Are carbon rims worth it on EMTBs?

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
To those that have carbon rims and especially those who have made the switch to carbon, is it worth it to upgrade to carbon rims?
Does the motor negate the rotational weight disadvantage of aluminum? Do you have to run heavier tires or inserts with carbon because of the increased bike weight?
Are EMTBs with carbon rims more prone to injury than on regular bikes?

APC_0076.jpg

Last edited:

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Be careful- go too light and you will lose rotational stability - which only shows up if you hit soft gloopy mud and your front end wanders all over the place.

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
I’m just try to get as much mileage as possible out of 1 charge.
Maybe riding a lighter set of wheels can help with that.
Somebody has experience with this?

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole

Cheaper to buy a spare battery!!! seriously though the usual tips will apply - pump the tires up hard, go tubeless, only use ECO, and plan routes that dont involve hills!!!

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming

The difference would be so small it would be lost in all of the other things that affect range. I like the lateral stiffness of carbon wheels, but they are often not vertically as compliant as aluminum wheels, which can be slightly more comfortable to ride. Not an issue if you are running +tires though. Carbon wheels are light and sexy, but not really worth the upgrade unless you have play money. Says a guy that has them on all his rides...... lol

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
To those that have carbon rims and especially those who have made the switch to carbon, is it worth it to upgrade to carbon rims?
Does the motor negate the rotational weight disadvantage of aluminum? Do you have to run heavier tires or inserts with carbon because of the increased bike weight?
Are EMTBs with carbon rims more prone to injury than on regular bikes?

View attachment 5007
I have had two sets of carbon wheels - it's a must in my opinion. 50MM wide carbon wheels make the tire wider and thus a bigger print and stability. No tire issues. Just use 2.8 Maxxis or the like 120 TPI for heavy dudes (like me) I have beat my wheels bad and they hold up just fine.....

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
I’m temrs of range the biggest way of extending it is losing weight yourself - nothing you do to the bike will compare to this, as rider weight is the biggest factor on range out there
Agree and pushing more on the peddles with lower motor watt. We are doing 5000 of accent on these bikes.

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
I’m temrs of range the biggest way of extending it is losing weight yourself - nothing you do to the bike will compare to this, as rider weight is the biggest factor on range out there

Working on it ;)
I use the blevo always in eco with max 20% support mc 9.
Mac i’m getting now is 55km with 1400m ascent.
Tought the switch to carbon 29 with a bit narrow tire could squeeze extra out of it.

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
Working on it ;)
I use the blevo always in eco with max 20% support mc 9.
Mac i’m getting now is 55km with 1400m ascent.
Tought the switch to carbon 29 with a bit narrow tire could squeeze extra out of it.
If you go to the US Specialized site and look up the EMTBs there is a range calculator that should give you an idea of how much losing weight extends your range. For me losing 10lbs gives me an extra 2miles but you can do it in metric.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
If you're after more miles, I'd buy a second battery.

I've been running carbon rims for 5 years; I've just put an insert in after this happened.

I was running stupidly low pressure and cased a root!

Night riding by james_mtb, on Flickr

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
If you're after more miles, I'd buy a second battery.

I've been running carbon rims for 5 years; I've just put an insert in after this happened.

I was running stupidly low pressure and cased a root!

Night riding by james_mtb, on Flickr

Ouch! ☹️
What brand is the wheel that was destroyed?
What psi/ BAR were you running at the time?
How much do you weigh?

I recently hit a square edged rock when running a MM 2.8 Snakeskin APEX Soft compound with 18psi on my carbon rims. It put 2 x 5mm holes in the tyre but luckily no damage to the SRAM ROAM 60 carbon rim. I am glad I went down the DH tyre super thick carcass route Instead of the insert route after seeing a very dented rim using Huck Norris inserts in another post which I will try and find and post for you.

Mind you, 5 years without damage is a fairly good stint. Although the damage looks like a proper rim right off ☹️

Last edited:

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Yep, total write off!

Unbranded rim (bought 2nd)
approx 15psi maybe less!!! I knew it needed air, but I was short on time!!
90kg

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
more protection = fewer pinch flats?
And no smashed rim as pictured above.
But I think @highpeakrider logic is valid. Lightweight rims but heavy tyres ?. My logic is inserts work and are lighter but......
The photo below is what can happen. Huck Norris insert used, the tyre was okay the rim, not so okay ☹️

However, there is a carbon rim available that might give me the confidence to use an insert and lighter duty tyre and not worry about the rim. The only problem to resolve for me personally regarding the Welsh slatey terrain I ride in is cuts/slashes to the sidewalls which inserts do not protect against....so I still may have to use DH or possibly try a Super Gravity carcass.

E2BB17A9-DFA4-456A-B6EF-B028A4419C3C.jpeg

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I can see them on a light weight race bike, not sure about an ebike, changing wheels has not occurred to me for the Focus the ARC40s seem fine.
I think you need to watch the video again....
If Danny H can’t break them with tyres on with super low pressures and then it took ages and multiple runs up and down stairs with no tyres on to destroy them I can’t see an ebike doing it with tyres on.
The get out of jail free card is they offer a no questions asked lifetime warranty on them.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I watched the video, my riding style does not require that level of strength for that cost, £1600 for a set of wheels, no thanks.

Fair enough, we are all different. For the terrain I ride in and the damage I am wanting to avoid they will be perfect for me

Last edited:

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Yep, total write off!

Unbranded rim (bought 2nd)

IME, a good carbon wheelset that isn't built for featherweights is tough as hell. I've had a couple that had a no issue warranty sort of deal that I completely abused and actively tried to destroy while riding my local trails and suffered no damage. An aluminum rim would have still been in one piece, but would have certainly been dented up and out of true. I have cracked one rear carbon rim, but it wasn't designed for what I was doing to it.

Unbranded usually means cheap Chinese carbon rims which have endless quality control issues, just google them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles