Anyone else get called a cheat??

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
Do you ride a Bosch?
I have had a Shimano, and a Bosch, and basically don't notice any difference over 25Kmh. The difference is so minimal it doesn't really count in my opinion.

Yes, I have a Bosch Performance CX. I think the lag at 25km/h is very noticeable on roads as much as even making my forks dive a little, less so on trails.

However, I love eMTBing so much that I'm ok putting up with it. I don't know how Bosch compares to other motors for lag, but from what I've read, it's very laggy compared to e.g. Brose.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I've had a couple stopped out of breath on a popular steep hill in my area say I was "cheating" and I said, "no I changed the game" and they got a chuckle. Most people say something like that in jest and deep down they're simple jealous if you ask me. All good, doesn't bother me. I firmly believe eMTB's are the future and for those who can afford them will buy them and the rest will wait until prices drop substantially.
I like the "No, we changed the game" quip.
Can't wait to use it ?

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
A guy pulled up alongside me this morning and said “Cheater!”. I said “I’m 61 years old with joint problems” but he just laughed and told me he was on a Turbo Levo. That bike is stealthy!

I found it interesting that he was on a size large; standing next to him he looked about 6’3” tall with average proportions but the bike still looked like a good fit.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Cannot be bothered to respond to being called an cheater. Those people are not even close to me caring about their opinion. Few times they said something to me was probably out of frustration that I was climbing faster then they were lol. Made me smile :)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I get the same comments even at home when I use pancake mix or make a pie using puff pastry from a packet ?
The worst abuse i get however is when using the microwave to make ready meals.

I’ve got plenty of wise quips to use when out on the trails but it’s in the kitchen that I’m a bit lost for words.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
A photographer who uses editing software got the same response, "oh, you altered that photo (cheated)". His answer is "just say yes". The accusers will argue with anything else we say but "yes" just stops them cold because they can't argue with it.
YES!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I often pre-empt any cries of cheating by calling out “Milkfloat coming through” or “Excuse me, I’m cheating”. Never fails to raise a laugh and usually results in a friendly chat. I don’t force my way past non-eeb riders on climbs and if it’s a technical one specifically tell them that I’ll wait for a better place to pass so as not to put them off.
In my experience, if you don’t behave like a twat you almost never get treated like one.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
? “put those flappy things away you big cheater”

C078282B-C3C1-4CAE-8CB7-140AAA20243B.jpeg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If it gets said, though with the increasing number of ebikes I see when I'm out, it's getting less often, I just reply 'and so much fun' which goes down well with other MTBers or walkers, the roadies don't seem to appreciate it for some reason. ?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
In my experience, if you don’t behave like a twat you almost never get treated like one.
Well, I was just slowly pootling along a paved cycling path with my wife one morning when an old man going for a walk said to me, “that’s cheating!” I mean, he was heading the opposite way for crying out loud!! ?

If it happens again I know what I’m gonna say....

SNITCH!?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
slowly pootling along a paved cycling path with my wife one morning when an old man going for a walk said to me, “that’s cheating!”
He could have meant that bringing your own hot lady along was cheating, when he'd been walking for 50 miles to try and find one.

Or from your description, he could have been walking for 40,000 miles and 50 years trying to find one, you're going to get a bit judgemental by then ..

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
He could have meant that bringing your own hot lady along was cheating, when he'd been walking for 50 miles to try and find one.

Or from your description, he could have been walking for 40,000 miles and 50 years trying to find one, you're going to get a bit judgemental by then ..
Zimm - Have you been on the horse hormone tablets again?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand

Interesting that you've equated 50 years = 40,000 miles?
Miles? Really? You make fun of my trusty Betamax video player but you're still using miles... and you live in France??!
Anyway, I digress...

Let's see... hmm... 40,000 miles that's 64,373,760 metres (now see how easy it is to convert Kms to Metres by just moving the decimal point?)
Say tall gentleman can equate 1 metre to one step and there's 365 days in a year... so that's 18250 days in 50 years...
Sooo... that's 3527 steps in one day...
Or 3.5 kms per 24 hours...
Gives a nominal speed of 147 kph non-stop with no rest, meal, toilet, shower breaks.

Pffft! No wonder he can't snag a partner... he's walking too fast! The dude needs to slow down... ?

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
saw an incredible ride report from cannock on a facebook group. the guy had some real grief from 'real mountain bikers' and they even blocked him from going past up the climb on one trail..

Probably same kind of persons as those whiny -female dog- that complain about their Strava segments being owned by emtb's. As if it was an official tournament

1590994913751.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles