Anyone carry a spare Bosch powerpack in rucksack?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Thinking about carrying spare powerpack 500wh in rucksack for longer trips and less range anxiety.

Good idea or will I regret the extra weight?
Only do road / firetrack riding on a hardtail

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Yeah man, I have a spare 500w fitted with a extension to make it the same length as my 625w battery. I was going to ride with it in my
camelbak, but not designed for carrying a battery, so stumped up big money and bought the Evoc e ride backpak which holds a 625w battery
and more important, safely with full back protection.

thanks very helpful. That’s just what I was thinking of doing, buying the Evoc ebike rucksack and carrying a spare 500wh powerpack in it. Quite pricey but probably worth the security and comfort

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Back protection and comfort was my big issue. The feel from the evoc mean i don't notice the weight of the battery, the straps are wider and
seem to spread the weight better than a camelbak. Plus the battery is very secure and the removal back protection is a must if you stuff it on a ride.

and I understand there is not a lot of weight difference between the 300, 400 and 500 so I’m guessing it would make sense to get a 500

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
I use the evoc pack also, carry a spare 625 on most rides and i also dont really notice the weight that much. I always carried a pack anyway, so kind of used to it, but i dont think twice about taking the battery. No more worries about range would be worth a slight discomfort for me anyway even if there was any.

Was going to buy a 500 as the spare, but as someone pointed out on here, when my 625 main runs out, i need to carry a 625 in the pack anyway.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Depending on the ride format , carrying the charger instead, can be an option. It´s lighter and less bulkier.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
With silly unhelpful stupid comments like this, i dislike forums. IM OUT
I think someone's having his period me thinks!
In Germany the Alpenverein (Alpine club) which operates most of the huts in the mountains here have officially said they will not charge ebike batteries.
Luckily most of the huts are leased and some owners choose to ignore the order from the parent organisation.

I have done several tours where one battery is not enough, and there is no place to charge on the way. so a secone battery is sometimes good.

I have also done a lot of days where I charged along the way.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
With silly unhelpful stupid comments like this, i dislike forums. IM OUT
Good thing too. We don’t need comments like this. To take a charger (much lighter and smaller than a spare battery) was a perfectly sensible suggestion - something I do from time to time. I’ve found all restaurants and cafes (Pre COVID) are happy to let one charge a battery whilst one has a coffee or a meal (depending on how much charge one needs). I‘m often the one planning the routes and will tell my friends if they need to bring their chargers with them.

Geeman

Nov 23, 2020
Uk
Good thing too. We don’t need comments like this. To take a charger (much lighter and smaller than a spare battery) was a perfectly sensible suggestion - something I do from time to time. I’ve found all restaurants and cafes (Pre COVID) are happy to let one charge a battery whilst one has a coffee or a meal (depending on how much charge one needs). I‘m often the one planning the routes and will tell my friends if they need to bring their chargers with them.
YAWN

Geeman

Nov 23, 2020
Uk
and I understand there is not a lot of weight difference between the 300, 400 and 500 so I’m guessing it would make sense to get a 500
The 500watt battery is the same weight as a 400watt, which makes no sense, but 600grams lighter than a 625watt battery. My bike rides so much better using the 500watt.

Geeman

Nov 23, 2020
Uk
The 500watt battery is the same weight as a 400watt, which makes no sense, but 600grams lighter than a 625watt battery. My bike rides so much better using the 500watt.
Plus, I never carry my fast 6amp charger with me, i cannot find a charging point at any trees on the moors or hills in west yorkshire ;-}

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles