• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Anyone suggest roof carriers

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
I built this to carry my fat bike, works a treat, and I still have room for a standard Thule bike carrier. (sorry about pic quality, David Bailey I ain’t).

Let me know if you’re interested in building one and I’ll post some details.

6F22F551-C8C1-4FDE-A310-417A6CAFFD41.jpeg

018E0FF8-1DF2-465E-8D84-7280920EC308.jpeg

9518BC73-669C-4841-823D-33FFECD00FF8.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Are you strong enough to lift your emtb above your head and lean out over the car? Or is it a two-man job?

With the tendon injuries on my left shoulder and my dodgy lower back, there is no way I could risk it. I might manage to get the bike on safely enough, but by the time I got to where the bike was going to be ridden, I wouldn't be able to get it off the rack! :eek:

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
Ive just bought a Thule thruride 565 however I’m yet to test it. But i read on a german forum a guy has mounted his Levo on it and travelled in excess of 3000 miles without an issue.

It clamps the front thru axel and rear wheel. The weight limit is 17kg on the carrier but i figured without the front wheel and battery removed ill be under that. That also should be a problem lifting on the roof.

I get my Levo tomorrow so will hopefully confirm my theory.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Are you strong enough to lift your emtb above your head and lean out over the car? Or is it a two-man job?

With the tendon injuries on my left shoulder and my dodgy lower back, there is no way I could risk it. I might manage to get the bike on safely enough, but by the time I got to where the bike was going to be ridden, I wouldn't be able to get it off the rack! :eek:
I can, just about, get it on / off myself but it is really a two man job. Not least because I need someone to steady it whilst getting the straps in place.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I can, just about, get it on / off myself but it is really a two man job. Not least because I need someone to steady it whilst getting the straps in place.

This is a serious consideration. If you have even a minor off whilst out on the bike that knocks the shoulders or your back, you are going to persuade someone to help you load the bike onto the roof rack for you.

andyb90

Dec 19, 2018
Marchwiel
This is a serious consideration. If you have even a minor off whilst out on the bike that knocks the shoulders or your back, you are going to persuade someone to help you load the bike onto the roof rack for you.
This was my problem with my normal MTB, so not half as heavy as an E-Bike, had an off around the Lakes, managed to limp back to the car park on fireroads, but couldn't even lift my right arm above my waist let alone the roof holding a bike, was just grateful that spring I made the switch to a towbar mount rack, could just roll the bike up.

It did make for an interesting journey home, trying to avoid changing gear too much, thankfully most of the way is the M6, so could just sit and relax (as best i could).

Plus the four hour A+E wait later wasn't very nice :(

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District

This should be a no don’t do it.
I rode Macclesfield forest over the summer but had to lift my Focus over two locked gates. Two weeks latter a disc bulged when I bent over, three months off work, a fortune on physio and I still have muscle spasms and deadness in my right thigh.

Luckily I can still ride my bike on smother stuff but I’m not lifting an ebike again.

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
Tried the Thule Thruride out on my regular mtb earlier, seems really well made, easy to handle bike up and i think its safer for the bike to travel like this due to lower sense of gravity. Bike felt rock solid when clamped on.

Will report back when i try the levo out on it.
IMG_0867.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles