Anyone changed brakes?

highpeakrider

Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
My bike came with the 2 pot Deore brakes and I’ve decided to treat it to some Hope Tech 3 E4s.

Anyone done a rear brake change and did you have to remove the motor or did you manage to feed the the line through?

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
Ride
Focus Jam
My bike came with the 2 pot Deore brakes and I’ve decided to treat it to some Hope Tech 3 E4s.

Anyone done a rear brake change and did you have to remove the motor or did you manage to feed the the line through?
Yes I put on Magura MT5's and yes I had to drop the motor to feed it around the bottom bracket area.

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
Ride
2018 Focus Jam2 29"
That's interesting/good to hear.
I'm looking to upgrade brakes and wasn't sure about the cable routing.
Is it a job you did yourself or sent it back to the shop for them to do?
Ta, Phil.

highpeakrider

Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I'm doing mine myself, i'll post some pics as I do it.
I was hoping to avoid motor removal, ah well....

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
Ride
Focus Jam
You can do it yourself but need someone to hold the motor. Undo the torx bolts, I think I just loosened the back two to let it pivot down. I removed the little cover on down tube that cables go in. Then ran the cable down the down tube above the motor and out the hole at rear of seat tube (same as it comes routed stock). Measure it up then put the motor back on.

It was too hard running it up the down tube and trying to get it out the little hole on side.

highpeakrider

Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Changed, motor has to be lifted, which is a pain, crank arm off, chain ring off, chain guard off, all to get and one motor bolt.
I found just at the back to the motor the cables and brake hose were fastened by a tie wrap preventing the hose from being pulled through. Easy enough to do just a bit of a pain to take off.

foomb0-s8mz81b5mynfva-jpg.11660

Peaky Rider

Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire
Ride
Jam2 6.9 Drifter
Changed, motor has to be lifted, which is a pain, crank arm off, chain ring off, chain guard off, all to get and one motor bolt.
I found just at the back to the motor the cables and brake hose were fastened by a tie wrap preventing the hose from being pulled through. Easy enough to do just a bit of a pain to take off.

View attachment 11660
A good mechanic always cleans any machinery before dismantling it.:giggle:

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
Ride
Focus Jam
I didn't need to take the crank off mine and have done it twice. Just have to loosen the chain guard enough to be able to get at that tricky screw.

Latest threads

Become a Patron!

Trending