Anybody else think this is a drag?

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
He probably doesn’t care much about drivetrain wear… ?
Have tried this in tight switchbacks going uphill to keep the motor engaged, I think it works.
Then, I’m not competing with anyone and I don’t go out when it is 100% muddy.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is a short steep and loose climb that has so far defeated me. I used to be able to do it 7 years ago on an mtb. But those 7 years have had an effect on me that, so far, the EP8 motor has failed to compensate for. I get within a foot of the top before stalling, meandering or looping out. I know that body position is key and all sorts of other stuff too, but so far I have failed. It is becoming a "thing". I will give his brake dragging technique a try and see what happens because the trail surface is really dry and loose at the moment and spinning out is a problem.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Today was sticky mud, and there was simply not enough grip.

I did see some benifit in this technique, but it gained me only a few extra feet of climb before spinning-still. it's not magic until it is.
20210831_112223.jpg

Last edited:

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I drag my back brake around switchbacks. It really seems to help keep things under control. I think I learned it from a GMBN video.

Also on super-steeps, I lower my dropper post a few inches to shift my center of gravity away from the back wheel.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I drag my back brake around switchbacks. It really seems to help keep things under control. I think I learned it from a GMBN video.

Also on super-steeps, I lower my dropper post a few inches to shift my center of gravity away from the back wheel.
Yes. Massaging the brakes gently, to help stay on line, and to help with balance, seems to come naturally with seat time.

This brake dragging as Traction Control during climbs, as Josh is expertly doing, remains mysterious to me.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
I wouldn't worry about excessive drivetrain wear using this technique although it will increase it a little bit, probably about in proportion to the amount it reduces your remaining battery power which might be my biggest concern if I was on a long enough ride for the charge level to come into play.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is a short steep and loose climb that has so far defeated me. I used to be able to do it 7 years ago on an mtb. But those 7 years have had an effect on me that, so far, the EP8 motor has failed to compensate for. I get within a foot of the top before stalling, meandering or looping out. I know that body position is key and all sorts of other stuff too, but so far, I have failed. It is becoming a "thing". I will give his brake dragging technique a try and see what happens because the trail surface is really dry and loose at the moment and spinning out is a problem.
I liked the idea of the brake dragging technique, so I tried it several times but I couldn't make it work for me. I suspect that the climb is too short for me to adjust my finger pressure (maybe I'm just a slow learner). However, I have since got up that climb (a few months ago) and I can now do it 2 times out of 3 (very variable), so I still have some technique to develop.
The approach run-up is severely constrained, and the breakthrough was a faster approach enabled by a higher gear at the start, then changing gear half-way up. Changing gear under pressure is not something I have been good at as my mechanical sympathy has always prevented me. But I found a small spot on the climb where I could change to the next bigger gear and still feel OK about it. That was the key. Now I've got the gear shifting sorted, the thing that stops me the 1 time out of 3, is my front wheel wandering onto the steeper section to the side, where I stall. So, position on the bike still needs some work! :)

It won't be too long before I will be able to nail it every single time! :cool:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles