Anybody know of a turn key solution to replace the derailleur with an IGH?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I destroyed my derailleur two days ago. I found a replacement NX locally, and bought two, becuase I'm sure after seeing how quickly a single branch destroyed the first one, that it will happen again. I decided that once the spare is installed, I would suck it up and order a Rolhoff.
After about an hour investigating the purchase of a rohloff, my head was spinning. It seems as though adding an IGH (internally geared hub) is a science project... and I just want to ride.

Does anybody know of a store, or vendor doing IGH conversions for dummies? I just want to call, tell them what I have, give them a card number, and wait for the box. I'm a competent mechanic, likely better than any of the LBS, especially when working on my own stuff LOL.
Or am I simply asking too much?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
No idea. I had a spare hanger, so initially I started replacing it. It was pretty obvious that the hanger wasn't the trouble straight away. The cage wasn't bent either, initially, but after I tried to fix it... (the cage is now whacked) clearly something was FUBAR and I made it worse.

Best I can tell, the pin that the whole works pivots on is bent. As I was spinning the pivot bolt out, the whole derailleur was walking back and forth a 1/2 of an inch.

Apparently individual parts of a derailleur are not sold separately. Eventually, I will have enough parts to start repairing them as I now have 3. But coming from a motocross background, I really want something I can hit terrain with harder than that delicate bit of kit hanging off the back. I may be misguided here, becuase at my core, I'm not a bicycle guy, I'm an offroad dirt bike guy, and I'll accept that. This whole ebike process is about change and learning, for me, and I'll take advice where given.

I think I'm looking for club or a hammer, but what I have here in the derailleur...is a scalpel.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I'm wanting to ride in this, because I have miles of it around the farm. I used to blast this with my dirtbike. I know it's more like trials than trail riding, but some of my single track empties out into this, and it's a hoot to slam it! I just don't think the derailleur will last unless I'm perfect when navigating it... and I am not perfect! I have the grace God gave a troll.
6878.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Apparently there's no such thing as turn key rolhoff for a through axle boost spacing frame. It can be done, and there's a 52 page pdf that explains how to certify your frame. Even if it's been done before to a Trance e+, this means nothing; each unique frame serial number must be certified before rohloff will distribute the hub.

This is how it was explained to me, but if anyone knows better... by all means correct me... please somebody correct me!

I'm starting the process, but could easily lose interest before I cough up the dough. I'm already thinking a Full Fattie would be loads of fun in those rocks... God help me

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I have completed all the measurements, and submitted them to cycle monkey for review, to see if my G-TE+P1 qualifies to be fitted with a Rohloff A-12 hub.

Wish me luck!

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I have completed all the measurements, and submitted them to cycle monkey for review, to see if my G-TE+P1 qualifies to be fitted with a Rohloff A-12 hub.

Wish me luck!
Good luck! In case you haven't seen it, there's a huge amount of professional installation notes here by Paul Moir from Rohloff Australia.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Good luck! In case you haven't seen it, there's a huge amount of professional installation notes here by Paul Moir from Rohloff Australia.

Yes, thanks. Paul's reviews are totally to blame for this.

With the Rohloff through axle A12 hub though, you have to measure your individual frame. Cyclemonkey has streamlined the process as much as seems possible with an online form.

I should know in a week, if the Trance qualifies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles