Any movement in the Emtb Industry (is there such a thing?) toward forming an organization or joining one?

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
If Emtbs are going to be successful in the US things need to progress. The biggest impediment to Emtbs for LBS sales are actual locations to ride an Emtb! Not many of us will spend thousands of dollars on a bike unless we have somewhere to ride it. I am an active member of a local IMBA/SORBA club and currently ride my Levo on some of our local trails designed for pedal only bikes...I have found these trails lacking in climbing, descending, and technical challenge for an Emtb. Granted, I have found a setting (15% assist, 25% power) that makes my Levo basically a Stumpy so there is opportunity there...but this doesn't justifying the cost of buying an Emtb bike to supplement my pedal Mtb. I am trying to come up with a solution where we can offer proper tails with the proper challenge to offer Mtb riders a new and exciting reason to buy an Emtb.

If you read between the lines the issue here is with liability when building trails. So...either a relationship with the Emtb industry (if this industry actually exists???) and IMBA/SORBA needs to be established. Emtbs need a clear cut acceptance from IMBA/SORBA before local chapters will/can build Emtb purpose trails (or at least create Emtb segments on existing trails). Maybe a new designation or wing of IMBA/SORBA? At the very least some clear guidance from IMBA/SORBA on Emtbs (again...acceptance!!!) for clubs. If this cannot be established maybe a grass roots movement for a totally new E-IMBA organization needs to be started. I hope the former can be achieved rather than the latter as IMBA/SORBA is already established and is (in my opinion) a fantastic and essential organization for mountain biking. It all goes back to liability...IMBA/SORBA's main reason for being (in my opinion) is the trail building insurance they provide to their local chapters. Without this insurance local clubs would struggle to pay the $4-$5,000 annually for this insurance and mountain biking as we know it would certainly fade away. We need NEW purpose built trails and/or NEW segments on existing trails for Emtbs. Who is going to build these? Lots of people would if 1) they can get past the liability issues with affordable insurance and 2) the proper land use can be acquired.

Will Europe take the lead on this? Will it happen in the US first? Who is the leader of Emtbing??? Is there an "industry" for Emtbs?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
IMBA's position is that if the park staff allows emtbs, fine, but they're not going to fight for emtb access. I wouldn't expect much from IMBA.

People for Bikes is pushing for access on the federal and state level, and I think they're making some headway with the national park system and BLM. They're not going to bother for local access though, you'd have to get that going yourself.

Emtb only or specific trails? You're dreaming there my friend.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I think the USA went to slave time maybe if you want forward it will happen sooner if you move. Anyways good luck. In Canada we have snow for fat, 32 kms max, welcome allmost everywhere at the moment, so i hope we do keep what we have. Europe and Asia Ebikes are everywhere much smarter than Ecar. They solve parking, traffic jams.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I have read everything on the IMBA site concerning Emtbs. Seems there is more there every time I go back and check. I agree they are in "wait and see mode"...not going to advocate but not working against either. Trying to hedge their bets.

What is the presence of IMBA in Europe? In Canada? Are there many chapters? Other MTB organizations? Who builds your trails? Who owns the land? How do the trail builders (outside the US) deal with the liability issues?

BTW...in my vision Emtb specific trails would certainly be open for Mtbs as well...in fact I believe Mtb riders would love the challenge (at first)...my idea is to build a Mtb "short track" which could double as an Emtb trail.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Thankfully I live in New Zealand these days. I am certain that if i was back in SoCal I would be getting ticked all the time due to artificially stupid rules.
I remember back in the 70's & 80's seeing so many of the areas friends had rode trail motorcyles for decades being closed due to the Sierra Club and other idiot organizations being allowed to bully our representatives. Hell, there are areas that people horse trekked since the 1920's that are now closed to anything by hiking.
Down here my Pedal Assist bikes are accepted most everywhere I go.
As a trail builder, I have kicked guys on throttle controlled bikes off my trails and will continue to do so as to my mind, if it has a throttle it is an E-Motorcycle.

Me, I don't see a separate organization being a good idea. America needs to be more united - getting organizations like IMBA, SORBA, USAC/NORBA working together to create eMTB policies that are consistent across the board and can be used in all states as basic guidelines.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Me, I don't see a separate organization being a good idea. America needs to be more united - getting organizations like IMBA, SORBA, USAC/NORBA working together to create eMTB policies that are consistent across the board and can be used in all states as basic guidelines.

Good point Rusty. Humm...I am still unsure about the EIMBA idea. I keep thinking about it. Alot of work to get a club started...maybe IMBA would consider something for Emtbs. I think I will email them. It is still all about trails...we need more E specific trails so we can have E specific clubs.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
"we need more E specific trails so we can have E specific clubs."

Will there be patches and a secret handshake? How about dues, gotta have dues

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
In the USA, I think manufactures and emtb owners should have an organization that promotes, lobbies and takes legal action for emtb access.
National EMTB Association. I would be will to pay $50 or so a year for a membership. Manufactures could either pay for the first year membership or donate money for each emtb sale. The organization could promote emtb events, races, skill training, etc. It could also raise revenue from advertising on its website etc.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
"we need more E specific trails so we can have E specific clubs."

Will there be patches and a secret handshake? How about dues, gotta have dues
If you want a patch you can make up one yourself and wear it...it would show everyone you meet you are a "member"...you and your buddies can alter one of your secret handshakes too...just keep it to yourself.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I am still wondering how you deal with liability issues for trails without clubs? If someone gets injured (or worse) what happens when some lawyer contacts the injured rider (or spouse) and wants to sue? The land owner and trail builders certainly have alot at stake. BIG judgements have been levied out in some cases. How can you afford the liability insurance as individuals?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I am still wondering how you deal with liability issues for trails without clubs? If someone gets injured (or worse) what happens when some lawyer contacts the injured rider (or spouse) and wants to sue? The land owner and trail builders certainly have alot at stake. BIG judgements have been levied out in some cases. How can you afford the liability insurance as individuals?

Some cases where? in the US - land of the claim culture?

Generally speaking, in the UK if you spanner yourself on someone's land you sort yourself out and blame yourself for crashing... you don't look to point the finger of blame at every opportunity. You accept some responsibility for your own actions.

I'd say the vast majority in the UK don't hold lability insurance for mountain biking...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles