Anybody Derestricted?

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
hit up Alex @ PLANET3.bike to see if he has one for your bike. I got one for my 2019 Kenevo Expert and I love it. No wires. No messing with downloads that sometimes don't work and no warranty issues. It is a great device and I feel like I am on a different bike. Check it out at least. I looked at so many ways to do this, and this was my choice.

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I don’t particularly want to go faster on the flat, but I’d really like to cut out the surging when one hits the limiter. I presume this gadget does this. Will it muck up the mileage accumulated in the battery? I’m assuming it will show one third of the mileage. I guess it might be worth waiting until guarantee runs out as putting a device like this on one’s bike presumably invalidates it.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I don’t particularly want to go faster on the flat, but I’d really like to cut out the surging when one hits the limiter. I presume this gadget does this. Will it muck up the mileage accumulated in the battery? I’m assuming it will show one third of the mileage. I guess it might be worth waiting until guarantee runs out as putting a device like this on one’s bike presumably invalidates it.

Just go with MsO suggestion, it works great and although by changing the destination you may be breaking some local or state laws, it won't affect warranty. Why persevere with something your not happy with that can easily be remedied.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
But it will affect your warranty here in the UK, won't it?

Why would that be?
You could ride your bike around the world in 12 months and change destinations as you go!
The speed limit is imposed by the laws in your country, Shimano make the motor capable of doing 32kph, just because you were in one country on 25kph limit and then moved to another country with 32kph limit you haven't exceeded the maximum design speed limit imposed by Shimano.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Why would that be?
You could ride your bike around the world in 12 months and change destinations as you go!
The speed limit is imposed by the laws in your country, Shimano make the motor capable of doing 32kph, just because you were in one country on 25kph limit and then moved to another country with 32kph limit you haven't exceeded the maximum design speed limit imposed by Shimano.

I totally agree with your common sense views, but give them a chance to wriggle out of their warranty and they just might/will take it.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I totally agree with your common sense views, but give them a chance to wriggle out of their warranty and they just might/will take it.

I can't see it myself, what if you legitimately lived in a country with a higher speed limit for 6 months then moved back home to the lower speed limit and the motor shit itself, they could probably tell it had changed destinations but on those occasions it was completely legal to do so. How would they ever know you did or didn't actually take you bike overseas to a different destination?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I can't see it myself, what if you legitimately lived in a country with a higher speed limit for 6 months then moved back home to the lower speed limit and the motor shit itself, they could probably tell it had changed destinations but on those occasions it was completely legal to do so. How would they ever know you did or didn't actually take you bike overseas to a different destination?

Would Shimano not say that the app you are using is not an approved one?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Why would that be?
Because only Shimano are supposed to be able to change the limit - they can tell if you have used 3rd party software.

If you need to warranty it as long as you can reset the software back to factory you should be ok

Simebru635

Aug 30, 2019
Surrey UK
Not sure about that but theoretically, it is a statutory requirement, not actually affecting the capability of the motor, seeing as its standard for the US. In my view its worth it as I found the 15mph limit a hindrance on single-track.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Just collected my buggered Jam2 from dealer as he doesn't want it waiting in his storeroom until new motors are available in November (with him for EO10 and WO13 error codes).

He thinks new motors will be available by 5th November but he is on Madison's mailing list to be notified.

He will then want my bike back so he can send the motor to Madison for them to examine it for "damage and tuning" so that's going to be at least another two weeks and another hundred miles road travel for me.

Forget any tuning, anyone who has ridden their e-mtb as it should have been ridden will have scars on their motor casing. Wondering how that will work out as there is already another thread with warranty claims being rejected due to "crash damage".

Sooner the Chinese make some cheap replacement motors, the better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles