Anyone riding a HARO SHIFT I/O

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
First real Mountain bike & first EMTB, pretty happy with it. Doesn't look like there are any other Haro riders here..
005.JPG

cclaiter

Dec 3, 2019
Vancouver
I am considering purchasing a haro electric mountain bike. Would you mind telling me haro shift bike you purchased. I enquired with a dealer in Vancouver, but I was told that they did not think they were available in Canada. Did you purchase yours in Kelowna?

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
I am considering purchasing a haro electric mountain bike. Would you mind telling me haro shift bike you purchased. I enquired with a dealer in Vancouver, but I was told that they did not think they were available in Canada. Did you purchase yours in Kelowna?

Hi, yes I purchased my'n here 2019 HARO SHIFT PLUS 5 I/O | Kelowna Yamaha & Marine

I paid less than sticker price. It's my first proper mountain bike & it is really good for the price except I had to add a dropper post. The only problem is this dealer is new to ebikes so they are not able to do updates & the bike is in EU setting so limited to 25km. I'm trying to get this solved, dealing with Shimano & the Haro Canada rep which is "Live to play sports" in Vancouver.

Last edited:

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Two models of Haro E-MTB were distributed by LTP (a distributor owned by Norco) in Canada for one year. I don't think they're doing it now. My shop sold a pair of them, one the same bike as the OP, and the other a similar hardtail model. Both customers have been very happy with them from what we've heard back thus far.

Even though LTP isn't distributing them at the moment, supporting them is no problem as the bikes are a mix of industry standard bike parts and industry standard Shimano electric parts.

Haro mid-drive e-bikes (which include Del Sol cruiser e-bikes) are very good. Del Sol does also have a couple of inexpensive Bafang hub models that are less inspiring, but we sell the ones with Shimano mid-drive motors. I hear rumours of a Del Sol model with a Bafang mid-drive for 2021.

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Shift Plus i/O 9
Look at the new ones. They are supposed to be here in the US in March 2020. I have a friend that works at Haro. Says they are getting great feedback from testing. They look awesome and have a pretty big battery and really nice components. Probably available in Canada about the same time I would expect?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
the bike is in EU setting so limited to 25km.
If you install stunlocker, connect to the bike, upgrade the licence {approx 30 euros} you can change an EU bike to US.

A Shimano service centre should in theory have the box to connect to the bike and should also be able to reconfigure it.

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
If you install stunlocker, connect to the bike, upgrade the licence {approx 30 euros} you can change an EU bike to US.

A Shimano service centre should in theory have the box to connect to the bike and should also be able to reconfigure it.

Yeah maybe I should have went that route but my thinking is why should I have to hack the system on my new bike & possibly void the warranty on something that should have been done before I received it? Why did LTP send these bikes out in EU mode?

So I took it to a bike shop to get it changed & they tell me that only Shimano has the access code and can then change it with the bike shop. So I'm waiting for this to happen but after 10 days I call Shimano. The guy in Cali. was very helpful & called the bike shop to get this going. Then Shimano decides that LTP should be responsible for getting this done. So nothing happens for a week so I call the guy at LTP. He was very nice & sounding like he was on it, but that was 2 weeks ago... Guess I'll call this week. What a PIA!

Since they did update the firmware would the stunlocker still work? And like I said I don't feel I should have to void my warranty on my new bike...

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC

Bike shops cannot change these things. We can't even change the tire circumference ourselves. My shop has the official Shimano E-Tube Kit (which cost us hundreds of dollars), and is a Shimano authorized dealer, and to change tire circumference we have to get Shimano to do it. Changing the tire circumference can only be done remotely, Mon.-Fri., during Shimano office hours, and only if the one person who can do it happens to not be busy at the time.

So no matter how much you pay me, I cannot change from 25-to-32 km/h, or change the tire circumference, using Shimano's tools. Shimano can change the tire circumference, and is willing to do so within reason, within the aforementioned caveats that I mentioned. They actually log in remotely to one of our PCs to do it and we can't tell what tools they're using to do it with (but whatever the tools are, we don't have them and can't get them).

I've never asked Shimano about changing from 25 to 32 km/h, and have no idea how they'd react to that request. I suppose if someone moves from Europe/Asia/Australia to North America, it would be a perfectly reasonable request to ask Shimano to do that for us, and my guess is they probably could and the process would be similar to what I described above (Shimano logging into the PC remotely after wiring the bike up to the PC).

We also can't do things like change how powerful each level of assist is, except to the preprogrammed presets available in the E-Tube Mobile app (which oddly aren't in the E-Tube software for Windows, so we'd have to hook it up to a compatible mobile device to do that).

Last edited:

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Yeah maybe I should have went that route but my thinking is why should I have to hack the system on my new bike & possibly void the warranty on something that should have been done before I received it? Why did LTP send these bikes out in EU mode?

So I took it to a bike shop to get it changed & they tell me that only Shimano has the access code and can then change it with the bike shop. So I'm waiting for this to happen but after 10 days I call Shimano. The guy in Cali. was very helpful & called the bike shop to get this going. Then Shimano decides that LTP should be responsible for getting this done. So nothing happens for a week so I call the guy at LTP. He was very nice & sounding like he was on it, but that was 2 weeks ago... Guess I'll call this week. What a PIA!

Since they did update the firmware would the stunlocker still work? And like I said I don't feel I should have to void my warranty on my new bike...

A configuration mistake at the factory is the likeliest explanation. I've seen Raleigh and Opus bikes come with incorrect tire circumferences from the factory (set to 2400mm when they should be more like 2200mm). The configuration mistakes I saw were typically in 2016-2017 model year bikes, as the companies didn't realize that they had to provide customized configuration files to the factory to install, but I have seen them as late as early 2019 bikes. As of late 2019, none of our suppliers are sending us bikes with the wrong tire circumference anymore, so that's a win.

I'm so sorry you're having such hassles! It doesn't matter if it's Shimano's or LTP's fault, it seems to me the solution is for a bike shop to wire the bike up with the E-Tube Project to a Windows PCs, get Shimano to log in remotely, and correct it. We've done it on a dozen bikes at least with no problems. The guy who does this at Shimano is not always available, so making an appointment for him to phone the shop at a pre-agreed time could be a winner.

You mentioned the shop is new to e-bikes. The required software is free, but the required hardware is not. You may need to encourage them to buy the hardware, or you may have to contact another shop that already has it. If you're ever in Victoria BC, we'd be pleased to help you out, no charge!

Last edited:

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Shift Plus i/O 9
Look at the new ones. They are supposed to be here in the US in March 2020. I have a friend that works at Haro. Says they are getting great feedback from testing. They look awesome and have a pretty big battery and really nice components. Probably available in Canada about the same time I would expect?

LTP is the Canadian distributor for Haro's brands (Haro, Del Sol, and Premium). For 2020 e-bikes they seem to have chosen to distribute the Del Sol branded e-bikes, but not the Haro branded e-bikes. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to learn more!

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
A configuration mistake at the factory is the likeliest explanation. I've seen Raleigh and Opus bikes come with incorrect tire circumferences from the factory (set to 2400mm when they should be more like 2200mm). The configuration mistakes I saw were typically in 2016-2017 model year bikes, as the companies didn't realize that they had to provide customized configuration files to the factory to install, but I have seen them as late as early 2019 bikes. As of late 2019, none of our suppliers are sending us bikes with the wrong tire circumference anymore, so that's a win.

I'm so sorry you're having such hassles! It doesn't matter if it's Shimano's or LTP's fault, it seems to me the solution is for a bike shop to wire the bike up with the E-Tube Project to a Windows PCs, get Shimano to log in remotely, and correct it. We've done it on a dozen bikes at least with no problems. The guy who does this at Shimano is not always available, so making an appointment for him to phone the shop at a pre-agreed time could be a winner.

You mentioned the shop is new to e-bikes. The required software is free, but the required hardware is not. You may need to encourage them to buy the hardware, or you may have to contact another shop that already has it. If you're ever in Victoria BC, we'd be pleased to help you out, no charge!

Thank you for your insight & info! I will be on the Island for April & May & would definitely check out your shop if I get down island. I guess I bought both Haro bikes that came into Canada, the "Double Peak" hard tail with the Shimano E6100 is my wife's bike. Unfortunately I'm told it's "hard wired" in EU mode so can't be changed :( The chargers on these bikes had EU plugs (shop gave us adapters) so it seems they were destined for Europe from factory.

I was getting frustrated as I hadn't heard from anyone in 3 weeks when the local "Shimano service center" shop called & said that Shimano was going to do it, they had to call Japan to get special permission! I rushed my bike down & in less than 2 hours was called to pick it up & all is good! :)

006.JPG

011.JPG

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Thank you for your insight & info! I will be on the Island for April & May & would definitely check out your shop if I get down island. I guess I bought both Haro bikes that came into Canada, the "Double Peak" hard tail with the Shimano E6100 is my wife's bike. Unfortunately I'm told it's "hard wired" in EU mode so can't be changed :( The chargers on these bikes had EU plugs (shop gave us adapters) so it seems they were destined for Europe from factory.

I was getting frustrated as I hadn't heard from anyone in 3 weeks when the local "Shimano service center" shop called & said that Shimano was going to do it, they had to call Japan to get special permission! I rushed my bike down & in less than 2 hours was called to pick it up & all is good! :)

View attachment 23812

View attachment 23813

Ah, very cool. And yes, those are the two models of Haro e-bike that I've seen in Canada so far! :) We sold one of each, and can't get more from the supplier yet (otherwise we might, they were good bikes!).

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
Been riding a Haro I/O5 since March 2018. Please checkout my 8 minute documentary on Youtube View attachment 30640
Thanks, I'll be getting the 2020 ebikes soon and I'll post them on here for everybody to checkout. Stay loyal to the brand. :)

WOW what an amazing story! You are a champion Eddy!!
I really enjoy my Haro, I Iook forward to seeing the 2020 ebikes! Thanks for posting!

snakeoilpedaler

May 19, 2020
USA
Hi, I am researching purchasing my first EMTB. My good friend has a Specialized Levo that I have ridden once on a few flat trails and it was great. The pandemic is preventing me from demoing other bikes, though, so I am uninformed during this decision period.
I am interested in the Haro Shift Plus i/O 5, based on positive reviews and low price. I cannot find the weight of the i/O 5. Does anyone here know? Also, who has a good argument for the Haro over the Specialized? Thanks.

Eddy King

Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I am researching purchasing my first EMTB. My good friend has a Specialized Levo that I have ridden once on a few flat trails and it was great. The pandemic is preventing me from demoing other bikes, though, so I am uninformed during this decision period.
I am interested in the Haro Shift Plus i/O 5, based on positive reviews and low price. I cannot find the weight of the i/O 5. Does anyone here know? Also, who has a good argument for the Haro over the Specialized? Thanks.

It really comes down to your pocketbook. How much you want to spend that will potentially enhanced your experience? What kind of terrain you'll be riding and your lever of skill. Myself personally: The 2020 Haro I/O5 comes in with a few changes I know about. A larger battery capacity, and a 29 inch front wheel & 27.5 rear wheel. That seems to be trend other manufactures are doing, (Intense, YT, Pivot, Phantic, etc...) Make sure you test the other motors out. I prefer the Shimano Steps over all motors. Specifically knowing they are reputable and are the most trusted ebike motor out there. Don't get me wrong, If I had big bucks, Specialized makes awesome bikes along with many other ebike companies. The evolution keeps getting better and better each year. www.Haromtb.com

snakeoilpedaler

May 19, 2020
USA
It really comes down to your pocketbook. How much you want to spend that will potentially enhanced your experience? What kind of terrain you'll be riding and your lever of skill. Myself personally: The 2020 Haro I/O5 comes in with a few changes I know about. A larger battery capacity, and a 29 inch front wheel & 27.5 rear wheel. That seems to be trend other manufactures are doing, (Intense, YT, Pivot, Phantic, etc...) Make sure you test the other motors out. I prefer the Shimano Steps over all motors. Specifically knowing they are reputable and are the most trusted ebike motor out there. Don't get me wrong, If I had big bucks, Specialized makes awesome bikes along with many other ebike companies. The evolution keeps getting better and better each year. www.Haromtb.com
I will rein in cost, but not sacrifice quality & durability. I will be riding on well-trafficked dirt trails, single-track sometimes, small topography & terrain changes mostly. I hope to get into the mountains soon, but not confident yet to tackle the steep downhill tracks. I am a beginner to mountain biking & e-bikes, and want a bike that lets me go wherever. I will have a riding pal who is adventurous and more experienced. Thanks for the advice on testing motors and the 2020 model year changes.

Eddy King

Apr 5, 2020
Crawford919 - To be honest with you I'm not really the one to be giving hard core riding characteristics on an e-mtb. I'm 56 yrs old and barely catch any air on a bike these days. I am a paraplegic. Going downhill on a technical course, yes I can give you some feedback on suspension. I test rode this Haro for about 13 miles and on boost full time. We did about 1200 feet of climbing and I weigh about 170lbs. I only lost 1 of the 5 bars on the Darfon 630wh internal battery. On the my other bike with the Shimano battery i'd be near the end, scrapping to get home with those numbers. I did upgrade the pedals to the Shimano PD-M8040 ML. These pedals absolutely are the best in my opinion. The 2020 I/O 9 absolutely rips going downhill with that 29er front end. Smashing through rock gardens with ease with 170mm travel F/R. Where else can you get Shimano DI2 shifting on an e-mtb for $5999? I'll follow up with you when I decide to test out the distance with this battery. For now it does the job.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles