Anyone know what this this rounded allen bolt on my brand new bike does?

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
IMG_20200602_173905.jpg
IMG_20200602_173918.jpg

After a long wait new bike arrived today from bike discount.de and I noticed this straight away. Guessing rounded allen bolt may be something to do with internal battery but don't know. Totally mullered and I don't really want to start riding with it like this as bound to be saving up a problem for later. Situation made worse by fact they are taking around 5-7 days to even reply to e-mails.

Anyone know what the bolt is and or prospects of removing/replacing without having to wait an eternity for the suppliers reply.

Ta. P.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have had my bike for 18 months and I have never had the battery out. But the bike shop has had it out twice. You will not need to use that bolt whilst riding, not even in an emergency. You have captured the state of it and contacted the supplier. It is not economic for them or you to send the bike back from Cornwall to Germany. I expect that you will both be happy if they sent you a new bolt and agree to pay for the removal of the damaged one by your LBS.

So go ride your bike!

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Cheers all. May check her over a bit closer before I head out given the bolt and the routing of the front brake cable!

15912201991685600035785355895796.jpg

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Those bolts go through the downtube to the threaded sockets that hold the metal bar to the top of the downtube that holds the Tec Pack rail.

As Steve has said, you shouldn’t ever have need to remove them, and they aren’t unsafe, but as already said not a good thing to find on a brand new bike.

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
After a long wait new bike arrived today from bike discount.de and I noticed this straight away. Guessing rounded allen bolt may be something to
Spreaders - can I ask what bike and how long did Bike-discount take to deliver..... I was on their web site this afternoon and was just about to buy....but then thought NO, and went to Rutland... think there was 250 quid in it but thought English was worth it?? Spooky you posted this today!!

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Odd cable routing may be due to continental convention of front brake on left (since your bike came from Germany). I’m in Switzerland so I always swop mine to U.K. positions because I’m used to it and don’t want to grab a handful of “back“ brake only to send myself over the front! Fortunately, most brakes are easy to swop over. As bikes over here are set up continental way, sometimes the cable routing is not ideal. With hydraulic lines, it doesn’t matter too much, just looks illogical and odd. I find it strange that all motorbikes have front brake on right, so it must be confusing to those on the continent who ride both motorbikes and bikes as the lever on the right does different things depending on what they are riding. I know that on bikes over here, right hand back brake is set up because we drive on the right, but I’ve never had a problem with my brakes “the wrong way around” for being in the right hand side of the road.

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Reply to Flog, sorry didn't quite so edit to state.

Short answer, the way I feel today you deffo did the right thing. Although even at the time I would have happily have purchased within an hour or two drive and possibly even anywhere in the UK for a £250 premium.

Long rant why below!

They do set out covid delays info on their website so can't make too much of a fuss about timings but they really are taking every bit of the maximum advised time at the moment. My bike ordered after safe delivery of wife's (Focus Thron²). Both in stock and each took around 3 weeks to build before dispatch, then nearly two weeks from dispatch to arrival.

They also took 5 working days to reply to my last two e-mails. I don't want to ride mine whilst I wait a week to see how they react as if they insist on a return or are at all awkward about the rounded bolt it's going back and it has to be new and as supplied for me to be able to do that.

So whilst I have what was a well priced Focus Jam² (steps - carbon - tec pack) I dont have a bike I can ride 5 weeks after it was paid for and I have to keep looking at it.

Hope your purchase goes smoothly and you are out riding soon. ?

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Odd cable routing may be due to continental convention of front brake on left (since your bike came from Germany). I’m in Switzerland so I always swop mine to U.K. positions because I’m used to it and don’t want to grab a handful of “back“ brake only to send myself over the front! Fortunately, most brakes are easy to swop over. As bikes over here are set up continental way, sometimes the cable routing is not ideal. With hydraulic lines, it doesn’t matter too much, just looks illogical and odd. I find it strange that all motorbikes have front brake on right, so it must be confusing to those on the continent who ride both motorbikes and bikes as the lever on the right does different things depending on what they are riding. I know that on bikes over here, right hand back brake is set up because we drive on the right, but I’ve never had a problem with my brakes “the wrong way around” for being in the right hand side of the road.

Agree, could have been someone set up with levers Euro style then someone else hurriedly swapped em but didn't notice poor routing. Was an easy fix, took 2 mins just a funny way to send a bike out.

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
My bike ordered after safe delivery of wife's (Focus Thron²). Both in stock and each took around 3 weeks to build before dispatch, then nearly two weeks from dispatch to arrival.

So do I take it your beloved has the Thron and you the Jam?? Thats what I've just bought the Thron. I got the Jam 4 weeks ago and my wife, although very very fit and runs and rides with "no aids" borrowed a few times and said great fun...so Thron purchased! How do you find the Thron?

On the Discount web site - it does mention the brakes are EU regs rather than UK so as Swissrider said left over right?

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
So do I take it your beloved has the Thron and you the Jam?? Thats what I've just bought the Thron. I got the Jam 4 weeks ago and my wife, although very very fit and runs and rides with "no aids" borrowed a few times and said great fun...so Thron purchased! How do you find the Thron?

On the Discount web site - it does mention the brakes are EU regs rather than UK so as Swissrider said left over right?

Yep, ordered Thron² for Mrs Spreaders as she had big knee rupture skiing in Jan so great way of building strength and getting out without worry of making it up tough climbs or getting home. I have ridden a few times and whilst it is too small for me I loved it. Would have happily got one myself but as I planned to use this bike to replace another 150mm travel bike (Bronson) went Jam².

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I would always buy from a LBS just for this reason.....even though sometimes there is a premium to be paid.
Support UK businesses ....exactly where are Focus bikes made....mine says “German engineered”. But not necessarily “made”. Taiwan possibly! If its china. Ohhhhhhhh:(

steviedsolve

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Wolverhampton
I have had my bike for 18 months and I have never had the battery out. But the bike shop has had it out twice. You will not need to use that bolt whilst riding, not even in an emergency. You have captured the state of it and contacted the supplier. It is not economic for them or you to send the bike back from Cornwall to Germany. I expect that you will both be happy if they sent you a new bolt and agree to pay for the removal of the damaged one by your LBS.

So go ride your bike!
^^^^^^This

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
....exactly where are Focus bikes made....mine says “German engineered”. But not necessarily “made”. Taiwan possibly! If its china. Ohhhhhhhh:(

Last time I looked Cloppenburg was in Germany. I guess things might have changed in the last 4 years since the article below was written. Certainly there are a lot of outsourced components on my Jam² which are non-German, so I guess they have covered their options with "German engineered". (One of the reason I went with Focus was because their bikes are made in Germany.)

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
I would always buy from a LBS just for this reason.....even though sometimes there is a premium to be paid.
Support UK businesses ....exactly where are Focus bikes made....mine says “German engineered”. But not necessarily “made”. Taiwan possibly! If its china. Ohhhhhhhh:(

I agree with the buying local even if you cannot get quite the same deal. LBS are a great resource and do all I can to support but similar spec bike was quoted £5200 and I paid £3400. Would not want to own/ride the bikes available locally within my budget for this purchase. Also as the nearest approved service centre is about 1hr 45 away its not just a few quid more for local loyalty massively improved convenience.

Bikes are all assembled in Germany but like every other manufacturer in the industry parts are sourced from all over so can't really see what's different.

At the base of all this the issue I have is minor, and may well be resolved easily when I do get a response. The current extended delay with comms is something I hadn't expected to cause a problem before I even got to ride the bike and may well be something others should consider.

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Another strange thing for the supplying dealer to do.

My cable is routed behind my fork like that, but I’m running a Manitou reverse arch fork.

Lol did you buy from Halfords..

Loosen the stem enough to turn fork 180 ° re-tighten stem clamp bolts.

Battery bolt won't be a problem to remove when required to fit new bolt.
As said go ride it

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
May be getting well off thread now, but got to agree with Speaders.
6.7 Jam £3999 I went on web and found at the other end of the country (so could have been abroad!) 6.8 for £3400.
I did speak with LBS to see if he could match, hell no, but then asked politely if I could use for servicing and stuff and he said absolutely, why not?
Staying local and supporting local and actually makes sense as it is local for you does work and I support.... but all has a ceiling limit financially.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Lol did you buy from Halfords..

Loosen the stem enough to turn fork 180 ° re-tighten stem clamp bolts.

Battery bolt won't be a problem to remove when required to fit new bolt.
As said go ride it

Not sure if you meant to quote me?

But anyway, he needs to rotate the fork 360 degrees, 180 wouldn’t be good!

Greener

May 16, 2020
Dorset, UK
I‘m waiting for my Thron 6.7 from bike- discount.de. Its been 3 weeks since I ordered (2 actually - one for wife). Hoping they dispatch soon, but I’m being patient because the saving on the same bike in the UK is over £1,000 per bike! I like to support my LBS for spares, servicing, tyres, clothing etc, but if I’d bought in the UK it would have been a much lower spec.

discount-bike have a strange pricing policy as the bikes change price almost daily. The Thron 6.7’s went up to full retail within a few days of my order and they are now back down to 13% off. I got 25% off, so must have got in at the sweet spot. I was originally going for a Thron 6.9 as much better spec, but all medium stock sold overnight before I could get my order in. that bike is now over £1,500 more than the 6.7, so that gives plenty of scope for upgrading.

Regarding buying from Germany, my son has bought 2 bikes from Canyon. Despite a longish wait, he had no issues and the bikes, which are very well specced, are exceptional value.

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Fed up with no reply from bike discount.de to my e-mail query of last Wednesday I had another go on the phone today.

Got through fairly easily this time. Straight out they apologised for lack of response to the e-mail and offered to order and send replacement part in the post or arrange courier to collect the bike for refund if I was unhappy.

Now looking for any experienced opinions on how to successfully remove totally foobarred allen bolt on downtube.

Assured by their reply I finally fitted some pedals and had my first hour and a half blast. Having only ridden Mrs S Thron² before I don't have tons to compare in the e-mtb world but the Jam rides very well compared against that and my non e bikes.

Noticed the extra torque of the Bosch on her Thron but only on the toughest of climbs. Could that be a difference in the support levels of trail on the Shimano and EMTB on the Bosch?

Certainly feel the difference between the 4 pot Magura brakes on the front and the 2 pot on the rear, I have to ask why for just a few euro difference not put 4 pot on each end.

I prefer my slx 11 to the base SRAM 12 on the Thron, ability to push through more than one cog at a time and feels smoother.

Rockshox 35 gold on the Jam feels up to the job if not fantastic, however I am now 50 and don't bounce very well so it's not going to be pushed too hard.

2.8 balloon tyres not the end of the world for me as I have miles of grassy/sandy dunes trails from my door but may not suit others. In any event I will probably swap them out for 2.5's when I set her up tubeless. Front fork is 29er so could go mullet when I do the inevitable wheel upgrade later.

For anyone interested the same spec Jam² special edition back in stock on their website today at same claimed 30% odd discount (works out slightly more than I paid, guessing exchange rate fluctuation). If I had a bigger budget for this purchase I may well have gone with a different bike but seems to me this is a reasonably specced decent bike for the money and having finally got through to them, can't fault the response from bike discount.de.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles