Anyone changed brakes?

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
My bike came with the 2 pot Deore brakes and I’ve decided to treat it to some Hope Tech 3 E4s.

Anyone done a rear brake change and did you have to remove the motor or did you manage to feed the the line through?

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
My bike came with the 2 pot Deore brakes and I’ve decided to treat it to some Hope Tech 3 E4s.

Anyone done a rear brake change and did you have to remove the motor or did you manage to feed the the line through?

Yes I put on Magura MT5's and yes I had to drop the motor to feed it around the bottom bracket area.

Phill_B_34

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
That's interesting/good to hear.
I'm looking to upgrade brakes and wasn't sure about the cable routing.
Is it a job you did yourself or sent it back to the shop for them to do?
Ta, Phil.

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
You can do it yourself but need someone to hold the motor. Undo the torx bolts, I think I just loosened the back two to let it pivot down. I removed the little cover on down tube that cables go in. Then ran the cable down the down tube above the motor and out the hole at rear of seat tube (same as it comes routed stock). Measure it up then put the motor back on.

It was too hard running it up the down tube and trying to get it out the little hole on side.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Changed, motor has to be lifted, which is a pain, crank arm off, chain ring off, chain guard off, all to get and one motor bolt.
I found just at the back to the motor the cables and brake hose were fastened by a tie wrap preventing the hose from being pulled through. Easy enough to do just a bit of a pain to take off.

+foomB0%S8mZ81b5mYnfvA.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Changed, motor has to be lifted, which is a pain, crank arm off, chain ring off, chain guard off, all to get and one motor bolt.
I found just at the back to the motor the cables and brake hose were fastened by a tie wrap preventing the hose from being pulled through. Easy enough to do just a bit of a pain to take off.

View attachment 11660
A good mechanic always cleans any machinery before dismantling it.:giggle:

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
I didn't need to take the crank off mine and have done it twice. Just have to loosen the chain guard enough to be able to get at that tricky screw.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
20191127_151905.jpg
To pull a new brake hose simply screw the Sram Rockshox Red Tool in both hose and push and pull gently. 5mn job. No need to drop motor nor battery. Cost 3€

Please clean your bike before any mechanics ! ?

Last edited:

Jamsquared

Nov 15, 2019
Rushden, UK

I have just fitted the same brakes. I had to drop the motor as there was a cable tie inside the frame above the motor/under the shock mount. The best way was to leave the rear lowest two bolts in, and lower the front against the frame. No need to unplug anything. Tapped the lever end of the hope hose on to the caliper end of the old hose and pulled it through gently that way. The fittings on a braided hose just go through the slot in the frame.
motor.jpg

SCemtb

May 22, 2019
Santa Cruz Ca
Upgraded to 2020 XT 8124m 4 piston calipers - huge improvement over 2018. Definitely one of best modes more stopping power and better modulation.

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne

View attachment 11660
Same. I've changed my standard fit magura's to Hope mini m4's. Mine have braided hoses so it was an additional faff as I had to loosen the battery off as well to get the hose through. Better brakes though, the standard magura mt4 on the back was rubbish. Bled it more than once and still couldn't get a good lever feel. And the fact the levers are plastic. Should be better spec on a £3k bike

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I've changed mine to shimano zee front and back, I didn't have to drop the motor though.
My bike came with the XT deore I-spec II brakes, double piston. I'm pretty confused looking at all the options and specs for I-spec and just looking to see if there are brakes that will work that are 4 piston, same straight-straight cables. The MT-520 looks like I could just buy the caliper and it would work although they generally don't come with resin pads like I currently use.

Are most 4 piston brakes larger tubing and different levers? Or is there one that might work with my stock levers and tubing? The M640 Zee I've also looked at that comes with the levers is I-spec type B...not type II like I have. Is there an adapter required. The Shimano compatibility charts are pretty confusing also since I don't know what to call these I-spec II levers for instance.

Did you just buy the m640 Zee calipers and they worked with the standard levers and lines? Thanks

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
My bike came with the XT deore I-spec II brakes, double piston. I'm pretty confused looking at all the options and specs for I-spec and just looking to see if there are brakes that will work that are 4 piston, same straight-straight cables. The MT-520 looks like I could just buy the caliper and it would work although they generally don't come with resin pads like I currently use.

Are most 4 piston brakes larger tubing and different levers? Or is there one that might work with my stock levers and tubing? The M640 Zee I've also looked at that comes with the levers is I-spec type B...not type II like I have. Is there an adapter required. The Shimano compatibility charts are pretty confusing also since I don't know what to call these I-spec II levers for instance.

Did you just buy the m640 Zee calipers and they worked with the standard levers and lines? Thanks

Hi, I'm definitely a newb regarding upgrading bike parts so sort of made it up as I went along...

I bought the lever and caliper kits so replaced all apart from the rotor, I got confused with what spec I needed, I did need to get an adaptor to mount it to the Shimano shifter I had on the bike, the rear is a direct mount to handlebar.

I'll try to find the specific part numbers if you want?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hi, I'm definitely a newb regarding upgrading bike parts so sort of made it up as I went along...

I bought the lever and caliper kits so replaced all apart from the rotor, I got confused with what spec I needed, I did need to get an adaptor to mount it to the Shimano shifter I had on the bike, the rear is a direct mount to handlebar.

I'll try to find the specific part numbers if you want?
I've been researching this today and found that I could buy at set of mt520 4 piston brake calipers front and back for $100. on ebay. They come with metallic pads, not my preference. The resin pads, D03S, cost about $40. for a set for front and back, long shipping time from Hong Kong for that price on the pads and they are more like $60. for a set locally. These calipers will work with my brake levers (m6000 I think) and tubing and will just require a bleed of course.

Others have had this modification with great success I've found and the levers (if I bought those with the mt520's) are I-spec II like I have on my focus. I'm using Rt66-6 203mm rotors front and back right now so those will work too although I'll put a fresh set on with the new calipers. I know these mt520's are probably not as good as the Dee's or XT's but might be a lot better than what I have. Although my bike came with the finned brake pads and you can't use the finned versions of the 4 cylinder pad without doing some grinding I'm told. Anyone else go this route?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles