Anyone fitted a Wolftooth dropper remote?

estiswe

May 2, 2020
Sweden
Hey guys,

I have a Sam2 6.7 that I'm very pleased with. However, I broke a tendon to my left thumb in a emtb crash and now i have a hard time extend it to use the original dropper remote which sits quite high on the bar. I'm looking at buying one from Wolftooth instead but can't decide which one to get since they have several mounting options. You could ether get one that mounts on the magura brakes, or a stand alone mount.

Wolf Tooth Components ReMote Light Action Remote

Have anyone fitted one to their bike and or have any suggestions?

Or if you suggest any other dropper remote, please feel free to write, Wolftooth maybe isn't that cost effective?

//Robert

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I just bought a PNW loam remote which is similar to the wolftooth. It was actually a toss up between the two and I only bought the PNW as it was $25 cheaper and I preferred the look and also the soft touch pad for when riding bare hands.

From the YouTube vids both are virtually the same to install. The wolftooth does have the bonus of being able to buy spare parts etc so that may sway you.

The swap over is easy unless you stuff it up like I did and have to drop the motor. The lever action is so much smoother and effortless compared to over the bar lever.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the PNW, One Up components remote and the Woolftooth and they are all really good and offer significant improvement over stock - the PNW is the best quality in terms of build quality IMO, but I like the lever position of the OneUp best. not a bad choice between any of them

This videos pretty good in describing them

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you have Shimano brakes, they now make an XTR lever which is a great bit of kit, and uniquely has a spring which keeps the lever in place irrespective of cable tension, but only works with with I-SPEC EV levers/mounts

SL-MT800-IL

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 08.37.16.png

estiswe

May 2, 2020
Sweden
Thanks for the replys! The PNW looks realy nice as well. Would you recomend fiting it together with the brake or stand alone on the bar?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I alway mount with the brakes as I like the cleaner look, and how I like the positioning of my lever means that if I use separate clamps I cant really get the dropper remote where I want it.

I like the edge of the lever to line up with the end of the grip, but I do run my brakes quite far inboard

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 08.42.07.png

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I've got the wolf tooth on the stand alone mount as there wasn't an integrated option for my brakes. Love it, really smooth action and I like the versatility of the bare end of the cable going into the lever letting me use the nipple end to the seat post.

Last edited:

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
This is the Wolftooth Light Action with mmx mount for SRAM brakes which may suite you as it needs less pressure to operate due to longer lever. Quality piece of kit.

20200425_191400.jpg

estiswe

May 2, 2020
Sweden
Thanks guys!

Just saw that PNW doesn't have a mount for my Magura brakes so I guess I'll have to take that in to consideration. Also, I have to research which one is easiest to instrall with my KS E30i Integra dropper. If I don't need to take the motor down etc that is a big bonus.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you need to replace the inner cable you can reuse the outer, meaning you dont have to drop/remove anything. Dropper posts use generic gear cables, some rotes come with them, some dont. Run a small bit of wet lube over the cable before installing, I have changed the post twice, and lever 4 times on my Vitus using the same outer cable.

Last edited:

estiswe

May 2, 2020
Sweden
If you need to replace the inner cable you can reuse the outer, meaning you dont have to drop/remove anything. Dropper posts use generic gear cables, some rotes come with them, some dont. Run a small bit of wet lube over the cable before installing, I have changed the post twice, and lever 4 times on my Vitus using the same outer cable.

Yes that's right, thanks! I guess I might even be able to use the old wire if I'm lucky?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I had to run the bar clamp as I only have the poverty spec guide T brakes. Had to move the brakes in half a cm to get a good feel. Also I only had to drop the motor because the outter cable got jammed inside the frame when I pulled the post out.

20200503_191306.jpg

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
If your thumb is truly destroyed, why not go for the electric option, such as the Magura Vyron? It's a little strange to use at first because of the slight delay. Fitted it on my wife's bike because she has trouble using a traditional lever.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hey guys,

I have a Sam2 6.7 that I'm very pleased with. However, I broke a tendon to my left thumb in a emtb crash and now i have a hard time extend it to use the original dropper remote which sits quite high on the bar. I'm looking at buying one from Wolftooth instead but can't decide which one to get since they have several mounting options. You could ether get one that mounts on the magura brakes, or a stand alone mount.

Wolf Tooth Components ReMote Light Action Remote

Have anyone fitted one to their bike and or have any suggestions?

Or if you suggest any other dropper remote, please feel free to write, Wolftooth maybe isn't that cost effective?

//Robert

High Rock Ruti

Good Morning Robert

I have a bad knuckle joint in my left thumb too. I had the wolfstooth long throw (greater leverage) installed. I'm not sure I would install the long throw again actuation is a little vague and throw is really long but incredibly easy to move. However the rail 9.8 allowed me to specify AXS dropper, (there down to a mere $600 now), it works better than any dropper post I've ever used, by far. I'd love to try the AXS derailleur, but at $700 and my penchant for breaking derailleurs I'll stick with the $100 variety.

Warm Regards

Ruti

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Darn this forum! :)

I never knew I needed a Wolftooth dropper lever until now. Just ordered myself one that integrates with my Magura MT lever.

In fairness, the one that came on my Jam 2 is pants, and an ergonomic disaster, I was only thinking yesterday on a ride that I need to find a solution for a lever that more often than not also has me changing assist mode inadvertently every time I try to use it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Darn this forum! :)

I never knew I needed a Wolftooth dropper lever until now. Just ordered myself one that integrates with my Magura MT lever.

In fairness, the one that came on my Jam 2 is pants, and an ergonomic disaster, I was only thinking yesterday on a ride that I need to find a solution for a lever that more often than not also has me changing assist mode inadvertently every time I try to use it.
Now you have done that you probably need to go and get yourself a Magura Shiftmix so you can mount the shifter to your brakes too ;)

magura shiftmix

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I swapped mine to a brake mounted wolftooth and also swapped the e8000 shifter to a e7000. So much easier to use now looks loads clean

High Rock Ruti

Yes I also changed out the power switch however I have a button in between the power buttons that scrolls through the functions on the display which is super convenient for getting to remaining mileage screen.

View attachment 30287

estiswe

May 2, 2020
Sweden
I swapped mine to a brake mounted wolftooth and also swapped the e8000 shifter to a e7000. So much easier to use now looks loads cleaner

That looks really neat! I'm planning on doing the exact same thing and swap the e8000 for the much nicer e7000 :D

Now you have done that you probably need to go and get yourself a Magura Shiftmix so you can mount the shifter to your brakes too ;)

magura shiftmix

Damn you! Now I have to order that as well :ROFLMAO:

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I have Maguras and ran a Wolftooth but I found the matchmaker system a bit awkward as the position of the lever is fixed to the angle of the brake lever. The reach was a bit far for my thumb. Srams system is much better.

I now run a Funn remote. It's lower and not as far of a reach. Mounts to the brake using the Magura adaptors. Here's a pic I googled showing the lever

p4pb17234217.jpg

estiswe

May 2, 2020
Sweden
I have Maguras and ran a Wolftooth but I found the matchmaker system a bit awkward as the position of the lever is fixed to the angle of the brake lever. The reach was a bit far for my thumb. Srams system is much better.

I now run a Funn remote. It's lower and not as far of a reach. Mounts to the brake using the Magura adaptors. Here's a pic I googled showing the lever

Nice! The Magura adaptors you talk about, is it the Magura Shiftmix that were linked earlier or something else?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Fitted mine this evening! Had a bit of a wrestle with the outer cable and ended up running a new inner, but it’s in and so much more useable than the piece of junk that was fitted before.

Makes the E6000 controller look a bit ugly now though, E7000 switch next I guess!

99E89A82-7383-4672-A343-0301920B8469.jpeg

estiswe

May 2, 2020
Sweden
Thanks for all the replies, really a helpful forum :D I've ordered the Woolftooth Light Action with Magura mount and also the e7000 remote, I hope it will fit my needs!

Last edited:

estiswe

May 2, 2020
Sweden
Done and done!

The new Lever is in place together with the new e7000 remote. Way better setup than before :D Unfortunately the 40 cm version of the remote was to short so I couldn't pull the wire through the handlebar. I've ordered the 70 cm version to so I'll change it when it arrives, but for now I just run it externally. Thanks guys for all your tips and suggestions (y):cool:

99094644_533992997482112_5588745744887578624_n.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Done and done!

The new Lever is in place together with the new e7000 remote. Way better setup than before :D Unfortunately the 40 cm version of the remote was to short so I couldn't pull the wire through the handlebar. I've ordered the 70 cm version to so I'll change it when it arrives, but for now I just run it externally. Thanks guys for all your tips and suggestions (y):cool:

View attachment 31810
All you need to do now is get rid of the display :cool:

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 10.18.29.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles