Anyone try Ergon's new E- Mtb saddle?

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
I upgraded to the Ergon Standard saddle last summer and noticed a HUGE improvement over the standard Cube saddle that came with the bike. Much much more comfortable over long rides.
I would love to try the new E-Mtb version, but as I just got a new saddle I guess it will have to wait.

After 6 months with the totally rock hard and uncomfortable OEM Cube saddle I bit the bullet and bought the Ergon E-MTB saddle today. The OEM Cube one is manufactured by Selle Royale, probably as cheaply as possible. I tried to think I could break my ass into it, but gave up today.

The LBS measured my sit bones on an Ergon machine. Problem was first go it was 14cm, then the next one was 11.something, so I tried again and it was 11.something so we went with best of 3. I'm 6ft and 98kg, but the 11cm sizing put me into the small/medium size so I went with it.

I didn't really care about the E specific claims. I too sit on the nose of the saddle when climbing steep. If I sit at the back I just wheelie too much. Also, the ramp at the back worries me that it'll hinder getting off the back for downhills.

I just went with Ergon because they have a good reputation, the saddle has a cut out and there were no other Ergon saddles in the shop. I got numb toes and dick after an hour on the old Cube saddle, which didn't have a cut out. Otherwise I was tempted to get a Brooks leather one for pretty much the same price.

I was a bit concerned with the wildly different readings of the machine and also, when I asked the LBS what happens if this saddle is uncomfortable, they just gave the usual Swiss shrug.

I've only tried it quickly around the car park and it felt pretty uncomfortable - softer than the Cube one but it felt narrow and the cut out made it feel sharper, not very comfortable. However, my mind is open and I'll report back later after a longer ride.

Update - went on a two hour ride and the Ergon saddle felt too hard, like other have experienced and also it felt quite narrow, a bad fit. I'll persevere with it for a few days to see if it breaks in and then either take it back to the shop to be told "tough shit", the modus operandum of retailers here in Switzerland or suck it up and buy another saddle from another brand.

Last edited:

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Update...
I had fitted the Ergon E saddle and wasn't that happy with it. It wasn't that comfortable, quite firm and didn't really do anything that well.

Have traded it in on an SQ Labs 60X active 14cm width after using their sizing guid and i am very impressed. No longer am i getting sit bone pain. Can recommend!

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
Tried this Ergon eMTB saddle but not for my ass and it is the winner. For me it is too hard. Shape of saddle is good ( the upper end and perinea zone ) but general saddle too hard. I'am 1m80 tall and 90kg weight. Doing XC AM. Saddle returned to shop.

Tried the Selle Royal eZone. Far much better. It is comfy. Shape is good too. The cons is lack of perinea cut-out ... materials used on SR eZone are very good.

UPDATE:

now I have SQLabs 604 Active, it's wonderfull, found my saddle, riding for hours and no pain! ?

Last edited:

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
I’ve always used Fabric Radius, very comfortable. Recently cracked a seat rail, so I’ve bought and fitted an Ergon E, up to now not impressed. Hard and uncomfortable , I’m going to give time to bed in and see if it improves. If not , back Fabric ??‍♂️

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
Canyon appear to have a tie in with Ergon so their Ebike saddles may be made in the same factory but priced cheaper.
They seem to share the split flexi seatpost design.
I know Canyon partner with Tacx too on a director level.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Interesting thread and I have actually bought one, but not fitted it, to my new bike. I have been on ISM saddles for over 5 years, having swopped to them on all bikes before some unpleasant surgery. I use road, gravel and MTB specific models, so for MTB it’s the PM version. I find ISM hugely comfortable but always open to new ideas so may give this Ergon one a shot.....or maybe I’ll return it ! New bike will get it’s first ride this weekend and will decide in a week or so.

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
Maybe because I'm getting old or possibly because I'm from 'Ecky Thump' land but I would love to have a Brooks leather one on my Levo it's just impractical with the weather.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
These are comfy:

vintage-metal-tractor-seat-old-antique-farm-equipment-iron-cast-seats-john-deere-hay-rake-impl...jpg

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
+1 for an Ergon. Find it very comfy. Any saddle IMHO for 5 hours will eventually grate on you but this one I have found the best so far and I’ve been through a few saddles..

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I find myself many times strugglin with the saddle, that’s true, this saddle worth a try, but for that @Ergon, be wise and give samples to some stores. Blind shopping it’s a risky thing.

Having said that, in my humble opinion, it’s doesn’t matter if it’s rated E- ... a saddle has to fit your butt and your butt has to fit in the saddle. Ergon don’t take any sci fiction here, saddle has a shape that while it can do his purposed job, if it’s don’t match with your b bones, riding style or whatever, you’re not going to like on the long rides. It’s hard to develop a saddle with a universal fit. God try to create all of us equals, but he fail with our butts

Last edited:

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I have used the Ergon e-mtb saddle for a long time, and it's a treat for the rear end.
Rode 424 km over the alps for a week - with absolutely no problems in that department ;)

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
As said above, getting a comfortable saddle is a black art. Fortunately, many manufacturers now try to address this with different saddles for different shapes but it is still always going to be a risk buying a saddle without trying it first. Terry were one of the first to recognise that women need a different saddle shape. Then men started buying them as the cut out helped prevent numbness (which somehow was just not talked about) but now doctors agree can be harmful and lead to all sorts of problems. Now, many saddles have cut outs but there are other subtle differences which make all the difference. I knew within half an hour that the standard Henge saddle for my Kenevo did not work for me when I did a test ride. Fortunately, my LBS were happy to swop it. They suggested the Power model which they said many of them found comfortable. Despite looking very similar, the difference for me in comfort was considerable and I'm quite happy with this. The Ergon concept looks interesting and I would like to try one but I wouldn't buy before I had tried.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
My sit bone is 150mm which I measure at Berkshire Cycles. Couldn't get on with the Spesh seat.

I saw Ergon at EUROBIKE with Rob and got talked through the saddle. Loads of thought has gone into the ergonomics as you would expect. The rear tray is the best bit for my it just parks your bum in the right spot, the moment I sat on it I knew it would be good for me!

It's £65.81 on Amazon at the moment which is way below what I paid for it:

Ergon Sm E-mtb Sport Mens Saddle

bector

Oct 22, 2019
Bodø, Norway
Great saddle! I've used it for a month, now, and I like it a lot. No pressurepoints and top quality. The upsweep in the back works well in long, seated climbs. Maybe the most comfortable, and still sporty, saddle I'we owned.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Wiggle doing this look good and a bargain

One size fits all? Seems that there is only size "L3". Whatever that means.

(Although it's 50% dearer for delivery in Spain - and Wiggle want postage on top. Not that I'll be using Wiggle ever again, but thanks for the headsup.)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Every product development (not just saddles) starts by defining the design parameters. Whether scientific or non-scientific procedures are used, the end goal is the same - solve the perceived problems that the parameters impose.

The presumption here is that eBikers climb while seated for extended times, and ride for longer periods, and that sit bone widths should dictate the size of the saddle. And these are all valid, logical and practical parameters. The end result is a saddle that addresses those issues. If you happen to fit the category of the test group used to verify and fine tune the design, then this saddle is for you.

But then we know that eBiking (or cycling in general for that matter) can also have vast parameters outside of any particular design brief. What is an eMTB for example? Is it used as a trail commuter-explorer, a XC trail bike, an enduro brawler, a DH rig? What kind of MTB riding skill levels were required to qualify a cyclist to take part in the product prototype test group? It’s simply not possible to cover all the bases.

I’m in the camp of ‘try before you buy’ especially when it comes to saddles. Judging by the amount of spare saddles I’ve got and given away, this isn’t always possible. An ‘e’ in front of anything doesn’t necessarily blanket cover your specific requirements just because your bike also happens to have an ‘e’ in front of it.

Is this marketing hype? Of course it is, nothing new here - every commercial product needs it for manufacturers to succeed/survive. It’s the industry’s job to innovate, produce and promote. It’s our privilege to be awake and select wisely.

No doubt this is a well made product, and this saddle will work very well for some - but not for others... just like it’s always been with bike saddles. All the best to the Ergon eMTB saddle all the same.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Love my Ergon Saddle. Must admit I was sceptical about it but it's the comfiest I've had, and I have had around 5. Rode 225 miles in 5 days on it, had a bit of a sore bum but was never sat there feeling it was a razor blade like others.

Had my sitbone measured at Berkshire Cycles, easy to do at home but I was there for the Turbo Store opening and had a play. That helps narrow down a lot of options.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles