riding in shorts, through winter, and i really don't suit tights..:D

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
At 79 I dont heal as fast as you whippersnappers (Not you Steve) so need all the protection I can get .have TLD elbow sleeves and Fuse shin guards,and Mechaniks padded knuckle gloves.still deciding which Knee/shin pads and working on padded hip shorts........interesting that in Scandinavia the VOAPs wear padded hip shorts to guard against pelvic damage in falls in care homes so I will be ready when the time comes.
Just been riding with 12 year old grandson .....wow he is fearless ...deffo going to need full body armour if I am to keep up with him....:p

79...shit, well done, most people are pushing up daisies by then!
keep up the good work, at least I know I’ve got a few good years left in me ?

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I came off two days ago (back flipped) landed on my elbow and the force shattered the top of my Humorous and broke the socket in my Scapula, surgery next Tuesday. Thing is no armour would have changed this outcome. Bugger not a fast healer at 58. worst part: my bike is one year old next week and ive done 3863 kms on it. was hoping to crack 4000kms in the year!!!

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Having fallen off at low speed and smacked my hip, I wondered if it was worth getting any armoured shorts and top for trail riding?
Whats your thoughts?
A - Man up a bit! or B - Yea get some! If it's B feel free to recommend some stuff suitable for trail riding?
High Rock Ruti

I'm about to buy my third pair of POC hip and coccyx shorts with impact reactive VPD (soft until it hardens on impact) wear them all the time. I have only fallen directly on my hips a hand full of times, but no injury greater than bruising. The POC shorts are not hot, but they do rip easily, last about two years. Perhaps it just personal experience, but armor disappears as soon as the terrane is under wheel. I rode yesterday in full upper and lower armor, slow speed "fall-over" crashed three times, not a scratch, once sideways off a 4 footer, I'm a 65 YRLD believer

Warm Regards

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles