Anyone bikepacking with Turbo Levo?

spiru

Nov 13, 2019
Spain
I like touring, bikepacking style, with my ht stumpjumper. So, now that I have a Levo with 700wh I am considering the idea of doing some e-bikepacking. Obviously I would have to arrange accommodation where I could recharge, instead of camping out.
I don't find much info about people traveling with Levos. Any of you is bikepacking on Levos?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Great question. As usual the EMBN guys have answers.

1573797704432.png

What about Scotland but wait until it's cold & wet :) I have to go there such a beautiful place.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@TheBikePilot did the coast to coast in June :

As you can see from the youtube thumbnail below, it was quite a learning curve. Once they'd worked out they were using the bikes upside down, they made much better progress.

Guy on the right : "How about we try turning them over" ??
Guy on the left :"Ha Ha ha, don't be ridiculous" ..

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
@TheBikePilot did the coast to coast in June :

As you can see from the youtube thumbnail below, it was quite a learning curve. Once they'd worked out they were using the bikes upside down, they made much better progress.

Guy on the right : "How about we try turning them over" ??
Guy on the left :"Ha Ha ha, don't be ridiculous" ..

Haha @Zimmerframe You crack me up!!

Reactions: 118

balbo

Jun 13, 2019
Bologna, Italy
I did several bike packing tours with my TL. The most challenging tour was the transardinia, where I crossed Sardinia from north to south in about a week. Obviously I never camped out but always in a b&b where I recharged the battery. Up to now I have faced these tours with only one 500wh battery because a second battery offers more disadvantages (more weight and charging time) than advantages. I've never emptied completely the battery even though I've been close to it :) with a 700wh battery I think the problem of running out of battery power is greatly reduced. These tours in Emtb were all beautiful experiences, with a mtb probably I would have been more in trouble and I would have had less fun.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I did several bike packing tours with my TL. The most challenging tour was the transardinia, where I crossed Sardinia from north to south in about a week. Obviously I never camped out but always in a b&b where I recharged the battery. Up to now I have faced these tours with only one 500wh battery because a second battery offers more disadvantages (more weight and charging time) than advantages. I've never emptied completely the battery even though I've been close to it :) with a 700wh battery I think the problem of running out of battery power is greatly reduced. These tours in Emtb were all beautiful experiences, with a mtb probably I would have been more in trouble and I would have had less fun.
Sounds like a great trip - was it easy to route find?

balbo

Jun 13, 2019
Bologna, Italy
Finding the route took some time. On the site that inspired the trip, the information was not up to date and the gpx tracks were hidden. Then, with a few Google searches, we were able to retrieve the gpx tracks
The northern part is very wild and isolated, in two stages we did not meet any person except those of the village of departure and arrival. Without gpx tracks I would probably still be in Sardinia :)

Every day we brought water and food with us because we didn't know if we would meet any shops on the way. On the evening of the penultimate day we risked not having dinner. In the village there was no restaurant and the only shop in the village was already closed :( luckily the owner of the b&b decided to cook 1kg of pasta for the three of us :)

spiru

Nov 13, 2019
Spain
What an exciting adventure. Do you have photos showing how you carry the luggage?

balbo

Jun 13, 2019
Bologna, Italy
What an exciting adventure. Do you have photos showing how you carry the luggage?

I have only a 30L backpack ( red backpack and orange T-shirt )
I was carrying with me:
2 T-shirt
2 underpants
2 pair of socks
2 shorts
1 jersey
1 thermal base layer
1 rain jacket
Battery charger
Power bank
Light and first aid kit
Water bag

For the 2020 tour I am planning to buy an handlebar bag and unload a bit my backpack

E71B8F74-186E-4D16-AA54-B3EF6EFC0240.jpeg

3E8E3B3C-FE0E-4033-A582-1BCAEF9401F3.jpeg

spiru

Nov 13, 2019
Spain
Thanks for the info. I am very happy with my Revelate Designs LLC bags, I have the handlebar harness and some frame little bags that I bought 6 years ago when bike packing gear wasn't so easy to find. Super good quality from an independent builder in Alaska. Nowadays there are many brands making this type of gear, inclusive specializes and their Burra Burra line, but Revelate still has some details which make them very convenient for tough traveling, and I like the idea of giving my money to those individuals who were ahead of time designing gear that later became mainstream. I have no connection whatsoever with them, just an old happy customer !

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I like touring, bikepacking style, with my ht stumpjumper. So, now that I have a Levo with 700wh I am considering the idea of doing some e-bikepacking. Obviously I would have to arrange accommodation where I could recharge, instead of camping out.
I don't find much info about people traveling with Levos. Any of you is bikepacking on Levos?
I’m thinking of doing a mini one from Dalwhinnie to Loch Ossian stay at hostel ( it now has electric ) then back out through Arverickie and Loch Pattack. 37 miles each day I would buy food at hostel and minimise load all very weather dependent though. Have done it on non ebike before and not technical but remote so if anything goes wrong it’s a long push back to civilisation. Have a two day pass next weekend but drive train playing up so will see. Plenty out there to plan and that’s part of the fun for me. I’m in Scotland a wee bit colder than you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles