• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Anywhere in Australia to purchase a big-brand EMTB without 25kph restriction?

TrevC

Dec 26, 2019
Gold Coast, Australia
I've built several highered powered ebikes in the past (7kw and 15kw nominal), so I'm not looking for a crazy DIY motorcycle, I just don't want the 25k restriction. Even 32 seems more sensible. It seems crazy it's hard to even buy US firmware models here for use on private land (or have them unlocked by a dealer).

I assume it's usually a software nerf and not even hardware? 20mph/32kph seems far more useful.

I'm aware of most of the Chinese Bafang-based options. Is there anything else?

Cheers

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Anything you buy from a dealer they should be able to hook it up to their system and set at 32kph. As far as I am aware you guys are like here in NZ and use the more sensible American rules.
Personally, I think 25Mph - 40kph would be a far better limit.

TrevC

Dec 26, 2019
Gold Coast, Australia
Are there specific brands/dealers which are more flexible about re-flashing or changing firmware regions that you're aware of?

Even my local Specialized dealer I've known for a while indicated they couldn't change anything firmware related (seems odd) and was lectured about ebike laws. It was pretty ridiculous.

32kph isn't ideal either, but i'd accept it as a decent compromise. The limit wouldn't be as obvious on a MTB. I usually ride a non-electric Specialized Diverge and casually cruise well over 25 on flat terrain.

I'm evaluating the various DIY de-restriction options as well, but I don't need a no-limits bike in this case and would prefer to retain warranty on parts. :)

PlayDead

Feb 19, 2019
Australia
No dealer will be able to make that change for you in Australia as they are limited to 25km/h by law/legislation.

You will have to look to aftermarket options. Check out the specialized section as there are a few different options, some are software and there is at least one mechanical option, but I think that might be limitted to a particular period of manufacture.

TrevC

Dec 26, 2019
Gold Coast, Australia
No dealer will be able to make that change for you in Australia as they are limited to 25km/h by law/legislation.

You will have to look to aftermarket options. Check out the specialized section as there are a few different options, some are software and there is at least one mechanical option, but I think that might be limitted to a particular period of manufacture.

Yep, I'm most interested in systems where I can re-flash or change regions. Seems like even the latest Shimano system can be downgraded to older firmware + swap region, but only has 70nm rated torque. Haven't read any reviews on these for how they feel.

If there's really no options I'll probably get something like a Frey M600, but they look heavier and I'd assume Specialized/etc have better and more refined geometry.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Is there anything else?
There is only one ? 45 km/h 150 km range 29 kg
https://stealthelectricbikes.com/stealth-p-7r/

8E6504C6-9727-4A63-BF5D-9BF217002123.jpeg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Yep, I'm most interested in systems where I can re-flash or change regions.
A pre 2020 black Kenevo that has not been updated to the latest firmware may be the best & stealthiest choice ( in reality no maybes :)).

According to a reasonable interpretation of the warranty & comments from @Specialized Rider Care here, you could use BLEvo to change output to local limits as required i.e. 32 km/h in the US, and not lose your warranty - as long as you don't reduce wheel circumference to below 2000mm and don't otherwise derestrict the motor.

Great bikes, but not stealth enough ;) They still look very "ebike", though not as much as my previous 15-18kw ride:
View attachment 23581 View attachment 23582
Very Nice! QS are monsters !!! The rear wheel weighs almost as much as my Kenevo. Is that a Schlumpf? People don't get it but pedals/movable pegs are essential.

TrevC

Dec 26, 2019
Gold Coast, Australia
According to a reasonable interpretation of the warranty & comments from @Specialized Rider Care here, you could use BLEvo to change output to local limits as required i.e. 32 km/h in the US, and not lose your warranty - as long as you don't reduce wheel circumference to below 2000mm and don't otherwise derestrict the motor.
That's exactly what I want. Not looking to push the system beyond intended design spec, but the Australian firmware limits are a step too far for such a machine (IMO). Does this apply to Turbo Levo as well? I'd assume it must

Very Nice! QS are monsters !!! The rear wheel weighs almost as much as my Kenevo. Is that a Schlumpf? People don't get it but pedals/movable pegs are essential.
Good eye! It's a Schlumpf (which is some crazy engineering) and later revision Cromotor. It jumped through 0-70kph very quickly and topped out around 100-ish.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Who told you that? Got a reliable source?
Well, he is English so anything he says must be taken with a grain of salt :D
Reckons that his local MP is an ebike fan and at an election meeting recently he asked about several rules that changed regarding his occupation and was told there was going to be a lot of things changed regarding EU regulations vs Rest of the World stuff. Some time after that he asked about ebikes and was told that was on the list to be examined - apparently many MPs have been asked about it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles