Anyone else breaking spokes?

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I’ve broken 2 spokes on the stock spank 395 rear wheel in my last 4 rides. Anyone else experience this? Wondering if that wheel wind be long for the world.

Thanks.

Namrorrim

Apr 30, 2019
Australia
Two riding mates have a Meta power with spank wheels, one 5 months old with 1100km on it, neither have had spoke or any wheel problems.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Running 350 oozy's, 29", no issues even after having the chain run behind the tallest sprocket a couple of times...

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
I should add that both spokes I’ve broken at the nipple. Never had a spoke break that way before. Total PITA with tubeless.
Agreed, but no punctures in six months (after 10+ punctures in the preceding 6 months) means the payback has been worth it for me.

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
A stick got stuck in my rear derailleur and broke off 7 spokes in my rear Spank rear wheel on my Metapower, so not a fault of the wheel. All spokes were broken at the nipple.

After replacing the spokes with DT Competition ones and re-truing/tensioning, it has been fine...needed a new rear derailleur though. The 12sp SRAM Eagle NX rear derailleurs seem to have a lot of lateral play in them (when the wheel is removed) from Day 1, but doesn't seem to affect shifting on the trail. At least it was relatively cheap to replace.

Planning on going back 10 speed in the future...a medium cage derailleur is a lot shorter and less likely to get snagged.

DrChris

I’ve broken 2 spokes on the stock spank 395 rear wheel in my last 4 rides. Anyone else experience this? Wondering if that wheel wind be long for the world.

Thanks.
I

Thanks.

Reactions: njn

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
1200 miles, rear only slightly out of true, solid wheelset.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Well broke spoke #3 on the second ride since spoke #2 broke. We is getting rebuilt with some DT 14/15 spokes and brass nipples. Hopefully the butted spokes will be more durable for me. They have been in the past.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles