Anyone has tried to upgrade the rear disc/rotor brake to 203 on the RISE? How about the speed sensor magnet?

Wild-Fins

Sep 24, 2021
SoCal
Anyone has tried to upgrade rear disc/rotor brake to 203?
How about the speed sensor magnet on the rotor?
Which Shimano part number to buy and how to get it installed?

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Yup. Used on one these on my Rise. Just removed the centrelock with the right tool and straight swap with the right adaptor for the caliper.

Screenshot_20211230-085239_Gallery.jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Yup. Used on one these on my Rise. Just removed the centrelock with the right tool and straight swap with the right adaptor for the caliper.

Hold your horses, Hoss!
Are you telling me that some centerlocks are merely six-bolt rotors with the splined piece riveted on? How could I have not known that? Last month I bought some new six-bolt rotors for a project, when I have a whole stash of centerlock rotors.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
Do you have 6 bolt or center lock disc? On the 6 bolt you can just take the magnet off the 180 disc and put it on the 203 disc.

I would love info on this too. Still awaiting delivery of the bike and a wheel swap is in the first wave of upgrades. I already have wheels with 6 bolt and 203 ice tech rotors waiting.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
Hold your horses, Hoss!
Are you telling me that some centerlocks are merely six-bolt rotors with the splined piece riveted on? How could I have not known that? Last month I bought some new six-bolt rotors for a project, when I have a whole stash of centerlock rotors.

i think he meant that you could take the magnet of the centerlocks and that the mounting holes would like up with the bolt holes on 6 bolt.....at least thats what i am hoping he meant.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
I use these Rotors on the rear and they work just fine - JagWire LR2-E. I use the 203mm version which has a part number of (DCR093) center lock. Available in 6-bolt as well (DCR083) - Usually costs around 85$ USD and are in stock in most places.

If one is gonna upgrade the rear rotor, be a good idea to pick up a SHIMANO SM-MA-F203-P/PM adapter as well (180mm -> 203mm)

-
Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 10.48.43 AM.png

DCR080.jpg

Last edited:

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Do you have 6 bolt or center lock disc? On the 6 bolt you can just take the magnet off the 180 disc and put it on the 203 disc.
My M20 is a centrelock with a bonded on magnet however with the shortage of parts, it might be better off waiting until your bike turns up as things might get swapped out depending on what's available.

Wild-Fins

Sep 24, 2021
SoCal
Thank you all, I am still awaiting my H30 that's still somewhere in the build assembly... not too sure if the rotor is a 6-bolt or centerlock setup but it sounds like that I can just either buy a rotor with an integrated magnet like the Jagwire LR2-E (6-Bolt / CL) or Shimano RT-EM900 (CL).

Reading somewhere on this forum that the Bosh / Trek magnet holders would work as well:

The simplest option might be just to glue a small piece of Neodymium magnet on any regular rotor to make it work - in size 10mmx3mm or 12mmx2mm (?) - that can be found on eBay as well...

Wild-Fins

Sep 24, 2021
SoCal
For the rear upgrade from 180 to 203mm, is SHIMANO SM-MA-F203-P/PM the correct adapter? I read somewhere that this Post Mount adapter is also used for the Front upgrade as well. Can somebody confirm?

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
For the rear upgrade from 180 to 203mm, is SHIMANO SM-MA-F203-P/PM the correct adapter? I read somewhere that this Post Mount adapter is also used for the Front upgrade as well. Can somebody confirm?
I can confirm that is correct for the front upgrade to 203, that's what I have on mine. Haven't done the rear yet but it should be the same adapter.

Feb 21, 2022
Los Angeles
Thank you all, I am still awaiting my H30 that's still somewhere in the build assembly... not too sure if the rotor is a 6-bolt or centerlock setup but it sounds like that I can just either buy a rotor with an integrated magnet like the Jagwire LR2-E (6-Bolt / CL) or Shimano RT-EM900 (CL).

Reading somewhere on this forum that the Bosh / Trek magnet holders would work as well:

The simplest option might be just to glue a small piece of Neodymium magnet on any regular rotor to make it work - in size 10mmx3mm or 12mmx2mm (?) - that can be found on eBay as well...

I can confirm that the Trek sensor does not work consistently as it is not long enough in that the magnet is not far away enough from the bolts and is almost in between the bolts. The center of the magnet to center of hub for the OEM 180 steps specific Shimano rotor was 30mm. It works sometimes but then doesn’t offer enough power or will just sputter and stop delivering power however it won’t flash dual red LEDS like when the sensor is missing completely.

I am unable to obtain Orbea’s specific magnet as their inventory is low everywhere and they do not have many dealers in the US.

I have ordered the Bosch slimline magnet online as it is the most similar to the Orbea adaptor and hope it will work like OEM.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Temp hack until my 6-bolt magnet arrives. removed the magnet from the plastic that came stock then taped it on with packaging tape. Been holding up so far with 15km of single track.
IMG_2281.jpeg

Feb 21, 2022
Los Angeles
Curious on this magnet where does it overlap with the sensor? I noticed the OEM one is quite far from the sensor and doesn't go through the center of the sensor where it says Shimano, rather it overlaps with some of the rod that sticks out.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
So far playing with the magnet sensor...it detects at 30% all the way to the tip. My hack setup is about hits the 40-50% zone, and my Giant 6 bolt magnet hits 80% to the end. both works so far.

Feb 21, 2022
Los Angeles
So far playing with the magnet sensor...it detects at 30% all the way to the tip. My hack setup is about hits the 40-50% zone, and my Giant 6 bolt magnet hits 80% to the end. both works so far.
Thanks for the reply iJak. What do you mean by 30%? 30% of the length or 30% to dead center of the sensor?

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
what i mean by percentage of the sensor:
sensor where the wire is attached (closer to crank side) = 0%
sensor end tip without the wire (closer to the axle) = 100%

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
I uprated my M team to shimano ice 203 rotors 6 bolt
I just used the stock orbea magnet and works fine with the shimano rotors
I’m planning to do the exact same thing on my M10. Any chance you can post a picture of your rear rotor and the magnet? My only concern is because the stock Galfer rotor is completely flat, but the RT-86 Icetech rotors are contoured around the bolt mounting surface. Just want to see how the stock magnet sits on the rotor. Thanks in advance!

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
I answered my own question today. It works perfectly. I put one of those bolt lock tab things underneath the magnet to raise it up a little bit and it sits just right on the RT-86 rotor.

2AF28EE7-879C-4E44-97CA-3E704F8A382E.jpeg

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
For what it is worth and to add to the overall thread info...

I bought a H15 with the 203 mm upgraded front rotor (Shimano centrelock). After 6 months I concluded I needed more stopping power, particularly after changing to Magura brakes. I bought a 220mm disk for the front and repurposed the 203 m front disk to the rear. The front and rear disks were the identical model with the exception of the magnet which is screwed unto the 180mm disk spider via 2 small countersunk holes. I simply overlaid the disks and replicated the holes using (from memory) a 5mm bit followed by an 8mm bit part way through. Be very careful not to go all the way with the bigger bit. Worked perfectly and looks completely stock.

EDIT: Just to add, the caliper mount from the front transferred perfectly to the rear to space the caliper out, and I bought a new 180-220 magura mount for the front. Looking at the 180-220 adapter I "think" that any +40mm adapter would have worked on the front so I could probably have reused an old 160-200mm mount I have in the spares box (since the Fox fork has a minimum 180mm PM caliper fixing.)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles