Anyone ever 2.8 to 2.6

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Anyone ever changed out the 2.8’s for 2.6’s on the 2018 Levo ?
yes changed last month to 2.6"magic marys downhill. No problems with size etc. Which Tyre manufacturer to use is down to personal choice/terrain. They are very stable in mud and slippery conditions with gritstone surfaces in the Peak District conditions

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Anyone ever changed out the 2.8’s for 2.6’s on the 2018 Levo ?

I'm considering a set of Eliminators (2.6) as they are now available here in Australia. Bit better rolling than the Butcher 2.8's but still really good for our conditions over summer. Just hoping that bottom bracket height isn't reduced too much.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
On my Kenevo I went from 2.8 Butchers to 2.6 Magic Marys. It’s not that much of a difference. Butcher 2.6s are like 2.475s.
For what’s its worth the Magic Marys feel slow to me.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I'm considering a set of Eliminators (2.6) as they are now available here in Australia. Bit better rolling than the Butcher 2.8's but still really good for our conditions over summer. Just hoping that bottom bracket height isn't reduced too much.
Going by one of the charts I found online, it will lower the bike by 5mm.
I find there are tougher casings available in the 2.6 range as opposed to 2.8’s.
Maxxis does EXO+ in 2.6, and Spesh do the black Dimond in 2.6.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Going by one of the charts I found online, it will lower the bike by 5mm.
I find there are tougher casings available in the 2.6 range as opposed to 2.8’s.
Maxxis does EXO+ in 2.6, and Spesh do the black Dimond in 2.6.
They do 2.8 BLK DMND too, but they are are 1200g tires. My range went down about 8 miles using those heavy tires.

ohm13

Jun 10, 2018
Seattle
I put a 2.5 High Roller II EXO and 2.5 Aggressor EXO on my 2018 Levo and I'm loving it. the stock 2.8's felt too big for me. 2.5 with 39mm inner rim width is solid, tons of traction but no longer feels like a "fat bike", more like a regular mt bike. also I noticed the 2019's are coming stock with 2.6 so they apparently realised 3.0 or 2.8 is too much tire for most riders.....

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
After owning a 2018 levo with 2.8’s and moving to a 2019 Kenevo Comp with 2.6’s they make the bike feel much more like a “regular” mountain bike and the handling is a little sharper. The 2.8 butchers feel like they don’t have enough tread for the size of the tyre and on certain surfaces are very skatey even with low pressures.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Are you guys changing to a 30mm rim or just running the standard wheels?
I’ve got 40mm rims and think really need 30mm to go from 2.8 to 2.6.
I’ll have to try one and look at the shape of it.

leverleg

Sep 16, 2018
britain

I stuck a Maxxis Minion dhf 2.6 on the front of mine yesterday on 40mm rims. I was surprised how much narrower 2.6 looks compared to 2.8 but looks sound. Had a ride on it today felt good, defo an improvement from nobby nic 2.8.

I was worried about the 2.6 on a 40 rim but wanted to try the narrower tyre and the price difference between 2.6 and 2.8 swung my decision (20£ diff). Glad I did now.

ohm13

Jun 10, 2018
Seattle

I'm running stock Spesh wheels (39mm inner by their measurements) with Maxxis EXO 2.5. tried to take pic but hard to capture but suffice to say; rim is def. not too wide. It makes for a ripping ride. For me at least it's perfect. I live in Seattle and ride lots of techy rocky, rooty narrow trails btw....

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I'm running stock Spesh wheels (39mm inner by their measurements) with Maxxis EXO 2.5. tried to take pic but hard to capture but suffice to say; rim is def. not too wide. It makes for a ripping ride. For me at least it's perfect. I live in Seattle and ride lots of techy rocky, rooty narrow trails btw....
I thought the Spesh rims were 38mm internal.
Anyways, i’ll Put some 2.6’s on soon.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Just tried a DHF 2.5 on the front of my Focus Jam, steering seems quicker and a lot better in the mud, on a 40mm rim a my Rekon was 69mm the DHF is about 64.5 but I lost about 4mm in height.
It does look a lot smaller though.

Might get a 30mm wheelset and have 2.6 winter / 2.8 summer setups.

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Note that Maxxis is releasing DHF, DHR 2.6 in their Exo + casing for 2019 (also same for 2.8's). That might be the ticket for maxxis fans as I have always found their normal Exo tires too easy to puncture and flat.

Personally, I have gone to a 2.6 WTB trail boss in the rear, other than a flat last ride, I like the tread and shape on 37mm rims. It doesn't feel/look much narrower than the stock 2.8 butcher, but does run lower volume. I think 2.6's are the ticket for more precise feel, and I will be transitioning to something on the front when I wear down the butcher a bit more. Just not sure if I want to stick with WTB or go back to Maxxis with their newer stuff.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Note that Maxxis is releasing DHF, DHR 2.6 in their Exo + casing for 2019 (also same for 2.8's). That might be the ticket for maxxis fans as I have always found their normal Exo tires too easy to puncture and flat.

Personally, I have gone to a 2.6 WTB trail boss in the rear, other than a flat last ride, I like the tread and shape on 37mm rims. It doesn't feel/look much narrower than the stock 2.8 butcher, but does run lower volume. I think 2.6's are the ticket for more precise feel, and I will be transitioning to something on the front when I wear down the butcher a bit more. Just not sure if I want to stick with WTB or go back to Maxxis with their newer stuff.
Yeah the EXO + would be the ticket on the rear.
I’m thinking the new Spesh Eliminator’s both ends in 2.6 with grid case front and black Dimond rear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles