Anyone know where to find out which rear spring I need @ 200lbs riding weight?

Steveg56

Nov 7, 2019
California
This would be for my 2020 Kenevo Expert with super deluxe rear shock. Currently have a S3 with a 500lb coil...feels a bit squishy to me.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I had the same dilemma with my 2020 Kenevo comp.

The comp in S3 comes with a Marzocchi Bomber CR rather than Rockshox deluxe but the same 500lb spring weight also felt too soft however when I was searching for the correct spring weight I found that no two spring calculators give the same spring weight and some are so vastly different which I find very strange.

Once I had my details I basically tested every spring calculator I could find online and took the mean average, with my full kit I weighed in around 17 stone / 107.9 kg / 238 lbs and the calculation ranged anywhere from 550lb to as high as 750lb! some calculators are better than others and give you the option to choose the sag you'd like and as I prefer a stiffer and more popping rear shock I ended up ordering a 600lb & 650lb and currently running the 650lb.

Spring calculators I used:
TF Tuned
Fox
Rockshox
Marzocchi (on the right under the drop down "3 Steps to Buy the Right Shock")
J-Tech suspension
Canecreek
Ohlins
Bear and Wife

This might seem a bit extreme but once you've got the numbers needed it's easy to input to get the data and my logic was measure twice (or 8 times) and buy once (I ordered two :ROFLMAO:) hope this helps.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
I was looking at a coil shock for my Levo which resulted in me in my kitchen weighing myself with various configurations of riding gear on. A phone call to TFTuned resulted in them telling me that I would need a spring weight around 800lb. They basically took my riding weight of 106 kg (+1.5kg for water when required) and added 5-7 kg for the battery and motor. This basically ruled out the coil shock idea on the Levo since my choices were seriously limited and they advised sticking with my DPX2 but consider a custom tune.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
It's bloody annoying isn't it. Why this info can't be on their website. They must know what spring weight is suitable to get 30% sag based on the riders weight.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
It's bloody annoying isn't it. Why this info can't be on their website. They must know what spring weight is suitable to get 30% sag based on the riders weight.
Erm have you read the comments above? 3 comments up I have literally attached 8 different places you can get this information from.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I had this problem when I bought a coil, nearly everyone I spoke to recommended a different one, doesn’t make sense.
In the end I bought an ohlins with a 570 spring, I,m 85kg undressed and it was perfect.
Will be selling it soon btw?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I bought my coil shock from TFTuned and their spring guide were bang on for me - I’m 220 pounds and got a 700 lbs so my best guess is that you will need a 600 - 650 lbs spring.

Karsten

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
What's up with number printed behind the spring rate on the original spring? Always thought, this number is the max riders weight for the spring, isn't it?
From memory for example 600lbs / 106kg...

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
What's up with number printed behind the spring rate on the original spring? Always thought, this number is the max riders weight for the spring, isn't it?
From memory for example 600lbs / 106kg...
Those numbers are indicating how strong the spring is, I.e. 600 lbs means that the force needed to compress it 1 inch is 600 lbs or 106 kg to move it 1 cm. Has nothing to do with rider weight.

Karsten

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
Ah... thanks(y)
My dealer didn't know that and we thought, this number must be the riders weight. Seemed to be plausible:giggle:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Ah... thanks(y)
My dealer didn't know that and we thought, this number must be the riders weight. Seemed to be plausible:giggle:
As a side note; if your dealer does not know that I would seriously look for another dealer as it is a very common knowledge when dealing with coil suspension.

Karsten

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Erm have you read the comments above? 3 comments up I have literally attached 8 different places you can get this information from.
Yes. Loads of 3rd party links for generic spring calculators, rather then the manufacturer of the bike, who should be providing this basic information on their website.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Yes. Loads of 3rd party links for generic spring calculators, rather then the manufacturer of the bike, who should be providing this basic information on their website.
Yes links to the manufacturer of the actual product and that makes sense seeing as the Kenevo uses both Marzocchi and Rockshox products.

My point was that you're saying its not online but it clearly is. Why does it matter if the info is from the spesh website or the manufactutrer of the shock?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Yes links to the manufacturer of the actual product and that makes sense seeing as the Kenevo uses both Marzocchi and Rockshox products.

My point was that you're saying its not online but it clearly is. Why does it matter if the info is from the spesh website or the manufactutrer of the shock?

If you think its acceptable to enter the info into every spring calculator you can find and then take an average that fine.
I dont think thats acceptable. Spesh developed the bike, understand the suspension kinematics & should be able to suggest a suitable spring weight. As the manufacturers of my dh bike do on their website.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Or go one better.

Use the "sag" function in linkage pro.

It's a useful tool as you can calculate sag via rider weight, forward/aft rider position, spring rate or any variable of those.

Never have to guess again, however it relies on the bike been available in the software or having the time/know how to draw it up.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Bear and Wife
Is the most accurate calc in your list. it's been around a long time (originally under anther name) Fox basically "borrowed" it.
But you need to read the instructions, understand them and input the data required accurately.
Paying particular attention to the correction for progression correction.

TF tuned's calc offers a basic/simplified choice between rear suspension designs.
ie. single pivot/DW versus 4-Bar/VPP This is actually pretty flawed as spring curve/progression are not actually determined by any of these suspension layouts but how the designer implemented their kinematics..
not all suspension designs perform best with the same sag % either.

rockshox calc is really poor/inacurate

But even after all that most manufacturers coil springs rates can be upto 50lb out if measured on a calibrated hydraulic press ..
Ti springs are generally a little more accurate in rate.

Truth of the matter is most riders correct spring rate lies between 2 available springs anyway so it's best to buy both springs and use the one appropriate to the riding you actually plan on doing.

In the grand scheme of things springs are fairly cheap items so don't be afraid to try a few until you're happy

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
J-Tech's advanced spring calc will also be very accurate if used correctly.
James knows his stuff;
Good Data in = good data out tho ;)

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
What advice, from values from different bikes with completely different kinematics like the Levo up to taking the average out of random numbers from the internet :(

I got 15Kg on top of you and I am good with the 650lb. Being you I would order the 550 and 600 to try and send one back.

Spec even has a suspension calculator
Suspension Calculator App | Specialized.com
...it just misses the Kenevo.
@Specialized Rider Care Any chance to fix this?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles