Anyone seen damage like this before?

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
I've got an odd bit of damage to the bike and I've no clue how it could have happened. See the photo. There is so much metal worn away it very odd. It's clean as though something is still rubbing it now.

20191030_150550.jpg

20191030_150558.jpg

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
Ok so as I looked at the photos when I posted I realised it must be the chain guide so nipped back out and sure enough this is the other side.
20191030_151629.jpg

Time for another call to wiggle as I've never moved it So has been like this since delivery.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
I've got an odd bit of damage to the bike and I've no clue how it could have happened. See the photo. There is so much metal worn away it very odd. It's clean as though something is still rubbing it now.

Looks like the chain guard/guide is too far back and has collided with the chainstay.
If that bit is a tube, I'd be quite concerned.

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
Went back again, let all the air out of my shock and moved the chain stay around. It hits in every position so would be the mount to the frame that's out of position. All very odd still.

20191030_154839.jpg

20191030_154936.jpg

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Ok so as I looked at the photos when I posted I realised it must be the chain guide so nipped back out and sure enough this is the other side.
View attachment 20880

Time for another call to wiggle as I've never moved it So has been like this since delivery.

Yeah, exact thing happened to mine, also mine was a bit deeper too, combination of suspension moving and guide hitting. I had to cut and stick a small piece of aluminium on to protect the gouge mark and most likely it will be ongoing. You'll be extremely lucky if you get any joy on warranty...here's hoping. Should also say you can move the chain guide BB plate around a bit, I did.

Last edited:

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
Yeah, exact thing happened to mine, also mine was a bit deeper too, combination of suspension moving and guide hitting. I had to cut and stick a small piece of aluminium on to protect the gouge mark and most likely it will be ongoing. You'll be extremely lucky if you get any joy on warranty...here's hoping. Should also say you can move the chain guide BB plate around a bit, I did.

Interesting that someone else had the issue. Did you even try a claim? I'm going to be pushing them on this. The only possible way they could block the claim is because I did drop the motor a few inches to fit the brakes and you do have to remove the BB plate to get at one of the motor bolts iirc. I'd have fitted it back to the same marks when redoing it though as the screws would have left a mark.

I've moved the guide as far as it'll go and unless fully compressed it just about misses.

Or just throw the chain guide away, they are rarely ever needed if you have narrow/wide chain retention and a clutch rear mech

Very true. I'll certainly be checking it on any future bikes and trying it without if there is any risk of contact.

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Or just throw the chain guide away, they are rarely ever needed if you have narrow/wide chain retention and a clutch rear mech
But on that rare occasion, what happens. How much damage will be caused by the chain slipping off the inside of the chain wheel under power? Can the chain even be freed on the trail?

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
So that's 3 of us. Hopefully others have already complained too that don't use the forums. Obviously some clearances aren't quite enough or the build process is flawed when it comes to setting the bracket correctly.

Might be worth you raising it as well, the more they see this issue, the more chance they'll accept something is wrong (y)

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
I have this with my 2018 sommet, although to a lesser degree, the rubber chain guard has a chunk missing and there is a tiny bit of paint worn away. Tbh I not even bothered about it, I just touched it up with the paint that came with the bike. I think it might have been my fault as I have dropped the motor to replace my dropper cable so had to take the chain guide off. If I replaced the rubber chain guide it would not even be visible.

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
I have this with my 2018 sommet, although to a lesser degree, the rubber chain guard has a chunk missing and there is a tiny bit of paint worn away. Tbh I not even bothered about it, I just touched it up with the paint that came with the bike. I think it might have been my fault as I have dropped the motor to replace my dropper cable so had to take the chain guide off. If I replaced the rubber chain guide it would not even be visible.

Yea I'd live with it if mine hadn't gotten so deep. It's 2/3mm of metal. If they won't fix I'll get it welded sanded and painted myself.

I dropped my motor too but I always refit using the marks left by the original screw locations, not to say I didn't get it wrong but I'm sticking to my 'I didn't do it' ??

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I've just checked mine and no issues however it is installed with the guide as far forward as possible.
I can't remember if I set it when I got the bike but as I basically stripped it down and rebuilt it then I probably did.
If it wont clear it's possibly bent?

If I had the same clearance issue and I couldn't fix it I'd just replace the installed chain guide with a OneUP. Very minimalistic and small, works fine IME.
Chain Guide - ISCG05 - V2

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles