Anyone else get called a cheat??

Charlie149

Mar 16, 2019
Glasgow
I bought an e-mtb for a few reasons - to get out on my bike again after a long period of absence (and corresponding loss of fitness), to be able to keep up with my husband, to go further and faster and to love mountain biking again! Twice in one day last week I was accused of being a cheat when people realised I was riding an emtb. I tried to explain why I ride electric but just got the “nah nah nah, it’s just cheating!”response. Anyone else get this? How do you respond?

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
First thing to do is disregard anyone who comments like that. Secondly just ride on and enjoy.
You know why, you know it’s fun, you know you aren’t damaging the trails, and when you own an eMtb you know the opinions of others do not matter. If not, you’ll go mad, or end up in the clink, for trying to beat the stupid out of someone.
Ride on and enjoy.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Just ignore them and don't bother trying to explain why you ride one as you just don't need to, it has nothing to do with anyone else what you choose to do and you don't have to justify it, these people are so tedious!

I have only recently got an ebike after my wife kept telling me to get one but I did resist for ages but now wish I hadn't, so I did get one and I absolutely love it! We do a lot of off road biking and there is no doubt an ebike is so much more involving on the trails, so much so that my neighbour who comes out with us a lot and who is a very good biker and would never have contemplated an ebike has just got himself a new Cube and he just can't believe how much more he loves biking now, so just ignore them and don't respond, why should you, just enjoy your life and getting out there with your husband as above all it's great FUN :)

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Luckily here in Denmark emtb’s are still uncommon and people around me a mainly wondering how that “fat old guy” can be so fast up the hills :ROFLMAO:

When I explain the Levo to them they want one themselves. Never heard a negative word here.

Karsten

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Nohing wrong with being a cheetah

C6CD9EA2-3180-46D3-A1E5-6AAA48900DB6.jpeg

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
It's mainly down to ignorance, those types just assume the bike does all the work. Just ignore them, as mentioned it's pointless trying to explain the benefits to them :rolleyes:

I've tried several times over the years to get into biking, never lasted more than a few months, since getting an e-mtb it's completely different, so much more fun , I'm riding further than i ever would on a non ebike and I'm getting fitter as a result :)

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
I bought an e-mtb for a few reasons - to get out on my bike again after a long period of absence (and corresponding loss of fitness), to be able to keep up with my husband, to go further and faster and to love mountain biking again! Twice in one day last week I was accused of being a cheat when people realised I was riding an emtb. I tried to explain why I ride electric but just got the “nah nah nah, it’s just cheating!”response. Anyone else get this? How do you respond?
E-Bikes, they just do all the work for you - EMTB Forums :)

When I buy one if anyone even dares to try the "cheating" conversation they will either get ignored or receiving some suitably scathing response. :D

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
"whom, exactly?" is a quick answer..
Asking if they rode all the way to the trails and replying "cheat" if they drove is also quite good.
Telling them that walkers think they are cheating on their bikes sometimes causes them to think.
But basically, it's ignorance, jealousy, envy or sheer exhaustion that makes them say it. Smile and wave, smile and wave, and gently smirk to yourself as you breeze by.....
Essentially, being nice is the best response.

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
Hi, I agree with the “just ignore guys.” I have a really good excuse as a drunk driver mounted the pavement and took my legs out against a house 6 years ago and I can only bike now because of not being able to run. I just can’t be arsed to explain and carry on going. ?. These are the same dicks who encourage our trail centres to be testosterone over bearing haunts. But that’s another debate. Just smile inwardly and carry on.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just acknowledge their bizarre belated greeting by calling their name back loudly.

"Dick"

That's what they'd be called in my head anyway
;)

*TBF I tend to say hello to everyone I meet on a trail so don't actually come across too many dicks being vocally dickish. A bit of friendly banter and light piss taking is all cool though.

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
A friend of mine kicked off about e-bikes being cheating a few days ago. What it boiled down to IMO, was KoM on Strava (first world problems huh?) He is a serious downhill and road racer and competes all over the place, when he's not healing a broken something or other. He can't understand that some of us enjoy getting out by whatever means without being fanatical and having to be built like a racing snake and live on whey powder and lettuce leaves. Unfortunately, they're about in every hobby/pastime, call it what you will.

Next time, just say "when you have as much money as I have, I can ride what I like" and ride off. There is no reply hahaha.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I tend to say hello to everyone I meet on a trail so don't actually come across too many dicks being vocally dickish. A bit of friendly banter and light piss taking is all cool though.
I also say hello to everyone, even singlespeeders, and haven't heard a "Cheat!" for ages, get lots of "Give us tow" though.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Got blanked by a Peebles Cycle Club rider all club lycra'd up and gravel biking like a champ down the black XC climb at Inners yesterday just as I was about to ride up it.
Zero eye contact the lot.
Dicks come in all shapes and forms.

I was riding my 4X hardtail (not an Ebike).

Charlie149

Mar 16, 2019
Glasgow
A friend of mine kicked off about e-bikes being cheating a few days ago. What it boiled down to IMO, was KoM on Strava (first world problems huh?) He is a serious downhill and road racer and competes all over the place, when he's not healing a broken something or other. He can't understand that some of us enjoy getting out by whatever means without being fanatical and having to be built like a racing snake and live on whey powder and lettuce leaves. Unfortunately, they're about in every hobby/pastime, call it what you will.

Next time, just say "when you have as much money as I have, I can ride what I like" and ride off. There is no reply hahaha.
But we can’t compete for KoMs on Strava if we register that we’re riding an ebike! There aren’t even any segments! So I can’t think why that would be worrying him ?

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
But we can’t compete for KoMs on Strava if we register that we’re riding an ebike! There aren’t even any segments! So I can’t think why that would be worrying him ?

problem is not everyone does declare rides as e-bike or make them private. Some KOMs are very obviously done on an e-bike and it winds people up. Would not bother me or make me hate on every e-bike I see but some people have issues!

Charlie149

Mar 16, 2019
Glasgow
problem is not everyone does declare rides as e-bike or make them private. Some KOMs are very obviously done on an e-bike and it winds people up. Would not bother me or make me hate on every e-bike I see but some people have issues!
Yeah I can see that would wind people up. But then some KoMs are achieved by cheating by whatever means and that will always be the case.

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Had my first one the other day when I passed a group of guys on a flat fire road section, which I normally go quickly on anyway as it's boring (and have done so faster in the past on clockwork bike!)

Just ignored them as I wasn't trying to beat/cheat anyone, just getting my ride done.

Charlie149

Mar 16, 2019
Glasgow
Is it just me, when i climb and i see a group in front of me, i just pedal lighter just not to be to loud with my shimano motor. they just stare at you. Some find it a no go.
I know what you mean, my motor is quite quiet but I wouldn’t go past in turbo mode!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Choose as appropriate to who they appear to be.

# Give me your age (usually between 20 and 40 years younger than me) and you can have this bike!
# I'll bet I'm having more fun than you!
# Don't you believe in using technological advancements?
# Isn't suspension cheating?
# Isn't your carbon framed super lightweight blingtastic bike cheating vs a budget model?
# if you are such a purist, why aren't you riding an old school rigid steel bike?
# It's this or I'd be walking!
# Did you drive here?

MrWid

Nov 2, 2018
Milton Keynes
I love it when someone pushing their bike uphill calls you a cheat.... "pushing is cheating" is my usual response.

But saying that, i've used my levo at some dh trails recently and most people are positive rather than mocking

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
I love it when someone pushing their bike uphill calls you a cheat.... "pushing is cheating" is my usual response.

But saying that, i've used my levo at some dh trails recently and most people are positive rather than mocking

Not over here in Holland. 9 out of 10 in negative about EMTB. Not only on the trails also on the forum.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles