Anyone else get called a cheat??

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
I have to admit that if I encounter someone struggling up a climb, I ease back and trundle along 20 metres behind, as I well know how it feels climbing unassisted and don't want to annoy anybody, but that's just me who's been through the whole MTB evolution from late 80's to the present day.

Charlie149

Mar 16, 2019
Glasgow
Me too - well early 90s anyway! I was usually the only girl in the group, and I was always last up the climbs. Everyone else would have had a nice rest and when I caught up, they’d say “ok, let’s go!!” ?? so I well appreciate what it is like to struggle up a climb with everyone else going faster!

idahoskiguy

May 16, 2018
Idaho USA
Yes, the unenlightened will occasionally blurt out the "cheating" comment and I just ignore them or smile and say "have a nice ride'. They are truly not worth engaging.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
If you want to wind them up just tell them “Strava is shit and inaccurate, and KOM’s ain’t wirth shit”
That really sets them off, and they try and explain how good Strava is.
You just larf and say whatever hero

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Not very busy around here. They'd probably wouldn't say anything. We'll soon find out FB_IMG_1553878151884.jpg

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Not had any comments, beyond the traditional greeting of 'bloody ebikes' from other ebikers :)

There's a lot of hate on the Internet for ebikes, but it doesn't seem to carry over to the woods, where everyone is too busy riding bikes.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I started off being chatty, but didn't get anything back other than the occasional grunt or wheeze, so generally I just cruise past on climbs and keep going. I've had three or four "Cheat" comments in six months, but I just ignore them now as I have my own ebike Strava segments to chase.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gotta expect odd comments one way or another.
"Cyclists" are hardly the most socially skilled group of people you're likely to meet.

I don't think jealousy comes into it at all. Just ignorance and opinion... the two together no matter what the subject tends to make most folk say twatty things.

Last edited:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
There's a cycling thread on another forum I use and I've read quite a few negative comments on there, one even put up a hilarious meme of someone who bought an ebike and went from being really fit to being overweight, oh how I laughed :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

I don't think it's jealousy as most claim to not see the point of them, oh well it's their loss :)

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I have to admit that if I encounter someone struggling up a climb, I ease back and trundle along 20 metres behind, as I well know how it feels climbing unassisted and don't want to annoy anybody, but that's just me who's been through the whole MTB evolution from late 80's to the present day.

When stuck behind a struggling biker trying to make it up A climb - I try to do the same...( there will always be Jerks around..) but nine times out of ten, if you show respect, and wait patiently for the strugling rider to catch his breath when the climb flattens out a bit, he will gladly give way and let you pass, and even thank you for waiting.. and i always make a point of greeting them and thanking them.. its just common courtesy. and wins hearts, and minds..
i know only too well, what it feels like to always be the last up the hill, and have riders behind me grunting remarks and tying to pass me precariously!
Tim

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
When stuck behind a struggling biker trying to make it up A climb - I try to do the same...( there will always be Jerks around..) but nine times out of ten, if you show respect, and wait patiently for the strugling rider to catch his breath when the climb flattens out a bit, he will gladly give way and let you pass, and even thank you for waiting.. and i always make a point of greeting them and thanking them.. its just common courtesy. and wins hearts, and minds..
i know only too well, what it feels like to always be the last up the hill, and have riders behind me grunting remarks and tying to pass me precariously!
Tim

So we shouldn't just reach across and give them a push?

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
So we shouldn't just reach across and give them a push?

push them up the hill or push them over...... :D

Gordon

p.s. very fortunate that I don't seem to have the same issues where I ride. Lots of eBikes on the trails and lots of interest from acoustic riders. Only time I have heard it was in jest with a side order of envy.

Gordon

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Once got called a cheat by a horse rider. Srsly...

One horsepower is the ability to lift 550 pounds weight the vertical distance of one foot in one second. That is the equivalent of 746 watts. So they have three times as much power at their beck and call as we do. And they call us cheats! :eek:

By the way, the horsepower was used (by James Watt I believe) to convince (water/wind) mill owners that a steam engine was the equivalent to so many horses (they knew how much a horse cost to buy and keep). Whether his "horsepower" was actually the same as the typical horse at that time I have no idea. Modern horses we see being ridden about are probably a lot better looked after, bigger, and stronger than the ill-fed ones used in pre-Victorian times.

Reactions: njn

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
"In Canada the same rules apply for mtb and emtb, I think. Parity, equal rights, and obviously hockey rules. Keep your elbows up in the corners"

That made me laugh....

Reality is, by the time they finish their sentence, and I think of a witty reply, I'm already too far ahead and I am only mumbling to myself

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
Yesterday made a little trip into the woods, there were only 15 to 20 other mtb riders. At least 10 looked at me and almost shaked their heads. Are you sick or lazy?thats how they looked at me.Here in Holland it's a real big no, those EMTB.
But I smile and love it.??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles