anybody tried these Funkier knee protectors?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
need something suitable for trail riding ...not mad downhill!!:eek:
123089_1_Large.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You'll probably find most of the "sleeve" style pads will be suitable, like the g-forms, IXS, 7iDP Sam Hills (Zimmer rated).

Once you've had them on a few minutes (they normally warm up and form around you), you really don't know they're there.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I ride in Alpinestars Paragons.. sleeve style, and as Zim points out, they're hardly noticeable. I've worn them externally and under trousers, with no difference. Only note I'd add, is order a size smaller than you need, if you are thinking about a pair. My leg was XL on their size chart. I ordered L, having read a few reviews, and they are bob on, with the fit..(y)

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
This week, I have been mostly wearing..... Endura Hummvee zip off II's

Makes a change from my usual, standard, Saturday night, velcro seamed black numbers, I can assure you. Although, these have the added security of adjustable velco at the ankles..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This week, I have been mostly wearing..... Endura Hummvee zip off II's

Makes a change from my usual, standard, Saturday night, velcro seamed black numbers, I can assure you. Although, these have the added security of adjustable velco at the ankles..

Merci !

It can't be easy being a bicycle stripper in Winter. Does the Velcro keep the fluids in ok ??

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Danke! Only if I pull them real tight! Plays havoc with my waterproof, or not so waterproof socks, should I say.. Definately an improvement on those popper type fixings though for sure.. (y)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Danke! Only if I pull them real tight! Plays havoc with my waterproof, or not so waterproof socks, should I say.. Definately an improvement on those popper type fixings though for sure.. (y)

Might have to go on the shopping list .. have you extensively abrasion tested them yet ???

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Might have to go on the shopping list .. have you extensively abrasion tested them yet ???

Not to the lengths that you test stuff.... I like them as the aren't particularly overly emblazoned with product logo's.. Obviously they can double up as a pair of short shorts in the summer, when my long shorts aren't needed.. They are click lock (or whatever their branding is) compatible too, should you wish to spend an equal amount on the liner pants to be fully armoured up in the trouser dept...

I think these are the cheapest this week, well on google at least - Endura Hummvee ZipOff II | Mammothbikes.com

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not to the lengths that you test stuff.... I like them as the aren't particularly overly emblazoned with product logo's.. Obviously they can double up as a pair of short shorts in the summer, when my long shorts aren't needed.. They are click lock (or whatever their branding is) compatible too, should you wish to spend an equal amount on the liner pants to be fully armoured up in the trouser dept...

I think these are the cheapest this week, well on google at least - Endura Hummvee ZipOff II | Mammothbikes.com
We like none emblazoned ! Thanks for the link - they're actually not badly priced - are you sure they're for bikes ? :) I now have a reasonably extensive shorts collection, so don't really want zip off's... I'm a little concerned by the description too "removable resistant and breathable," - What the hell is removable resistant ? Does this mean once they're on, they're on for life ?

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
We like none emblazoned ! Thanks for the link - they're actually not badly priced - are you sure they're for bikes ? :) I now have a reasonably extensive shorts collection, so don't really want zip off's... I'm a little concerned by the description too "removable resistant and breathable," - What the hell is removable resistant ? Does this mean once they're on, they're on for life ?

I managed to get mine off earlier today.. not as quick as my usual weekend fare, however they did eventually drop. Perhaps I stalled a little too long, to heighten the anticipation of the baying ensemble before me, however I can confirm that they are also breathable. Not a hint of matted leg hair!

They also do a full leg version, same name, no zips, I believe chap, should you not be looking to add to your shorts collection.. Google tells me that they can be bought cheaper... another bonus.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Perhaps I stalled a little too long, to heighten the anticipation of the baying ensemble before me, however I can confirm that they are also breathable.
There's a lot of people been having that problem since the forum started offering a live stream service.

I went though all these earlier in the year and gave up in the end .. the Humvee, for my size, sounds a bit tight around the knee if you wear pads. The Single track, from reviews, doesn't offer much in the way of water resistance and gets slated for reduced fabric quality each year. Everything else seems to either get too baggy, too emblazoned or too expensive for me to justify with the high likely hood of impending destruction :)

Dammit ! :) Wonder what Sam Pilgrim wears, he likes throwing himself on the floor...

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I think Sam and Blake Samson, simply wear black denim - or at least they look like they do..

I dont have any issues with my knee pads snagging, and I don't think I've particularly skinny legs chap..

tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing
They also do a full leg version, same name, no zips, I believe chap, should you not be looking to add to your shorts collection.. Google tells me that they can be bought cheaper... another bonus.

Just ordered a pair of these bad boys, £50 humvee trouser 2 from www.cyclestore.co.uk

I really like my humvee 2 shorts so thought I'd try these

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think Sam and Blake Samson, simply wear black denim - or at least they look like they do..

I dont have any issues with my knee pads snagging, and I don't think I've particularly skinny legs chap..

I've never worked out if it's black denim or something else, sometimes looks like there's knee pads - sometimes doesn't ..

OK, so I shouldn't write them off as "snaggy" .. One person's view/review, isn't necessarily the full story - they could have been using some weird knee pad, or have backwards knees.

Just ordered a pair of these bad boys, £50 humvee trouser 2 from www.cyclestore.co.uk

Everyone's doing it ! :) Looks like I've talked myself out of them, twice .. maybe incorrectly ! :)

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I've never worked out if it's black denim or something else, sometimes looks like there's knee pads - sometimes doesn't ..

OK, so I shouldn't write them off as "snaggy" .. One person's view/review, isn't necessarily the full story - they could have been using some weird knee pad, or have backwards knees.

Everyone's doing it ! :) Looks like I've talked myself out of them, twice .. maybe incorrectly ! :)

I bought mine, to give me leg room for the pads. The thought of wet denim didn't appeal to me as we approach winter, or the lack of room, denim would give with pads underneath. There's enough room to allow for pads, however not too much slack to get a beating off when it starts flapping as I head downhill :LOL: There's no 'swishing' of the fabric neither, nor am I statically charged after a ride, with them being 'nylon', so the grin factor comes only from the fact that I've been out riding, not from the material I've been wearing..

Could you not buy, with a free return? That way, you can decide for yourself, and if you agree with a poor review, they can be returned, at no additional cost to yourself?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
nor am I statically charged after a ride

You're not riding properly if this is a problem - regular grounding is a vital part of correct MTBing..... :)

Could you not buy, with a free return? That way, you can decide for yourself, and if you agree with a poor review, they can be returned, at no additional cost to yourself?

Uhm... don't think we have things like that .. Normally if I buy something and it's broken you just have to suck it up and move on as it would cost more to post it back. Though every credit to sports direct on my MTB trousers. I sent them photo's of the right leg liner stitched to the bottom of the leg 360 degrees twisted to the top part (so you can't get your leg in unless you're part snake or have a spiral leg attachment) and they just refunded.

I think you've both convinced me to buy a pair though :) Wasn't that easy ! We like easy.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
You're not riding properly if this is a problem - regular grounding is a vital part of correct MTBing..... :)

Uhm... don't think we have things like that .. Normally if I buy something and it's broken you just have to suck it up and move on as it would cost more to post it back. Though every credit to sports direct on my MTB trousers. I sent them photo's of the right leg liner stitched to the bottom of the leg 360 degrees twisted to the top part (so you can't get your leg in unless you're part snake or have a spiral leg attachment) and they just refunded.

I think you've both convinced me to buy a pair though :) Wasn't that easy ! We like easy.

There's not many who are of the same, elite standard as yourself, when it comes to grounding an mtb..;)

Chapeau to sports direct - I guess the real worry of those aforementioned trousers, would have been when you looked down, post crash, and your leg seams, were straight.... MEDIC! :eek:

Don't the likes of Wiggle et al, offer free returns on unused garments?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There's not many who are of the same, elite standard as yourself, when it comes to grounding an mtb..;)
It's always good to try and excel at something .. even if it's excelling at being bad :)

when you looked down, post crash, and your leg seams, were straight.... MEDIC! :eek:

Love it ! :) That's lucky, I've fixed my trousers !

Don't the likes of Wiggle et al, offer free returns on unused garments?

As far as I know they don't .. Chain reaction doesn't make it clear, though it says they're free for uk customers through asda. Wiggle ... well, their return page is off line at present .....

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I am enjoying this .......Not bad for a thread about knee protection...as opposed to any other kind of accident protection.......

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I ride in Leatt Airflex Pros. Done some 60km rides in them and hardly know they are there. They are also good in the heat, as it’s often over 30deg C here.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles